Just tired of all the complaining.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

robsadler

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Charleston, WV
;) I have been a D* subscriber since 1996. I remember going to Radio Shack and buying a 18" round single LNB dish and one RCA receiver for $499.00. Then I had to wait somewhere between 30 to 50 days for a technician to come out and hook it up. Hmmmm.......those were the days. I have had miss charges, credits, several equipment exchanges, several upgrades. I waited patiently till my locals were available after the release date was pushed back several times. I have dealt with rude customer service and just a total lack of caring from D* end on several problems I have encountered over the years. But not once and I mean not once have I cancelled or have complained so much about the overall performance of thier service.

I have made it a point to not buy a HDTV until the technology and capablity is there for me to enjoy all that D* will offer. I know many of you are disappointed in the HD service and the DVRs. I have had my R15's for several months now and have not had one single problem. Yes I have had my status bar get stuck, I have missed a couple of recordings, and I have even had to reset mine once or twice. But as I can tell those are just minor problems that I can DEAL with. I have faith that D* will still be the very best in television entertainment that is out there.

There is alot of pressure from consumers, TV manufactures, and even the federal govenment about the big push for HDTV. It reminds me of the push in the 70's for better gas milage for automobiles. Do you remember the quality of cars that were produced. One word, Mustang. I beleive the pressure D*, E*, and even your local cable company is under is very high. All I can say is this, Patience, Patience, and after all that is gone, adquire more patience. I know alot of you are disappointed and frustrated that your needs not being fullfilled and the performance of your equipment. Just hang in there, I promise you, Everything WILL get better. The mustangs have came along way haven't they.:hatsoff:

Dont know what your local HD situation is like in WV but I feel its never been a better time to go HD. You can get HD Tivos (they are still out there), the HR20 is coming around (works great for me), and there are dozens of things to watch daily. I know the channel count is not there yet, but I cant even watch all that I record in HD. There's at least 1 sporting event in HD daily. If you are sports fan, its a must. Every single big sport event is in HD.

With locals, I have at least 2 dozen season passes in HD. And you know what, the quality is not perfect with some of the MPEG2 HD through D* but why would I not watch it. Its better then SD was at its prime over sat. So as much as I want to see things get better and improve, I love my setup and I love my HD choices right now. Once you go HD, you never go back. So I see D* and HD at half full and getting better. New sats should dump the water over the top.

;) I have been a D* subscriber since 1996. I remember going to Radio Shack and buying a 18" round single LNB dish and one RCA receiver for $499.00. Then I had to wait somewhere between 30 to 50 days for a technician to come out and hook it up. Hmmmm.......those were the days. I have had miss charges, credits, several equipment exchanges, several upgrades. I waited patiently till my locals were available after the release date was pushed back several times. I have dealt with rude customer service and just a total lack of caring from D* end on several problems I have encountered over the years. But not once and I mean not once have I cancelled or have complained so much about the overall performance of thier service.

I have made it a point to not buy a HDTV until the technology and capablity is there for me to enjoy all that D* will offer. I know many of you are disappointed in the HD service and the DVRs. I have had my R15's for several months now and have not had one single problem. Yes I have had my status bar get stuck, I have missed a couple of recordings, and I have even had to reset mine once or twice. But as I can tell those are just minor problems that I can DEAL with. I have faith that D* will still be the very best in television entertainment that is out there.

There is alot of pressure from consumers, TV manufactures, and even the federal govenment about the big push for HDTV. It reminds me of the push in the 70's for better gas milage for automobiles. Do you remember the quality of cars that were produced. One word, Mustang. I beleive the pressure D*, E*, and even your local cable company is under is very high. All I can say is this, Patience, Patience, and after all that is gone, adquire more patience. I know alot of you are disappointed and frustrated that your needs not being fullfilled and the performance of your equipment. Just hang in there, I promise you, Everything WILL get better. The mustangs have came along way haven't they.:hatsoff:

No disrespect intended but do you really think the mustang would have improved if nobody complained for improvements or upgrades.Look how many years the mustang was a lame shell of car.If it were not for the complaining and constant pushing for a better product you would still be watching a 19 in black & white set that you would need to walk to in order to change the channel.HD is not exactly new,services will not be offered untill they are demanded.And I for one refuse to pay an hd service fee for a measly handfull of upconverted lame sd channels.

