Just switched to D* from E*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kirbyhawk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
iowa
Had an installer come yesterday and switched me from Dish Network to DirecTV. He did a great job, was very professional, and took his time to do it right. He did install a SWM system for me, so that was cool too.

My impressions so far:
1) The HR series is slower than the 722, but it isn't something that annoys me. I like the interface, and the software has more interactive features than my 722 did.
2) My locals are in HD now, (not with Dish), and they look fantastic.
3) I love flipping through all of the RSN's in HD, even though there may be a game blacked out. For sports fans, there are shows in HD on the different networks that are interesting and not blacked out.
4) The MLB network is awesome
5) My wife, who knows nothing of the differences between D* and E* made the comment to me after watching for a while "The picture seems a lot sharper and more colorful than it did with Dish." I concurred. It does look better to me, but not sure I could ever prove it.
6) I love the fact that they gave me two HD receivers for my two standard definition TV's for free, so that in the future I can update them to HDTV's as well.

All in all, I am one very happy customer! If there is any other E* customers thinking of switching I would be happy to answer any questions.

Had an installer come yesterday and switched me from Dish Network to DirecTV. He did a great job, was very professional, and took his time to do it right. He did install a SWM system for me, so that was cool too.

My impressions so far:
1) The HR series is slower than the 722, but it isn't something that annoys me. I like the interface, and the software has more interactive features than my 722 did.
This seems to be the common assessment. Dish's VIPs are faster and Direct's HRs are more interactive
Direct does offer more HD LILs. Locals are important to many subs so they should look into which provider offers what, when it comes to locals, before they make their decision.
3) I love flipping through all of the RSN's in HD, even though there may be a game blacked out. For sports fans, there are shows in HD on the different networks that are interesting and not blacked out.
You can aviod those blackouts if you want to pay more.
If you want to see the games that are blacked out you can sub to a particular sports package such as EI for MLB and LP for NBA, ex.
I agree. One of the best stations on TV. Of course I am a little biased being a baseball fan and all. :D
5) My wife, who knows nothing of the differences between D* and E* made the comment to me after watching for a while "The picture seems a lot sharper and more colorful than it did with Dish." I concurred. It does look better to me, but not sure I could ever prove it.
Most probably would not be able to tell the difference in PQ unless you did a side by side comparison with everything set exactly the same. Of course, even then many people probably would not be able to tell. From what I have heard from thost that have both or had both, Direct is slightly better in PQ. Dish does now have more basic HD channels than Direct however.
6) I love the fact that they gave me two HD receivers for my two standard definition TV's for free, so that in the future I can update them to HDTV's as well.
They seem to be doing this a lot as it is cheeper for them in the long run.
All in all, I am one very happy customer! If there is any other E* customers thinking of switching I would be happy to answer any questions.
Glad to see you are happy. :up

The output of different brand receivers vary. You could have tweaked your Dish input settings for more color, sharpness, etc.

The output of different brand receivers vary. You could have tweaked your Dish input settings for more color, sharpness, etc.

kab,i noticed the same thing when i switched to directv last year. the hd channels for directv do look a little better than dish. hemi has mentioned this also. it's a little sharper and less grainy. :)

My impressions so far:

i'm glad to hear all went well. you wont be disappointed with D*. welcome :)

why am i even more confused by the "Clarification" ?

I think that what he's saying is that E* offers local HD channels in more DMA's. But within the DMA's that D* does currently offer channels, they often offer more of them in HD. In my DMA, E* has 4 channels in HD, D* has 6. Hope that helps a bit.

I counted over 200 HD DMAs for Direct. If that is the case, then they really blow Dish out of the water in local HD markets
They don't have that many, the numbers are the DMA numbers for the market (see like between 172 and 178 the DMA's aren't covered by HD LIL for example).

On 4/1 according to DISH Network - Investor Relations - 1.888.825.2557 Dish had 130 markets and that's higher now since they've added more since then.

It looks like Harsh was correct. They must have just taken over the lead because Direct was ahead for a long time.
It helps to do research instead of going from memory.

In not-so-round figures, DISH has 177 SD LIL markets and 135 HD LIL markets versus DIRECTV's 150 SD LIL markets and 125 HD LIL markets.

I haven't counted up the total LIL channels carried, but I'd guess that the HD stations total in DIRECTV's favor.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)