Just got voom installed!! Brand new software??

lostcause

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Just got voom installed. It was a team of two installers. They did a great job and so far so good. All OTA channels come in strong, all other channels are good. Signal in the 90's on everything. PQ seems good on most channels that I've checked out so far.

Now, according to the installers, the box they set up for me had completely brand new software they have never seen before. Since I don't know the old software I can't really say what's different, but from reading this forum, here are a couple of things that might be different. During the initial setup, it had the option of scanning for OTA channels. In the installer options it has an Installation wizard, the OTA scan is in there.

Also, when you go into the guide, it comes up on the channel you are currently watching.

When I check software version it shows this:

Current software version: V00.01.04
HAL Version: 00.06.00
Middleware version: 00.01.36
Guide version: 00.19.8E

Just thought I would share the info. If anyone has any questions about any features in the software, feel free to ask. I don't know that I'll have the answer, but if it's something I can check in the menus or setup, I'll do my best.

BTW, I know Voom doesn't have sci-fi or USA, but is there a chance they may carry them at some point?

Wow this may be the first "official" sighting. I'm sure that you'll be bombarded with questions - congratulations!!

BTW - have you noticed any audio/video dropouts when changing channels?

Thanks

lostcause said:
Just got voom installed. It was a team of two installers. They did a great job and so far so good. All OTA channels come in strong, all other channels are good. Signal in the 90's on everything. PQ seems good on most channels that I've checked out so far.

Now, according to the installers, the box they set up for me had completely brand new software they have never seen before. Since I don't know the old software I can't really say what's different, but from reading this forum, here are a couple of things that might be different. During the initial setup, it had the option of scanning for OTA channels. In the installer options it has an Installation wizard, the OTA scan is in there.

Also, when you go into the guide, it comes up on the channel you are currently watching.

When I check software version it shows this:

Current software version: V00.01.04
HAL Version: 00.06.00
Middleware version: 00.01.36
Guide version: 00.19.8E

Just thought I would share the info. If anyone has any questions about any features in the software, feel free to ask. I don't know that I'll have the answer, but if it's something I can check in the menus or setup, I'll do my best.

BTW, I know Voom doesn't have sci-fi or USA, but is there a chance they may carry them at some point?
Yours says V00.01.04 - current version is V00.05.68
Which one seems to you newer? ;)

Sci-Fi: that's the only channel which keeps me at DTV, though with a minimal package... having two dish installed just nuts - and I have two now... :)

Not sure what you mean by dropouts, but when I change channels I get some pixelization for about one or two seconds while the new channel is tuning in, then it goes away.

But, I just had the first little glitch...I was surfing up the music channels and suddenly got a "no signal" message on one of the channels. After this, no other channels would come in. I had to reboot the receiver. When it restarted it took about a minute for any channels to come in, and now the guide info is taking its sweet time coming back. I also lost all my settings...for example I had the option of "hiding" some local channel listings that are not from my area. I have to go back and hide them again...same with the "Favorites".

Is there a way to reset the box when it locks up so that I don't lose all my settings?

BTW, the music channels sound SO much better than dtv's!! (yeah..I know..who gets HD to listen to music channels...I guess I'm one of the few, but still...) They don't sound muffled like dtv's do.

T2k said:
Yours says V00.01.04 - current version is V00.05.68
Which one seems to you newer? ;)

Well....logic would dictate that .05.68 is newer, however, the installers told me they have done close to 100 Voom installs and have never seen this software. New screensaver, new setup options, ability to scan for OTA channels, guide goes to channel you are watching...etc..etc... I don't think these were features of the .05.68 firmware....Like I said though, I never saw it so can't say from experience. i'm only going by what I have read, and from what I was told by the installers...

Oh, and it also has an option to activate the account within the menu. No need for the installer to call in. You fill in your account info on the screen, the box dials out, and if all info is right, it activates it.

These might be old options, but as a Voom newb, I really don't know any better and just believed what I was told by the installers.

I'm not sure about the software version number either - I just saw that OTA scanning was an option and I'm pretty sure that's in the new release.

By dropouts I mean sometime when you change channel you may have video but no audio or audio but no video or both :-0 It's a characteristice of 5.68 that I'm hoping they fix in the new release.

BTW, there are rumors that we may get SciFi in July. But I am just passing along what I read on the board somewhere - don't hold me to it!

When you do either a warm or cold reboot you lose all of your program guide info - sorry to break it to you. It seems to help speed up the loading if you don't do anything for about 10 minutes (change channels, etc.) after the reboot.

Lostcause were you or installer able to manual scan for all your locals. This is a two way process. There are two screens one that actually let you know the strength on a particular ota channel that you are looking for and the other one will scan for ota channels within that direction (if the antenna is highly directional).

This only could mean that the software upgrade is really near. lostcause just wondering if in the installation wizard you have the "set output resolution" menu. Also when you rebooted, did you see a screen that said "Rebooting wait..."

KenF, sorry...unfortunately out of all the gadgets I have around here, a digital camera isn't one of them.

Sean,
Yes...there are two different menus for OTA. One gives you the signal strength of the channel you select, and the other is the actual scanning. The installation wizard DOES have the output resolution menu. And when I rebooted I got a screen that said something to the effect of "Please wait..." It had a large Voom logo with the round "HDTV delivered" stamp. The installers said that was new also.

In the signal strength menus it has a horizontal bar with two indicators. One at 80 and one at 85. The indicator at 80 says this is what's needed to lock signal. The one at 85 says that's what's needed to minimize rain/weather fade. The signal strength will show up inside this bar.

"Also, when you go into the guide, it comes up on the channel you are currently watching."

lostcause,

verify this for me. Is it only when you press ALL Channels? or does it work with the FAV list as well and the other lists like All HD Channels?

lostcause said:
Sean,

It only seems to work when you go to "all channels".

I was afraid of that. But it is an improvement. Are you connected through DVI or Component? If you see the "black screen" or the "Snow Screen" please report it. Also, were you able to see the micro stutters before? This software is supposed to take care of that.

Sean Mota said:
I was afraid of that. But it is an improvement. Are you connected through DVI or Component? If you see the "black screen" or the "Snow Screen" please report it. Also, were you able to see the micro stutters before? This software is supposed to take care of that.

I'm connected through component. I'm not sure what black screen or snow screen are but if I see anything like it I'll let you know.

As for microstutters, I wasn't able to see anything before. :) I've only had voom for about 2 hours.

electr0n said:
Sean I have a digital camera - did you want me to take a picture of something on 5.68?

Boy this is exciting!

I miss read your post. I thought that you also had the new software somehow... Thanks :)

BTW,

Sheryl Crow dancing around in HD is not a bad way to start off my Voom experience. :D

where the HE$$ is our update? If they can put it on new boxes why cant they push it out to us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts