Just left E for D after 9 years

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Stan Sherman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 7, 2006
I hope I made the right decision. Looking ahead, it seems to me that D has made HD a top priority and that fits with my priorites. I ordered a HD DVR and two HD receivers. I have a few questions:
1. Do the receivers pass 5.1 thru HDMI or will I need to use optical cables?
2. I live in Oregon and have had issues with E sat 129, are there any similar issues with D?
3. How is the PQ on Portland HD locals?
4. Does the HR2O need two cables from the switch or just one like the 622?

Looking forward to a change!!

Last edited:
While I can't answer your questions, and I was not with E* anywhere as long as you were, I can tell you that I got hooked up with D* yesterday. I have heard of a lot of problems with the HR20, so I was kind of worried. It works great, I am getting all of the new HD channels. I don't regret switching at all. Hope that you enjoy D* as much as I am.

I hope I made the right decision. Looking ahead, it seems to me that D has made HD a top priority and that fits with my priorites. I ordered a HD DVR and two HD receivers. I have a few questions:
1. Do the receivers pass 5.1 thru HDMI or will I need to use optical cables?
2. I live in Oregon and have had issues with E sat 129, are there any similar issues with D?
3. How is the PQ on Portland HD locals?
4. Does the HR2O need two cables from the switch or just one like the 622?

Looking forward to a change!!

1. The 5.1 will require the optical cables, which are not included with the receiver.

2. Not that I'm aware of, although we are coming into a period of sunspot activity in the first part of Oct. that may affect the picture/signal strength.

3. I don't know

4. Yes, it will require two cables directly from the sat if you wish to record 2 programs at once. The SWM (single wire multiswitch) is currently in field testing but there is no word on when it will be released for general usage.

1. yes it does pass 5.1

2. no issues at all, heck you can get service in Hawaii or Alaska if you want.:)

3. Not sure but usually they rival the ota feeds

4. yes and no, yes in that its very unlikely you will get a single wire multiswitch as they are still in testing, so you will have 2 lines run

1. yes it does pass 5.1

2. no issues at all, heck you can get service in Hawaii or Alaska if you want.:)

3. Not sure but usually they rival the ota feeds

4. yes and no, yes in that its very unlikely you will get a single wire multiswitch as they are still in testing, so you will have 2 lines run

To qualify #1 it does pass 5.1 if you have an AV receiver that has HDMI inputs, if not you will need the optical cable.

Thanks, I do have an HDMI switching receiver. I can't wait, installation is scheduled for Saturday. The two things that helped my decission 1) Sci-Fi Hd and full rez HD. I hate to give up my 622's since the advent of external hard drives, but I think it will be worth the sacrafice.

67' Samsung DLP, Yamaha RXV-2700, Infinity beta speakers, HDDVD, Blu-ray
42" Toshiba Plasma, Sony receiver
40" Toshiba LCD, Sony receiver

IIRC, the problem with E*'s 129 sat was that it didn't fully cover the contentinal US, parts of the NE, SE and NW had very poor signal readings which some folks could help reduce by installing a dedicated dish for that satellite. The D* sats up there now don't have that problem so as long as you have a clear line of site to 99/101/103/110 and 119 you should be OK.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)