Just ordered a Sonicview 8000HD!!!Anyone else???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I dont know about you,But my pansat 2500a is sooooooooo slow in blindscan...
Thought maybe I would buy something new and keep the pansat 2500a in the family room......JT

... and here with another view, is . . .

So, let me get this straight..
A manufacturer is going to sell you a $400 receiver that can't work well without you already having another receiver, eh?
Now, he's just limited his customer base.
How is he going to attract new, wealthy, non-technical, buyers ?
That alone is a total recipe for failure in the market.
Thank goodness for "other uses" or he'd have not customers at all. :(

If this were 2017, with lots of hi-def FTA satellite channels, then a pre-programmed transponder list might be fine.
But it's not, and hi def is a rare ghost.
Incorporating the best tools to find it is the right thing for today.

Today, we have pre-programmed transponder lists, yet everyone clamors for blind scanning!
Forgiving the lack of blind scanning in new hi def receivers, is just turning a blind eye to the problem.

And, since we are on the subject, adding a USB2 port to support an external hard drive is simple hardware.
Yes, the software is a bigger challenge.
Hitting the market with working hi def receivers is the first phase.
But right after that, sweetening the pie to attract users should be obvious.

I have the patience to wait for both features.

Patience is the key for me as well. I have a blind scan capable receiver (the Pansat 2700) upstream from my PC for scanning purposes. I have a cheap (sub-$50) Twinhan card in an inexpensive AMD Sempron which does a very good job of recording DVB streams, both SD and HD.

So, for just a little more than one of the current crop of HD receivers, I have a full-fledged PC (which also records OTA HD/SDTV), a HD DVB DVR, DVD burning capability for archiving, and a receiver with blind scan capability to find anything that pops up in the sky.

"can't work well without another blindsearch"
it works well. Blindsearch is just another option. Remember, we had receivers years ago without blindsearch. The market were strong, no one ever complained anything.

"Now, he's just limited his customer base."
You are absolutely correct. Believe it or not, "we" are not their "primary" target.
What they go after is those hacker-wanna-be, who don't need blindsearch whatsoever. Take a look what the specs of receivers on the market, things like "24hrs EPG" should tell you something.

Anyways, it's your choice of buying the unit now or waiting for blindsearch to be added. Making suggestion to the manufactures is perfectly fine, but it's kind of weird when seeing people makes such a big deal on the blindsearch option that can easilly solve, even more than that most already have blindsearch. I'll bet you this: most of us who buy or will buy hd receivers already have blindsearch receivers (as already stated), for the rest who buy hd receiver as a 1st one, most of this "rest" are used the receiver for other purpose. What left is only very few who are willing to invest $400-500 for the receiver as a first one without getting the feet wet first.
Let me repeat this again, we are not their PRIMARY target, sad but true.
good luck

So, let me get this straight..
A manufacturer is going to sell you a $400 receiver that can't work well without you already having another receiver, eh?
Now, he's just limited his customer base.
How is he going to attract new, wealthy, non-technical, buyers ?
That alone is a total recipe for failure in the market.
Thank goodness for "other uses" or he'd have not customers at all. :(

If this were 2017, with lots of hi-def FTA satellite channels, then a pre-programmed transponder list might be fine.
But it's not, and hi def is a rare ghost.
Incorporating the best tools to find it is the right thing for today.

Today, we have pre-programmed transponder lists, yet everyone clamors for blind scanning!
Forgiving the lack of blind scanning in new hi def receivers, is just turning a blind eye to the problem.

And, since we are on the subject, adding a USB2 port to support an external hard drive is simple hardware.
Yes, the software is a bigger challenge.
Hitting the market with working hi def receivers is the first phase.
But right after that, sweetening the pie to attract users should be obvious.

I have the patience to wait for both features.

I dont know about you,But my pansat 2500a is sooooooooo slow in blindscan...
Thought maybe I would buy something new and keep the pansat 2500a in the family room......JT

The Pansat 2500 (and my 1500) are slower in blind scan...correct. But it shows on the screen the transponder info. When I see something above 10000 symbol rate I plug it into the 8K to see what it is before the Pansat finishes :)

The Pansat 2500 (and my 1500) are slower in blind scan...correct. But it shows on the screen the transponder info. When I see something above 10000 symbol rate I plug it into the 8K to see what it is before the Pansat finishes :)

That's what I do with my Pansat 2700a and my PC card setup. Except, I try to write it down first. Works most of the time. ( I always manage to mess something up!!) I am still hoping to see the Fortec Passion one of these days. Not just for the HD, but, the 4:2:2 everyone talks about. I find those feeds every now and then and would like to see them. I think that can be done with my PC card setup, but, I have yet to figure it out correctly using either ProgDVB or DVBDream.
I'm sure there are some codec's that need to be added to make that work.
Just don't know yet which ones.
grusome

OK, just a heads up for anyone who purchase a SV-8000 HD , UPDATE THE FIRMWARE, it comes with 1.00 that locks up constantly and has many issues that drove me crazy last night. 1.01 is available on Sonicview's website and fixes many bugs.

FYI: this box does have blindscan but it is not fast, took approx 15 minutes to scan AMC-3 KU. It also seems to have format issues (16:9 4:3) output formats are not what you set them to on component video/HDMI, they stretch EVERYTHING. I will be calling them to report my bugs as I test the box a little longer. If anyone has a question, will try to answer it and will give a review as I have time and more use time of the box.

Jim

By far the best solution I have found for 4:2:2. Is TSReader and VLC. If you are using DVBDream you need to use the Elecard codec.

Great jim let us know what you think the Pros and Cons are of the Sonicview8000.
VIEWSAT makes the Sonicview 8000 so I am sure both receivers are the same.
You are the only one have complained about the blindscan,maybe there is a problem with your unit?But it cannot be as slow as My Pansat 2500a.
Hope to get my sonicview monday or tuesday so I can start playing with it...
Maybe I will get to be a expert like Iceberg lol,But I give Iceberg lots of credit and passing on the infomation to us that are starting out on HD..........JT

johnny
once you get it, I'd really like to know about the pros & cons (and pictures too) ;)

We need more boxes reviewed and such. Makes the hobby much funner. I know when I first got into FTA there weren't many boxes and I didn't know blind scan from smart scan to advanced scan to manual scan to using a computer scanner :)
So I bought what I thought was neat......yep the Viacast 2000
-10 transponder entry
-it scans all channels
-no blind scan
-no channel edit options
-no motor control

but dangit that was a fun box. Then I upgraded to the Pansat 1500 (which is like your 2500 minus s-video, AC-3 output and UHF remote capability) and I thought this was the bomb...it had blind scan

Sorry...going off into a "a few years ago" moment :)

Seriously though...play with it for a few days and let us know what you like and dont like. I literally try to blow the thing up in the first 24 hours to see how it handles everything :)

Another stupid bug to report, DisecQ is not configuring correctly, I tried 3 different Disecq's and they are all doing the same thing. Port 2 on switch is Port 3 on Receiver, Port 3 on Switch is Port 1 on receiver, just a heads up for you Johnny when you set it up. I have not tried the other ports yet but...

EDIT: DisecQ 1 = port 4 on receiver
DisecQ 4 = Port 2 on receiver

Last edited:
Will do the review Pros and Cons of the Sonicview.
The Pansat2500a was a easy receiver to play with.
I hope this unit will be just as easy and more fun........
Hope a few others will give their reviews on the unit.
HD is here to stay.........................JohnnyT (2 tuinals before bedtime lol}

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)