Just joined the DishNetwork Community

pcstuff

Original poster
Apr 20, 2005
Hi guys,

just signed up for Dish this weekened and already had our system installed yesterday.

I went for the AT60 with 3 free months of AT180, the 625 DVR for 2 rooms. We might just keep the AT180 after the three months. We got the Super Dish installed for free, so I can get international channel programming.

We had Comcast Premium Cable before and when we moved downgraded to Basic, until we would make a decision which way to go (continue Comcast or switch to satellite).

Installer was superb and super friendly (Thanks Marlon :clap). Selection of channels is unbelievable at this price, PQ is very good.

We used a Tivo with Comcast and I will probably cancel it, now that we have a Dish DVR.

I have to say though, the Dish DVR **SUCKS** when compared to the easy to use Tivo interface that my 6 year old can operate without any problems. I will miss my wishlist, season passes, easy to use/search interface. :( :mad:

If anybody can point me into the direction of some "tips/tricks/hacks" to make the DVR easier to use, it would be very much appreciated. :confused:

Other than that, I'm glad i found this forum, it made my decision to join Dish much easier and I'll be here to stay (for a while)!

;)

Welcome and yes the interface of a Tivo is quite different to the interface of Dish DVR. Both have its pros and cons. It takes time to get used to them. I made the switch from Dish DVR to Tivo DVR and it took me sometime to get used to the Tivo interface. But I have learned to appreciate both.

Yes, I just found out about name based recording (Tivo's Wishlist) on the Dish 625.

But I have to say the searching feature is just plain awkward on the 625. You either have to scroll through oodles of guide screens, or type the show name in exactly. Tivo let's you browse programs by time and/or channel much easier.

I'll give it a little bit more time before I make a final judgement though. For now I'll keep my basic comcast channels and Tivo for a few more weeks...

Use your channel guide card which came in your receiver box in conjunction with the guide. type the channel number in and hit select to bring that channel up in the guide. The "skip fwd" button will bring you one day forward in the guide, the "skip back" button will bring you one day back.

Hope that helps!.

While in the guide, pressing a two digit number and the > or < button will take you that many hours ahead or back. 2> will take you 2 hours ahead in the guide. Pressing 2 < will take you two hours back.

As mentioned above, while in the guide, the "skip ahead" button will take you exactly 24 hours ahead in the guide. The skip back button will take you 24 hours back.

The search feature has two settings, one will search program titles only. The other will search program titles and descriptions. If you are looking for a particular program, make sure that you are in the correct mode before pressing "search". If you are looking for a particular actor, switch modes to include the description.

There is also the "Themes" list. Some people love this feature, but I can't find a use for it. Press the < button when watching a standard TV channel and you can search for programs based on a theme. "Movies", Family, children, Sports, etc.

If you are watching TV and want to browse what is on other channels, you can press the > button and a transparent lower third graphic pops up with the current and next program on that channel. Press the channel up and down button (or select a channel number) and it will show you the current and next program on that channel. It's what I do instead of channel surfing now. :)

See ya
Tony

pcstuff said:
We got the Super Dish installed for free, so I can get international channel programming.

Are you sure you got a 121 SuperDISH? There are two different SuperDISHes available: a 105 and 121 SuperDISH. If you got the 105 SuperDISH, you will not be able to receive International Programming without another SuperDISH.

a feature that may seem confusing on the 625 is the Name Based Recording.. which you create a search timer that stays active until you delete it. This feature is called Dish Pass. say you create a dish pass search timer for an actors name. until you delete that timer. you will have every movie and show that actor was in recorded on the hard drive. you can create as many as you want and give each one a priority number incase 2 or more search matchs are playing at same time.

Another feature that is coming soon to the 625 is Dish On Demand. it will work kinda like cable's on demand service works. info on that future software update will become availible once it is released

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts