Just preordered a Panny VT30 plasma

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Value Electronics has a good deal going on, and I hope to see it in early April. Got the set, a BDT110 3D player (comes in deal) and bought a second pair of glasses.

Excited about this one.

So I realize that it does 3D, which i don't care about, but have they reached the quality of the last Kuros yet in non-3D PQ?

Last years blacks achieved 1st gen Kuro, not 2nd (last) gen Kuro. This year is expected to be better, because it's the first year they are using CEL (kuro tech) + NeoPDP. Also getting better video processing. IMO, NO it is not as good as the last gen Kuro, but its pretty much the best 2D and 3D tv you can buy.

There is some discussion that some of the Kuro tech does not play well with the Neo PDP tech. So in coming years Panny might be changing more to implement more Kuro stuff.

Thanks for the update! I'm waiting for the test results to see if they can really do it. Can't wait until you get it and calibrate it. I've shared the my calibration report from my 60" Kuro with you before and as I'm sure you remember they are amazing. I hope that this generation of Pannys can achieve at least that level as I am ready for this to technology to get better and better! Thanks for taking us on your journey!

No problem. I may for a break in and Kevin Miller/D-Nice calibration before it ships, so that when she comes in she's ready :).

Now I just gotta wait 4 months, booooooo. Just from my readings, I gotta think this one will win best 2D and 3D set again this year.

Here is a CES report from Robert Zohn, over at High Def Junkies, that has since been confirmed by a Panny employee:

here's a few things I learned at CES from several of my contacts at Panasonic. The biggest VT30 upgrade in regard to the panel from the 2010 VT25 is with the louvert filter. This year the VT30 get the new infinite black pro2 panel with deeper blacks. So the contrast ratio is higher. The MLL is lower and the peak brightness is higher. The filter is actually darker and has an better anti-glare coating.

Other advantages this year are:

Even faster decaying phosphors, last year was the first year Panasonic pioneered the fast switching phosphors.

The firing cycle that ignites the phosphors to peak brightness is now been switched to be at the beginning of the cycle so the phosphors naturally begin to dim near the end of the firing cycle, further reducing phosphor lag for 2D/3D viewing and reducing 3D cross talk.

The gate that is between the firing cycles is longer which also helps reduce phosphor lag and 3D left/right leakage.

This year we have a new LSI chip set, which should greatly improve the video processing.

I also like the RS232 ISF day/night calibration modes so a professional calibrator can peak the pq for high and low ambient light conditions.

-Robert

Well, I was getting the 55", but broke down today and upgraded to the 65". Why the hell not, right?

It is strange how TV sets downsize as you watch them. My dad got a 65" panny plasma and now it looks normal sized, it does not dominate his room or anything.

Hehe. Yeah.

I am OK with a 55", but figured that this will be my last tv purchase for awhile, with it being a top of the line set. With 3D, might as well go big or go home. I think Im gonna wall mount it, just need to find a mount I trust, little leary of a 120 lb 65" piece of glass on the wall, but people have been wall mounting for years so I need to stop being a chicken.

Congrats!!

Still waiting on you to go FP. Once you do you will be asking "what the hell took me so long".:)

I'm still waiting to get my X3 mounted.

S~

Didnt you plan to buy a C8000 before you got the VT25? Any reason?

Ive been looking at wall mounts, and have decided to put the 65" up on an articulating mount. Sanus has a nice one, but its around $400, mono price has them for 1/3 that and Ive heard good things.

The stud layout behind my 58" means I can keep the tv centered where the S2 is now and hit 3 studs.

IMG_2239.jpg

teachsac said:
I'm still waiting to get my X3 mounted.

S~

Hate it for you. Sounds like JVC were not prepared for several things when these new projectors were shipped. Ceiling mounts, emitter and glasses along with the big demand for these projectors.

Lack of communication between Chief, Distributors, and JVC on what would actually work with this projector. Distributor had to order the mount from NJ. In CA, they had none. HAd no problems with the emitter and glasses.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)