Just switched to D* for mpeg4 -- now I'm confused

swartzfeger

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ
All,

I've been a E* subscriber for about 1.5 years and live in an area where we can't receive HD OTA. Long story short, I've been dying for HD locals, kept hearing about D* and their mpeg4 rollout (I live in the Phoenix area, which is due very soon), and heard nothing in regards to Dish having *anything* in regards to HD locals. From what I gathered, E* didn't even have plans until 2007.

I ordered the DirecTV mpeg4 receiver today, and now I read that E* is launching HD locals Feb 1? Lol, these changes happen so quickly I can't keep up with them! :)

Did I jump the gun by making the switch? The only saving grace is that it looks like E* is prioritizing new customers, so if I stayed with E* I'd probably have to wait (and pay to upgrade from my 811).

Anyone know how soon E* subscribers in Phoenix, AZ will get their HD locals?

Thanks! (it may not be too late to cancel my order...)

You may have jumped the gun, unless you are upset at the upgrade options. For the market info, the best I've seen is the in the following Uplink thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=52350.

You'll have to dig through and see if your local's station names are listed. Timing in all of the releases has been 06-07 depending on the market.

I'd venture to say that even if the uplink report shows Phoenix, it's not guaranteed since the press releases only committed to top markets like Chicago, Boston--see release-- accounting for 50% of the US. All depends on satellite capacity probably and since they can't go Mpeg 4 for a while that will keep us all guessing.:confused:

swartzfeger said:
All,
I've been a E* subscriber for about 1.5 years and live in an area where we can't receive HD OTA. Long story short, I've been dying for HD locals, kept hearing about D* and their mpeg4 rollout (I live in the Phoenix area, which is due very soon), and heard nothing in regards to Dish having *anything* in regards to HD locals. From what I gathered, E* didn't even have plans until 2007.
I ordered the DirecTV mpeg4 receiver today, and now I read that E* is launching HD locals Feb 1? Lol, these changes happen so quickly I can't keep up with them! :)
Did I jump the gun by making the switch? The only saving grace is that it looks like E* is prioritizing new customers, so if I stayed with E* I'd probably have to wait (and pay to upgrade from my 811).
Anyone know how soon E* subscribers in Phoenix, AZ will get their HD locals?
Thanks! (it may not be too late to cancel my order...)
swarts why cant you get any OTA? Man lving in phoenix was the best place for OTA I got everything I lived up in north glendale and with a medium antenna and no amp I got eversingle station. They put em all up on south mountain now in the same area so no more moving antenna. Unless your hosed and are behind camelback even then I would give it a shot.

Frazier said:
I'd venture to say that even if the uplink report shows Phoenix, it's not guaranteed since the press releases only committed to top markets like Chicago, Boston--see release-- accounting for 50% of the US. All depends on satellite capacity probably and since they can't go Mpeg 4 for a while that will keep us all guessing.:confused:

Uh, Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the US, and DMA #14. And the high DBS penetration levels makes it even more of a priority. When SD LIL was launched, Phoenix was one of the very first markets (at least on DirecTV, which I had at the time.) It is very high priority- if they only planned 10 markets, it would probably squeek in there. But they are planning 48.

There may be a little juggling in that list of 48 markets...although they seem so specifically picked- Springfield MO for example- I'm betting they are all set in stone.

As for MPEG-4- well, it might be working on Feb1st, it might not. We have no idea what's going on. The bigger issue is getting Echostar X launched and deployed. As soon as that happens, they could turn on at least the top 20-25 markets, maybe even more. MPEG-4 is more important for their long-term goals. Note that the 48 local markets were announced very recently, after it became clear that MPEG-4 was having problems. Perhaps that list was the result of this question..."What if we get the new spotbeams up, but not MPEG-4?"

I'm not engineer, but I can look at the spotbeam maps, and I can do simple math. Between Rainbow 1 and Echostar X, 48 markets is a very realistic goal.

Also, they can start with the big 4 networks, and add WB, PBS, and/or more later. (Based on the current uplink channel numbers, it looks like they are planning on 6 HD per market.)

Swartzfeger, Phoenix WILL be on DISH, the question is when. I'm expecting April or May, and would be surprised if it doesn't happen by the end of summer.

The main delay in markets on Echostar/Dish will be the launch of E10, its testing, then the switchover to the new satellite. They will put what markets they can up on 61.5 and 129. They appear to be running E5 in 1/2 power mode, so they will be able to serve all 32 TPs on it. Last I looked they were using about 19 TPs, each market is getting 1 TP at this time so I suspect they will put up about 13 markets on 129 before they get E10 working. Once E10 is working they will move a ton to 110 (where E10 is going) and be able to add a bunch more markets.

Note that they already have LA, Chicaco and Albuquerque uplinked, on 129. Plus NY & Boston on 61.5. Looking really strongly like they will be able to get about the top 20 markets done before E10 goes live.

Last edited:
jmcgee_jr said:
swarts why cant you get any OTA? Man lving in phoenix was the best place for OTA I got everything I lived up in north glendale and with a medium antenna and no amp I got eversingle station. They put em all up on south mountain now in the same area so no more moving antenna. Unless your hosed and are behind camelback even then I would give it a shot.

I live in unincorporated Maricopa County, Scottsdale mailing address, about 30 minutes NE of Frank Lloyd Wright/Hayden in the Rio Verde Foothills, surrounded by 360° mountain views. I'm probably at least 40 miles out from the antennas. I've tried almost every OTA antenna there is. If you wanna drive the 3 miles down the dirt road to my house and get it to work, be my guest. :)

jmcgee_jr said:
and if you cant get it then personally I would drop E* and D* and get cox they have a decent pricing for HDTV with DVR now IIRC.

Heh, I wish. Before I moved from my old house in Scottsdale I was loving life -- had the full Cox HD/hi-speed/phone package, had my HD locals, no problems when the monsoons rolled through. I absolutely despise satellite (I won't even start my rant on picture quality). That's the price I pay for moving to the middle of BFE. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts