Just starting - Help/advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tonyk120

Original poster
May 27, 2009
Milford, MI
Just got back from a camping trip with my brother-in-law and he used his FTA satellite which got me interested in replacing my cable TV. It seems to have everything I would ever watch. I have a couple of questions for the experts:

1. He uses a Viewstat 2000 receiver, are there any ratings available on receivers or recommendations?
  2. I use TV in two rooms (both in motorhome and home). I would assume I can connect two receivers to one dish? advice?

- yes, we can supply you with a short list of excellent receivers... and the Viewsat 2000 won't be on it.
- yes, equipped properly, a single dish can feed the same satellite signal to two receivers with no problem.
- once set up at home, it would be easy to move the receivers to your motor home and back.
- do answer the question by meinename, above.

- yes, we can supply you with a short list of excellent receivers... and the Viewsat 2000 won't be on it.
- yes, equipped properly, a single dish can feed the same satellite signal to two receivers with no problem.
- once set up at home, it would be easy to move the receivers to your motor home and back.
- do answer the question by meinename, above.
He was using about a 30 inch old Dish 500 dish. I am interested in all the adapters,receivers, etc. I may need? I have an old Dish 500 in the attic from over 5 years ago.

A dish 500 is only 20 inches or so and is undersized for FTA use. From the combination of receiver type and dish used it sounds like he was using 3rd party firmware in the receiver and stealing the signal. Otherwise there is very little to be seen on such a setup.

A dish 500 is only 20 inches or so and is undersized for FTA use. From the combination of receiver type and dish used it sounds like he was using 3rd party firmware in the receiver and stealing the signal. Otherwise there is very little to be seen on such a setup.

Ghia is probably quite correct,

I was going to say that this is possible as DN works with people who travel and go RV'ing and still want to take their DN service along, but you won't be doing this with a Viewsat receiver or any other receiver than a DN sub box.

DN is really good on working with their customers in this regard. But, don't steal the signal from them.

Also, and no offense to anyone, but when I go camping, I go camping without electricity and without TV and without radio. That is what I wish to escape from and I go camping in remote areas with no contact with the rest of the world. That is just my personal style.

RADAR

> Also, and no offense to anyone, but when I go camping, I go camping without electricity and without TV and without radio.

You don't take the 6 foot C Band dish with you?

He was using about a 30 inch old Dish 500 dish. I am interested in all the adapters,receivers, etc. I may need? I have an old Dish 500 in the attic from over 5 years ago.
Unless you enjoy NASA and Angel One and the 3 radio channels ALOT, :D
that would be theft of services :mad:

Thread related:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...-about-stealing-satellite-tv-think-again.html

Now if you want to take a motorized 30" inch dish (or larger) setup- on say a tripod- looking for the unencrypted signals up there, we'd be glad to help. :)

OT: I take my FRS/GPRS radios (with Wx) on me camping and that's about it.

> Also, and no offense to anyone, but when I go camping, I go camping without electricity and without TV and without radio.

You don't take the 6 foot C Band dish with you?

Ha Ha! Nope! I am pretty content with a can of worms and my fishing pole and an old grungy sleeping bag.........

And this lamp! That is all that I need.................

And this tennis racket. And that is all I need...

LOL! :)

RADAR

Ha Ha! Nope! I am pretty content with a can of worms and my fishing pole and an old grungy sleeping bag.........

And this lamp! That is all that I need.................

And this tennis racket. And that is all I need...

LOL! :)

RADAR

No paddle game, matches or ashtray?

- yes, we can supply you with a short list of excellent receivers...

I am also thinking of purchasing an FTA system and would be interested in the 'short list'. Should I be considering an HD receiver as all of my TV's are HD? Is it worth the price difference?

Thank you for any words of wisdom. :)

You'd get better exposure if you started your own thread.
There's very little full time HD right now on free to air, PBS , FashionTV, NASA HD when there's a mission going on. If you like sports and want to scan the satellites for the live feeds, some can be found, and some are in HD (and a lot are transmitted in formats that require fancier equipment or computer-card type receivers). Not trying to throw cold water on ya, but right now HD isn't worth the cost to me, I'm sure it will be later on. Stay tuned for more opinions, and welcome to the forum!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)