Just had Directv Install, couple post installation Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bluemonick

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Georgia, USA
Long time lurker/reader here, first time poster.

First of all, I have been an Dish customer for over 10 years (still have an Dish account with welcome pack/movies active as of now)

I joined Direct because of the great promos offered now such as Free NFST(and to go), $100 Referral credit, and "Watch More Save More" and plus the normal $31 off the first year.

My question are:

On my contract (copy) it says the cheapest minimum base programming packs start at $29.99/mo. called "Basic Choice" and "Preferred Choice", does those packages even exist any more as it isnt even on the Satelitte Guy's July 2011 Directv Channel lineup/listing.

Secondly, it says: "If you selected an HD box, you also agee to activate HD access ($10/mo.). When I ordered online I chose STANDARD reciever and it says that on my Email Order Reciept confirmation. The Install Tech didnt even mention what type of reciever he was putting in or ask me any preference. Currently its not show on the online bill, but don't hope they add it in future months later on (it show on Online Direct site the recieve is an HD model), legally can I be held to the extra $10 Hd fee every month??

Also, what's the deal with if you want to watch sports packages with Direct, you have to use a phone line or internet connection. (I can watch MLBN just fine on dish with no connection). The reciever (even though it was new) had NO ethernet port, and the tech basically said I had to keep this reciever with little input from me. (I guess he would lose money as it would become used equipment?)

Im activating ATT Dry Loop DSL tommorrrow, will this work (using a Direct line to the phone jack, modem in separate room at another outlet)??

Also, a tip for those of you New Directv subscribers, they try to "addon" the Protection plan if you dont watch what your signing in the contract, on mine it had separate sections and I signed everything but the part autoagreeing me to the protection plan.

THANKS ALL FOR ANSWERS/COMMENTS/REPLIES!!

Last edited:
welcome to D* :)
On my contract (copy) it says the cheapest minimum base programming packs start at $29.99/mo. called "Basic Choice" and "Preferred Choice", does those packages even exist any more as it isnt even on the Satelitte Guy's July 2011 Directv Channel lineup/listing.
cheapest package is Family Pack at 29.99

Secondly, it says: "If you selected an HD box, you also agee to activate HD access ($10/mo.). When I ordered online I chose STANDARD reciever and it says that on my Email Order Reciept confirmation. The Install Tech didnt even mention what type of reciever he was putting in or ask me any preference. Currently its not show on the online bill, but don't hope they add it in future months later on (it show on Online Direct site the recieve is an HD model), legally can I be held to the extra $10 Hd fee every month??
what locals do you get? Some markets a HD receiver is required to get the locals but you're not billed the $10 HD access...you get just your locals in HD

Also, what's the deal with if you want to watch sports packages with Direct, you have to use a phone line or internet connection. (I can watch MLBN just fine on dish with no connection). The reciever (even though it was new) had NO ethernet port, and the tech basiacally said I had to keep this reciever with little input from me. (I guess he would lose money as it would become used equipment?)
no phone line or internet needed to get the sports packages

If I remember correctly, when Dish first offered Macon, GA local feed, they said something about it being HD only feed (even had two dishes then), so that might be why?

Dont know what the deal of phone lines required for sports packages. 5 min after install the Sports Mix and MLB EI preview channels were giving me "network connection" errors. Now I can't duplicate it. I can't really test it out til sunday with Ticket and hotpass. Even says on directv.com, on connecting to a phone line enables using the sports packages (I guess for blackout restrictions?)

If you get Macon locals then yes your locals are MPEG4 only. In simple terms only a HD receiver works with those. You are not billed for HD to just view the locals

on the positive...if you add receivers later buy the SD version (they are cheaper) and they'll automatically upgrade you to the HD version

If you get Macon locals then yes your locals are MPEG4 only. In simple terms only a HD receiver works with those. You are not billed for HD to just view the locals

on the positive...if you add receivers later buy the SD version (they are cheaper) and they'll automatically upgrade you to the HD version

Not to highjack this......I have an HD DVR and a HD receiver,if I buy a SD receiver...:confused: or a SD DVR they will automatically upgrade my receivers? Or am I mistaken by what you are saying? :coffee

in MPEG4 markets when you look up the locals on the Directv site if there are no SD channel number and only a HD channel those are the markets where this qualifies
Its really any new market launched and these listed below

Johnstown-Altoona, PA
Fort Smith, AR
Syracuse, NY
Cedar Rapids-Waterloo, IA
Springfield, MO
Davenport, IA-Rock Island, IL-Moline, IL
Champaign-Springfield-Decatur, IL
Evansville, IN
Tri-Cities, TN-VA
Boise, ID
Chattanooga, TN
Greenville-New Bern-Washington, NC
Augusta, GA
Macon, GA
Charleston, SC
Myrtle Beach-Florence, SC

see the below pics. 1st pic is the Cedar Rapids Iowa market...note no numbers in the left column. That means its a MPEG4 market. 2nd pic you see locals in the left column. That means any SD receiver can see it.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• mpeg4.jpg
    mpeg4.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 777
  • non.jpg
    non.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 705
Is this related?:

"We will soon be changing how we broadcast local channels in your zip code. This may require a free upgrade to your DIRECTV equipment. To find out if you qualify for an upgrade, call 1-888-763-7772. Mention "Free 72 Local Swap" at the voice prompt."

now on my account page online.

Im activating ATT Dry Loop DSL tommorrrow, will this work (using a Direct line to the phone jack, modem in separate room at another outlet)??

I don't know what your DIRECTV set-up is,but I have a DECA set-up,which means that my internet connection runs through my coaxial cable to my receivers(HR24-500,HR23-700 with DECA adapter,& HR22-100 with DECA adapter). I also have ATT Dry Loop DSL that runs from the phone jack in one of my bedrooms. I don't know if you have SWM & DECA capable receivers,if you mention what your dish set-up is & what kind of receivers you have,people can help more giving you the proper advice.

I should add that I have ATT DSL dry loop running from my phone jack,as I described earlier,to a DSL modem/router. From there I have my internet connected to my receivers(AND other computers & switches) via DECA.

Is this related?:

"We will soon be changing how we broadcast local channels in your zip code. This may require a free upgrade to your DIRECTV equipment. To find out if you qualify for an upgrade, call 1-888-763-7772. Mention "Free 72 Local Swap" at the voice prompt."

now on my account page online.

yes. But they already upgraded you to the correct receivers/dish ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)