Just thought I would throw that out!

Slamminc11

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
So let me get this straight, you all b*tch because Dish equipment has some hick-ups (and show me a companies who's receivers don't at this point) but if Dish doesn't put out the "latest greatest" faster than anyone else, you all still b*tch? I guess when someone signs up for Dish or Direct they also sign up for the "no patience plan" as well. Who's plan is cheaper anyway, DishWhine or DirectWhine? No wonder neither company can keep their call center people more than a couple months. IT'S ONLY TV PEOPLE, NOT SOMETHING REALLY IMPORTANT LIKE BRAIN SURGERY! Just thought I'd throw that out! :rolleyes:

Don't let the forums drive you crazy :D You gotta remember the forums are a very small sample of DBS subscribers that are only mainly on here because they have a whine. Most of the 25 Million people that have DBS are just watching it with no problems and don't come to places like this that give them a false sample of satellite problems.

well, at least with Charlie, you know it will be with American money, not something from "down-under"!

Slamminc11 said:
well, at least with Charlie, you know it will be with American money, not something from "down-under"!

DirecTV is an american corporation. And I also believe that good old Rupert has become an american citizen. Plus, have you ever seen Aussie $'s, they're kind of neat. They're made of plastic and hold up a lot better then the US green backs.

As for your "it's only TV" comment, yes it is. And that's why you should be able to sit down with your remote in your hand and watch what you want without having to power cycle boxes, run check switches, have recordings that you've set not work, all the typical things that E* STB's require that you do.

rad said:
...Plus, have you ever seen Aussie $'s, they're kind of neat. They're made of plastic and hold up a lot better then the US green backs.

Doesn't matter to me: The dollars I have are not in my possession long enough to get worn :mad:

Third

but seriously... while i was with dish it seemed for every hour i actually watched tv i had to spend 15 minutes messing with a receiver. Especially the 811 and 522.

With Direct. I have 2 receivers that havent even been rebooted or power cycled since January 1. the other 2 only got reset cause I had to unplug them to move them.

My SA Tivo got plugged in when I moved into my house in September 2001. The only time it has been rebooted is when the power went off. It has not missed a SINGLE recording since I bought it in late 1999. It's a first generation box that got done right the first time. Why can't dish do something like that?

No,

Don't know if you're trolling or not. But, we bitch because a receiver that's been out for over a year still has an extrordinarily high incidence of problems that stop it from working, and make it unreliable. And, because they discontinue the model before it gets fixed. And, because they charge a LOT of money for it.

I expect my phone to work all the time. I expect my microwave to work all the time. So please explain why I shouldn't expect my Dish receiver to work all the time?

Like somebody else said, which company signs your paycheck?

Slamminc11 said:
So let me get this straight, you all b*tch because Dish equipment has some hick-ups (and show me a companies who's receivers don't at this point) but if Dish doesn't put out the "latest greatest" faster than anyone else, you all still b*tch? I guess when someone signs up for Dish or Direct they also sign up for the "no patience plan" as well. Who's plan is cheaper anyway, DishWhine or DirectWhine? No wonder neither company can keep their call center people more than a couple months. IT'S ONLY TV PEOPLE, NOT SOMETHING REALLY IMPORTANT LIKE BRAIN SURGERY! Just thought I'd throw that out! :rolleyes:

My biggest gripe is over no leaseable HD DVR. Heck, my local cable company has had one for months, and they don't charge $250 upfront for the honor and privilege of renting one.

E* has had buggy equipment for at least 5 years. I state this as a former sub. I have yet to have a hiccup on a D* receiver ... well minus my early, improperly hacked DirecTiVo units. :D

Zookster said:
My biggest gripe is over no leaseable HD DVR. Heck, my local cable company has had one for months, and they don't charge $250 upfront for the honor and privilege of renting one.
But it is not a TiVo and it is not better than TiVo. I am sure that this day WILL come, and when it does, I will evaluate.

from the mouth of an engineer

Ok folks...time to summarize some important information (hopefully without being accused without basis from the peanut gallery about being on the corporate payroll). I do think most people don't have problems with their equipment. When problems do come up (and by the laws of statistics, they will), hopefully, they get resolved quickly. This forum is an avenue for those who have experienced problems to find answers, to voice complaints, and to learn new stuff. I completely understand why the majority of posts is about things that are wrong. Show me a web site with the traffic volume this site has that is full of compliments and kudos. The expectation the consumer rightfully has is that the system will work correctly out of the box. This should be the objective of the engineers that design the system. Bugs are going to happen, problems will crop up and if the problems are identified and given a high priority, fixes are developed and implemented. This process takes time, and anybody who has written computer code knows that writing effective code is part science and part art.
I am in the group of people who have had very limited problems with any of my 3 active receivers and the other two receivers that have been retired the problems have been minimal. So those like me who scan through the postings to learn more, see what else is going on out there and may think that there are a majority of dissatisfied satellite customers, think a little longer. You will not see many posts (like mine) in which we say our problems are nearly non-existent, that is because our expectation that things will work correctly out of the box has been met.

I have had 4 D* Receivers since about 96 only one had problems (my first rca)and that was lightning related...but it came back to life. I have a E* 2700, had it since it came out (my first E* receiver) I had a 501 for about 4 years, the receiver died on it last summer (still had video some from 3 years ago) and I just got it replaced last week and the new one is working perfectly. I have had a 6000u since jan of 03 and a 921 since the Nov. price drop... 2 Receiver problems out 0f 8 is not too bad...

