Just ordered Dish HD have a few questions..

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

KrayzieVanh

Original poster
Dec 17, 2006
I just ordered the HD package through their website. I got an e-mail confirmation from them stating that I will be receiving Orbital Locations- 61.5, 110.0, 119.0.

Is anyone fimilar with the install and what type of equipment I will be receiving (Dish and Reciever)? The e-mail also said that I must have a clear view of the southern sky in order for the installtion to be complete, now what happens if the southern sky isnt clear? 61.5 may be south but I thought 110 and 119 was west? Also their install is really soon and I am renting does anyone know how strict they are with the Landlord release form? My landlord lives in another state!

I just checked the locals and it seems that I can't receive any ABC, NBC, FOX, and CBS channels in HD (big reason why I ordered). I'm sorta dissappointed but we'll see.

I'm located in Endicott, NY.

You'll probably get 2 dishes, one for 110 and 119 and another for 61.5. Not sure which receiver you'll get but they should be able to tell you. I don't think any of the Upstate locals are carried in HD but your receiver should have a OTA (Over the air) tuner that you can hook up an antenna for OTA HD signals. I get 11 here in the Rochester area!

Hope this helps, :welcome to satelliteguys and Dish HD!

Go to the tech portal website on dishnetwork.com and find your azimuth for the 110 and 119 satellites as that will be one dish then go to skyangel.com and plug in your zip code for the azimuth and elevation for another dish. What receiver(s) are you getting and what type and how many tvs do you have?

I'm just hooking up one HDTV with one receiver. I guess I'll be getting two dishes.

I could only get FOX HD with an extenal antenna connected to my TV turner. I don't know if I can get 2 dishes and an huge outside antenna with the renting situation.

Has anyone dealth with the landlord release situation? I don't think I can get it back in time by mail before the install. I don't wanna get charged a trip fee because I don't have the docs.

Thanks for all your help.

There are some good indoor antennas that are fairly inexpensive(I use the Zenith Silver Sensor and its great). Got to www.antennaweb.org and it'll tell you how far you are from your towers and what you'll need. There are also smaller outdoor antennas like the Square Shooter that I would think you can get away with too.

I just ordered the HD package through their website. I got an e-mail confirmation from them stating that I will be receiving Orbital Locations- 61.5, 110.0, 119.0.

I just checked the locals and it seems that I can't receive any ABC, NBC, FOX, and CBS channels in HD (big reason why I ordered). I'm sorta dissappointed but we'll see.

I'm located in Endicott, NY.
I do not live in your area but I pass through frequently on business and I see something is strange here. Endicott has to be a part of the Binghamton DMA. I don't see Dish carrying that city at all. HD or SD.
They carry NYC*, Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and a few others near you but no Binghamton and Elmira. Check out <www.dishchannelchart.com> P.S. * means HD available. All others are SD so far. Also, Dish cannot provide you with any of the cities I show above or others to compensate for this but, read on...

If I am right, you will be getting 2 sets of networks in SD from 1. Atlanta and 2. San Francisco from a different company. AllAmericanDirect.com

The channels will come in through your Dish receiver but you will pay $9 per month for the two cities. SD only. It is also a seperate company and it is another (separate) bill. You will not pay or be charged for locals by Dish. You would need these so called "distants".

Another thing, if your interested in MyTV, CW and a couple of "superstations", Dish can give you that. WWOR and WPIX from NYC, WGN Chicago, WSBK Boston, KWGN Denver and KTLA Los Angeles would be what you get in the SuperStation Package. These channels are SD only.

PBS is also, something else. A-la-cart for a national satellite channel. Again, SD only.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bighamton becomes available soon (SD only.. HD will take time) as Dish is trying to shore up the last few cities it doesn't serve and you will be pleased with Dish's national HD line-up.

A good OTA roof top antenna system not possible? You are not too far from Binghamton but Elmira is the opposite direction and further away. A rotator would be necessary. It is also strange that Binghamton & Elmira are not considered the same DMA under the rules as combine the 2 cities and you have one pretty much complete set of networks with no doubles.

Last edited:
I tired OTA, it's weird how antennaweb said all I need was a regular antenna. I went one up and got a amplified antenna (indoor)- still only got one HD channel.

I tired OTA, it's weird how antennaweb said all I need was a regular antenna. I went one up and got a amplified antenna (indoor)- still only got one HD channel.

AntennaWeb says I could harldy get anything but when I had the old roof top antenna going I did get much more than what that site says.

What were you using as a tuner? The 622 has a very good OTA tuner in it, I was able to go from an outdoor antenna on my DTV Tivo to an indoor antenna with the 622.

What were you using as a tuner? The 622 has a very good OTA tuner in it, I was able to go from an outdoor antenna on my DTV Tivo to an indoor antenna with the 622.

Oh, so the turner is also part of the equation! I used the one that is intregrated into my HDTV (Westinghouse 32W3HD). Maybe it sucks. I know that everthing is broadcasted from Binghamton and that isn't too far away from Endicott. I just moved here so I don't know the terrain details (may be an issue too).

One weird HD channel I get it CBS (12.1). It's stated as digital but the output is standard (480i). I can't even get ABC. FOX and PBS I get fine.

The antenna I'm using is an Phillips MANT310, Indoor Amplified (32dB) Antenna (VHF/UHF/FM/HDTV)

Your digital frequencies are 4,7,8 and 42.

Your ABC is broadcasting on channel 4, so you need an antenna better suited to low VHF, or need to spread the ears of your rabbit wider. You might check with the station to see if they are full power, if not your indoor antenna might not be able to pick them up. They are moving to channel 34 in 2009 so I'll bet they are at low power on ch 4 right now.

I looked at the reviews for the Silver Sensor but it seems that its for UHF only. All channels except PBS is VHF.

I also tried moving the Phillips antenna but it's not doing any good.

I'll see if I can get anything with Dish Network reciever tuner. Is there ANY locals on the Bronze package? I looked at the programming guide on DN website and it showed both WCBSDT and KCBSDT.

Don't waste you money on those indoor antenna. Get Terk Antenna TV42 or TV44(two tv's). It connected or attach directly to you Dish. Simplest solution for you HD locals and it already amplified on VHF and UHF.

Jose.

Just an update.

The guy came on time yesterday and the install went perfectly. I didn't choose DVR functionality so I received an ViP211. It's pretty cool. I love the HD channel but I think most of the movies are upscaled (since they are old) but it was still great (Kung Fu HD is awesome!). ESPNHD was alright for the Packers games (too pixilated) but TNTHD NBA was awesome!!!

I hooked up the antenna to the 211 and still received the same channels. At least the 211 has a signal meter so it might be helpful if I try to locate a certain channel.

Overall I am very pleased. Install went great. HD is great. Haven't dealth with customer service yet, but I guess one day I will.

Whoa! ABSOLUTELY DO NOT GET A TERK! A short search on this site should reveal that Terk is viewed as overpriced underperforming junk. They look good, and they may be high profit items for the seller- but they perform poorly.

Search. This opinion is hardly unique to me.

I will challenge that on the terk. I have a terk 44 and my parents down the road have a terk 42. We both get all the sd and HD locals in our area and we are within 30 miles from our broadcast towers. So they work very well. If you are further out then that then yes, look for another option.

They are very easy to install and they give you both satellite and ota on one coax cable running into your house. Terk 44 can give you up to 4 coaxes in to your house for both sat and ota. Terk 42 can give you up to 2 coaxes in to your house for both sat and ota.