Just had the international dish installed and getting an error msg on on of my DVRs..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Visitor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
The Big Apple
Hi all, I have a HR-24 and a HR-34, and I just had the international dish installed pointing at 95. After doing the Satellite Dish Setup, I get the following error on my HR-34:

20120810_161051.jpg

At first I got this message on my HR-24 as well, but after rebooting it a few times, the error no longer comes up on the HR-24. I'm still getting in on the HR-34, though. Everything otherwise seems to work fine on both receivers. I get 80s-100 signal strength on 95, 99c, 101, 103ca, 103cb on both receivers. I do not get any signal on 99s or 103s, but I am getting my NYC HD locals without issue.

I am a bit confused as to why this error message shows an X for 99 when I am getting good signal strength on the transponders from 99c. Also, I'm not sure why there is no checkmark under 95 even but I guess that's ok since it's not a red box with an X. lol

The biggest thing is why is this only occurring on my HR-34 now.

Other than this, though - everything seems to work fine. I am getting my international channels without problems. I am getting my HD locals without problems. I'm reset the receiver, etc. a number of times, and I still get this.

Any ideas? A 8 channel SWM was installed and the power inserter is inline...

I wonder if I should just ignore it. What I see on this screen just doesn't jive with everything else.

Attachments

• 20120810_161051.jpg
    20120810_161051.jpg
    524.5 KB · Views: 153
interesting as the International channels are on Horizontal transponders so there should be a checkmark under 18volt

But if everything works fine I wouldnt worry. The only other option is to rerun the satellite setup

Any way you could post the signals on your 99 sat?

Yup. Here they are. I actually lied - lol, I guess I was getting some signal strength with some transponders on 99(s) as well as 103(s). I was impatient before

20120810_211735.jpg20120810_212023.jpg

20120810_212125.jpg20120810_212222.jpg

I decided to take a picture of the last two but they probably aren't helpful.

The Satellite Setup option still gives me that message in the first post. Hmmmm...

Ps. Excuse the messy wires behind the set. ;)

interesting as the International channels are on Horizontal transponders so there should be a checkmark under 18volt

But if everything works fine I wouldnt worry. The only other option is to rerun the satellite setup

Thanks - I've been rerunning that with the same results.. Yet everything still works. Strange for the blank box under 95 as well for the 18v.

I'm wondering is this a sign of trouble ahead. Hope not!

Your dish is out if alignment or you have some bad cabling. The 99 should be higher than that. Generally it should be in the low to mid 90's

When a DirecTV installer installs a dish there's a procedure called Install verification, which ensures the dish is aligned correctly. There's a minimum signal level that has to be achieved - your signals on 99c are below that level, hence the X. A correctly aligned dish should have signals in the high 80s at least - mine are all mid 90s. If you get your dish aligned correctly, the signals will be higher and the X will go away.
So does it matter? Maybe not, the only effect of your signals being a bit lower than they should be is you will lose your signals earlier/more often because of "rain fade".

Thanks for the info. Then I guess I'm to assume it's a cable issue because the HR-24 that is also connected does not give me that error. I just did a signal level on the HR-24 and it's slightly higher than the HR-34:

20120811_010139.jpg

I did another signal level and test tonight on my HR-34, and my signal is a tiny bit higher it seems (probably because of the night?) and now I only get one X:

20120811_011159.jpg

20120811_011336.jpg

The difference to me between the HR-24 and HR-34 seems so small to me, but I guess it matters.

Anyway, I appreciate the comments above and I don't doubt that my installer didn't do a great job - but how the heck is a typical customer supposed to know that they are supposed to do this "install verification"? It's frustrating because it seems like *every* single time an installer comes for Directv or Dish for me - they are always lacking in knowledge and often do things that are not complete or wrong. I come to this forum and there are installers everywhere that seem to know everything. Who are these people that install these in my town? Do they skip some training in NYC or something? Sorry to rant, but it was actually two persons here doing this install and I really have so little patience to take another day off of work to have them come out to align it properly or replace the cable.

Now, I didn't have this issue before the install of the international dish at 95, so did something get out of whack during the install of the new dish? Maybe the LNB was shifted... Arrrgh.

Oh, well. I guess it's either I try to do it myself or leave it as is. Or call Directv...

since you just had it installed call Directv. The installer should have had the peak signal before leaving

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts