Just ordered Dish Network Question

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
I just took advantage of Dish Network's HD DRV receiver deal with 6 months free HD and 3 months free HBO/Cinemax. I requested that I receive the new VIP722 HD DVR receiver that controls 2 TV's.

Question:
I noticed that the TV2 output is only made via RCA style video/audio jacks. Will the installer provide a modulator to convert signal to coax?

I am currently building a home theater in the basement and was wondering if I should distribute video/audio signals via coax or composite video/audio cables. I guess adding this new receiver decided this for me.

Using this home distribution connection do you select what channel you want to distribute the audio/video onto via a menu command?

Correct. It's MODULATOR SETUP. 6-1-3 from the Menu. Choose the lowest channel # you can between 21-69 for the strongest signal. Shouldn't be next to an OTA channel #. Hope this helps.

Ed

You're concerned with the MOD. setup for TV2. Your TV1 Mod setup should be OFF if your TV1 is a HDTV or any TV that allows you to select different inputs.

You're concerned with the MOD. setup for TV2. Your TV1 Mod setup should be OFF if your TV1 is a HDTV or any TV that allows you to select different inputs.

Thank you, selecting channel 21 - 69 will work fine.

However, I am confused by your statement above. My HDTV will be the projector in the home theater once setup. I was hoping I could attach 2 SDTV's upon installation until the theater is completed. However, I would need to use both composite audio/video ouputs or S-video for TV-1 and home distribution for TV-2.

I believe all HD channels are downconverted to be viewed on standard TV's.

However, I am confused by your statement above. My HDTV will be the projector in the home theater once setup. I was hoping I could attach 2 SDTV's upon installation until the theater is completed. However, I would need to use both composite audio/video ouputs or S-video for TV-1 and home distribution for TV-2.

Sorry I confused you, I'm pretty good at that. Yes you certainly CAN use the composite audio/video or S-video & composite audio from TV1. All outputs are active at the same time. The only problem would be if you had the receiver in DUAL mode (independent viewing on TV1?TV2) and your trying to control the TV1 tuner from the other room. TV1's tuner is IR, TV2 is UHF. You won't be able to control TV1's tuner from the remote location. Not a problem in SINGLE mode or if you use the COMPOSITE video/audio outs from TV2 (no S-video on TV2 tuner). You CAN also connect TWO HDTV's and provide a HD signal to BOTH by connecting one via component and the other with HDMI--mirrored viewing, of course and in SINGLE mode. I do that myself. Hope this makes sense:confused:!

Ed

Last edited:
I Work at dish tech support modulator is 6-1-5- in the menu

Reply to old corps - You can make tv 1 UHF just have to have the 6.3 remote pretty much a 2nd tv 2 remote an then but the green tv1 uhf tab in it readdress it in system info then your good to go DUAL UHF!

Also you can hook up two hdtv's in dual mode of course it would be a mirrored t.v. and tv1 would operate independent of tv 2

Thanks TOMAHAWK. I did know that but I didn't wanna confuse him again, LOL. Will Dish send out a Green Tab upon request? You could also just leave the tab off and flip the switch inside, correct? Also, to view TV1's tuner on TV2 (confusin' again) you would then have to assign TV1 a channel on MODULATOR SETUP, correct??? Lotsa questions! Thanks!!!

Ed

Not correct. You can hook both TV1 and TV2 up via coax and view them on separate channels. We have a 625 and a 722 at our house. We have it setup so all 5 of our televisions can view any of the 4 tuners (2 sat tuners on 722 and 2 tuners on 625) by changing channel on the individual television. We accomplished this by setting up the modulation on the 722 for tv1 and tv2 and then feeding them to splitters (reversed to become combiners).

Geoff

yeah well on the hd rcvrs the modulation for tv one coax comes shut off because majority of customers use hd cables--so you would have to turn it on for coax but for viewing tv1 on tv2 you could use combiner solution like GNASH--- to view tv1 one at tv2 you have to have a tv1 cable going to the tv or backfeed through the existing point being there still has to be a connection from tv1 3-4 out to cables feeding other t.v.s so you could just use rca's for tv1 then----sorry long reply just trying to be in depth --- dish can send the remote at your request the reason i say remote and not tab is because the tv 1 remote shipped out for a new connect is a 5.3IR which you cant flip the tab its ir only techs have them with them might be able to buy one off of him or asl him nicely GNASH---- how many remotes do you have for your setup?

yeah well on the hd rcvrs the modulation for tv one coax comes shut off because majority of customers use hd cables--so you would have to turn it on for coax but for viewing tv1 on tv2 you could use combiner solution like GNASH--- to view tv1 one at tv2 you have to have a tv1 cable going to the tv or backfeed through the existing point being there still has to be a connection from tv1 3-4 out to cables feeding other t.v.s so you could just use rca's for tv1 then----sorry long reply just trying to be in depth --- dish can send the remote at your request the reason i say remote and not tab is because the tv 1 remote shipped out for a new connect is a 5.3IR which you cant flip the tab its ir only techs have them with them might be able to buy one off of him or asl him nicely GNASH---- how many remotes do you have for your setup?
We have 4 remotes (the ones that came with the 625 and 722's). When we are sitting in the fireplace room (where we initially set all this up for), we take the remote from tuner 2 of the 625 (as it is the closest to the tv and is UHF).

Geoff

To review, the 722 has the following outputs. ALL are active all the time:

TV1
HDMI
Component
S-Video
Composite
RF (Channel 21-69)

TV 2
S-Video
Composite
RF (Channel 21-69 -- different channel than TV1 on the same cable)

If the receiver is in single mode, all outputs have exactly the same singal going out.

If the receiver is in dual mode, then the TV1 and TV2 outputs are separate and controllable through the proper remote only*.

You can hook up TVs in any way you want to any connector as long as you remember the "dual mode" remote issue.

*--there is a way around this purchasing a specific replacement remote, but not easy to get.

See ya
Tony

Sorry if i made it seem complicated IT IS NOT call in to dish ask for a 6.3 remote (or tv 2 remote) we send them out all the time we do not send 5.3 if your 5.3 goes bad we send the UHF 6.3 ---the remote is 19.99 plus 4.95 shipping comes with a baggy of tabs to makeit work tv1 tv2 -GNASH---hey whats your account number let me send you another remote free of charge to stop the running back in forth! hahaha i could but im just playing !

Another question:

I already have an HD OTA antenna, but it is installed on our back deck and currently not being used due to some trees being in the way. I wanted to reinstall it on the roof, but never had time. If I uninstall this antenna and have it ready will the E installer install it for me on the roof while he is installing the dish? He could probably use diplexers to send OTA onto the same coax.

If I uninstall this antenna and have it ready will the E installer install it for me on the roof while he is installing the dish?
Not for free. You might be able to get the installer to hook up the diplexer on the roof if the antenna is completely set up and the cable is run to the dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)