Wow!

Ok, so let me get this right. “Someone” has the audacity to get on a forum and “b*&ch” about other people “b*&ching”. That is more mind numbing than the lowest bottom feeding of all post I have seen on these forums. Cool your hooves.

You're kidding, right?

Do you really think a 25% failure rate is "not too bad"? I've had Two (2) 508's die out of three (3). A 921 that was in my experience (I qualified that) a piece of junk. A 510 and a 301 that were OK (though I didn't really end up using either one that much). That's four out of six (not including the replacements for the two 508's that died). Geez - how many people will continue to make excuses for absolutely crappy hardware and software design????

dfergie said:
I have had 4 D* Receivers since about 96 only one had problems (my first rca)and that was lightning related...but it came back to life. I have a E* 2700, had it since it came out (my first E* receiver) I had a 501 for about 4 years, the receiver died on it last summer (still had video some from 3 years ago) and I just got it replaced last week and the new one is working perfectly. I have had a 6000u since jan of 03 and a 921 since the Nov. price drop... 2 Receiver problems out 0f 8 is not too bad...

wmhjr said:
Do you really think a 25% failure rate is "not too bad"? I've had Two (2) 508's die out of three (3). A 921 that was in my experience (I qualified that) a piece of junk. A 510 and a 301 that were OK (though I didn't really end up using either one that much). That's four out of six (not including the replacements for the two 508's that died). Geez - how many people will continue to make excuses for absolutely crappy hardware and software design????
after being unplugged for 6 months I tried the rca and it worked so actually only the 501 is the complete failure and that could be because I took it frequently camping....On rough roads mostly 2 rut and 4wd... ( although it was in a seat and well padded)

I've written computer code - BS.

I run a technology team now that develops commercial software, hosts it, and supports it (including customer service). Pure crap.

Problems HAVE come up with Dish. No problem assuming they get resolved. However, they do NOT get resolved - quickly or otherwise. I have no beef with the 3xx or 5xx series (even though 2 out of 3 failed on me completely). However I have major problems with the 8xx and 921 series. As to fixing them, they've discontinued the product 13 months after releasing it and having never fixed it.

I will not rant about the lack of understanding that people exhibit when they compare the delivery of quality E* receivers and selling/supporting PCs. Suffice it to say that such a claim only serves to illustrate that the person making it has no experience in the field. There are NO - to repeat that categorically - NO variables that Dish does not reasonably control with respect to the ability to design, TEST, and support their product. For whatever reason, they are incapable or unwilling to do so.

To be clear, even cable device providers such as SA or MOTO have far more complex issues, as they need to allow individual cable companies the ability to modify software based on their own infrastructure. Dish has absolutely no variables whatsoever that they are not capable of designing around, testing adequately, and delivering results.

Bugs are expected. SEV1 bugs are frankly not permitted to go to the public.

BTW: This forum is ALSO a place where people can get unvarnished information BEFORE making an investment. I just wish I had stumbled across it prior to spending $549 on the 921. It would have saved me quite a bit of time and money. Unfortunately, I listened to the marketing hype. You are correct that people tend to emphasize the bad rather than the good, and that it really shows up on the boards. But, show me another "product" like Dishnet that completely controls their product with respect to the technology, and that has such a high degree of unresolved problems.

smroycro said:
Ok folks...time to summarize some important information (hopefully without being accused without basis from the peanut gallery about being on the corporate payroll). I do think most people don't have problems with their equipment. When problems do come up (and by the laws of statistics, they will), hopefully, they get resolved quickly. This forum is an avenue for those who have experienced problems to find answers, to voice complaints, and to learn new stuff. I completely understand why the majority of posts is about things that are wrong. Show me a web site with the traffic volume this site has that is full of compliments and kudos. The expectation the consumer rightfully has is that the system will work correctly out of the box. This should be the objective of the engineers that design the system. Bugs are going to happen, problems will crop up and if the problems are identified and given a high priority, fixes are developed and implemented. This process takes time, and anybody who has written computer code knows that writing effective code is part science and part art.
I am in the group of people who have had very limited problems with any of my 3 active receivers and the other two receivers that have been retired the problems have been minimal. So those like me who scan through the postings to learn more, see what else is going on out there and may think that there are a majority of dissatisfied satellite customers, think a little longer. You will not see many posts (like mine) in which we say our problems are nearly non-existent, that is because our expectation that things will work correctly out of the box has been met.

wmhjr - Your post was lucid, logical, and 100% correct. Why there are so many Dish apologists has always escaped me. I think that people want to feel that they made the correct decision. So, to criticize Dish is to criticize them for choosing Dish. Weird, twisted logic. But, it's the only reasoning that I can see for their rabid defense of, and emotional attachment to, what is basically a utility company.

There is hope with these people though. I have seen some who were rabid Dishies start to realize that Dish didn't love them back. Some have switched to DirecTV or Cable. And many, while still Dish subs, finally realize the serious problems that Dish suffers from as a company.

Dish appears to have zero corporate strategy, goals, values, mission, or philosophy other than increase stock value for the shareholders. That only works in the short term, and they are in for a rude awakening in the near future. It is so obvious, that even long time, die hard Dish loyalists are finally beginning to see it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)