Just switched from Dish Network to DirecTV.... One man's feelings

smitbret, your detailed post is the most accurate I have seen describing both services. Kudos and enjoy your new service.

Thanks. This is what I needed as I am moving over to DirectTV after the NHL Package is done with. ATT has a good bundle since I need to also speed up my DSL, which is really why I'm switching.

The OP's experience is a clear case of the effects of Dish's draconian additional box fees. If Dish had a real whole home solution, one probably wouldn't need additional boxes, in many cases. Right now the ONLY real problem/complaint I have with Dish's pricing and what would be the single biggest factor to leaving Dish, is the outrageous additional boxes fees. I am really re-evaluating my option, and I have to say I am willing to take all the compromises of DirecTV DVR's compared with Dish's--even the excellent external HDD option with Dish--for the power and SAVINGS of DirecTV's whole home solution.

A new DirecTV customer gets an HR24 and H24 free. The OP probably got that, then paid the standard $199+tax for his second HR24. Keep in mind all these prices are for leased boxes.

Dish lost me in 2004 for very similar reasons. They wanted an exhorbitant amount to get me from SD to HD. I moved to D* 7 years ago and have had Premier vs. AEP ever since. A little over $100/month for nearly 7 years means Dish lost out on over $8,400 in revenue because they couldn't shave $200 off the price they were asking. Of course, once I was completely installed with DirecTV, Dish called a week later offering exactly what I had asked for before making the switch.

How did you get **2** HR24's and a H24 for $209?
Depending on who he talked to in signing up, that does sounds right if you add in the tax for a sub-total of $198 + 6% sales tax. It's more than I paid, so it doesn't sound out of order.

I got all those for $99 when I signed up. I coulldn't figure it out and gave up trying. I'm sending the H24 back today since I only have 2 TV's.