Just returned to DirecTV satellite

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
Well, I tried several live TV streaming services but became frustrated with most of them. They use a remote with just the "OK" button and 4 arrows. Any action requires multiple pushes and scrolling. Even Sling eliminated the ability to record just one episode of a show. Just because I see one episode of Star Trek TNG that was a favorite does not mean that I want to put every show they ever made in a list. I am not sure if Spectrum cable (my internet service) even offers an old fashioned cable box anymore. They only advertise their stream service on line. I suspect if I could get into their office in person they may still have cable boxes but why bother.
So far I am very pleased with DirecTV's service. My only complaint is that the lower profile channels are still in SD and the picture is stretched wide. The SD channels with the antenna (-3,-4 types) are full 16X9 aspect ratio and not nearly as blurry. Why does DirecTV not at least get the SD channels to the same quality level as with an antenna?

dtv stream has a cable like box and remote i think there the only service that does also. spectrum still has cable boxes and dvr boxes with remotes as well.. but why bother with spectrum once the promo is up you'll end up leaving them anyways since they won't give you another one!!! i dont like the craptastic roku OS nor the remote

Spot on. I can't stand all the clicking scrolling and spinning circles. I DREAD Sunday Ticket going to this sub-par, inferior system.

Another consideration in my choice of satellite over streaming is that I am on a reduced or no fee internet program. I was getting by with a less expensive and very inferior service. My entire neighborhood was declared as a undeserved rural community. The maximum speed is about 30mb/s which is more than sufficient for my computer and even when I tried streaming TV.
However, the cable company warned that this program may not last forever. Although some kind of internet is a necessity nowadays I would rather not be locked in to needing it just to watch TV. That is why even though I am quite pleased with DirecTV I am not taking down my antenna.

Another consideration in my choice of satellite over streaming is that I am on a reduced or no fee internet program. I was getting by with a less expensive and very inferior service. My entire neighborhood was declared as a undeserved rural community. The maximum speed is about 30mb/s which is more than sufficient for my computer and even when I tried streaming TV.
However, the cable company warned that this program may not last forever. Although some kind of internet is a necessity nowadays I would rather not be locked in to needing it just to watch TV. That is why even though I am quite pleased with DirecTV I am not taking down my antenna.
the money you can save going from directv to directv stream will pay for an internet connection.
was $70 for me. still have the same channels for the most part, even added hbomax so its now only $55 savings

Reactions: Don in CT and comp9
How is a better picture inferior?
i heard dtv stream has the best PQ of all of em!!! i tried sling tv and the PQ sucked it was in 720 p and it macro blocked same with fubo tv as well. i don't know if i could wrap my head around watching sunday ticket with everyone hitting the servers hard :oops:

if your getting spinning circles, you need better internet to your streaming device
How do I do that? Start my own internet service company? I only have 1 choice, Comcast. I am at the end of the line, on ancient Adelphia lines. Most people do not have choices for things like internet and electricity. It is supposedly 200 mbps but if it gets to 100, that's a good day. Most days it's in the 30-60 range.

How do I do that? Start my own internet service company? I only have 1 choice, Comcast. I am at the end of the line, on ancient Adelphia lines. Most people do not have choices for things like internet and electricity. It is supposedly 200 mbps but if it gets to 100, that's a good day. Most days it's in the 30-60 range.
You are leaving info out-
is that speed via wi-fi
what router
are there other speed options
how far away is the router, for example my house is 4500 sq feet, so the speed really dropped from the main router, so I had to add 6 wired access points
have you called Comcast to fix/check your lines.

i heard dtv stream has the best PQ of all of em!!! i tried sling tv and the PQ sucked it was in 720 p and it macro blocked same with fubo tv as well. i don't know if i could wrap my head around watching sunday ticket with everyone hitting the servers hard :oops:
Apple broadcasts in 4K.

Reactions: John2021