America is behind Japan -- 25-plus years -- on technology in television. We've been beyond patient.

No disrespect intended but do you really think the mustang would have improved if nobody complained for improvements or upgrades.Look how many years the mustang was a lame shell of car.If it were not for the complaining and constant pushing for a better product you would still be watching a 19 in black & white set that you would need to walk to in order to change the channel.HD is not exactly new,services will not be offered untill they are demanded.And I for one refuse to pay an hd service fee for a measly handfull of upconverted lame sd channels.

Truthfully, many of our products evolved, not as a result of complaining, but instead a desire to be better. I've never seen so many people complain (sometimes with good reason, sometimes without) as I have with the HR20.

Truthfully, many of our products evolved, not as a result of complaining, but instead a desire to be better.

Did he just really say that? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

A complaint is the clearest indication in existance for a consumer to indicate a "desire [for a product] to be better." Unless you're suggesting that the consumers don't INDICATE their desire and simply attempt to reverse engineer then re-engineer the TV's and DVR satellite recievers THEMSELVES...

The HR 20 is finally almost ready for primetime, and I hear DirecTV MPEG4 encoders are working really well.

This would be a good time to jump in if you are thinking of getting HD from DirecTV.

America is behind Japan -- 25-plus years -- on technology in television. We've been beyond patient.
Actually, its more like 3 years (which may seem like 25 HDTV "dog years").
The HR 20 is finally almost ready for primetime, and I hear DirecTV MPEG4 encoders are working really well.

This would be a good time to jump in if you are thinking of getting HD from DirecTV.
Their latest HR20 DVR Release Candidate firmware update (got it last night) seems to be very solid and eliminates 98% of the remaining issues, and probably will be downloaded as the base national firmware update within a week or so. For those joining in the HD fun (especially with the HR20 DR) - I agree with you Scott - this is probably a good time to take the plunge.

I am all for the complaining.

As DBSTalk has said numerous times...the complaining is what the D* people hear and work on

The crappy HR's, crappy services at times, ext....should be complained about as much as possible.

I haven't had any problems yet but if I do, I will complain

I am all for the complaining.

As DBSTalk has said numerous times...the complaining is what the D* people hear and work on

The crappy HR's, crappy services at times, ext....should be complained about as much as possible.

I haven't had any problems yet but if I do, I will complain

I think you guys are missing the point.
YES by all means complain if you have a problem, you are right,D* does read the different forums and make improvements when they find common problems.
What I think people are getting at is the CONSTANT complaining OVER AND OVER on the same subject.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Well, if D* didn't have so many problems, I doubt the same things would be complained about.

With that said, I am very happy with my service, programming, and DVR.

Did he just really say that? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

A complaint is the clearest indication in existance for a consumer to indicate a "desire [for a product] to be better." Unless you're suggesting that the consumers don't INDICATE their desire and simply attempt to reverse engineer then re-engineer the TV's and DVR satellite recievers THEMSELVES...

Sure. We didn't get cars, refrigerators, stoves, and dish washers because somebody complained. They came from the desire to innovate and make something better.

Now, the latter part of your comment about consumers simply attempt to reverse engineer the TVs and DVRs themselves, shows me the crazy pills are working fine. Why would anybody think that I would say that?

Exaggerations to the point of being untrue.

What is? What I just said about the problems?

Reading this and other boards, not sure how someone can so "so many problems" is an exageration.

In fact, name a board with a D* forum that doesnt have a thread dedicated to people being tired of hearing others "complain"?

But in the meantime, we're paying for programming plus $5 for every receiver beyond one. If anyone wants an HD package that includes, say, Discovery HD and ESPN HD, that's an additional $10.

I'm on the verge of leaving DirecTV after an eight- to nine-year loyal following (which included refering to DirecTV as a new subscriber, in early-2005, my Colorado-based aunt). I don't want to really leave DirecTV (see "At Wit's End" thread), but I've put up with way too much picture interruptions, receiver rebootings, and irritation stemming from DirecTV's so-called technology that I end up questioning my own intelligence for toleration beyond what other folks would accept.

I may hang up until the satellites get launched and the newer HD channels, just recently announced, come in; but then again, maybe I won't. When my Single LNB was installed in March 1998, I never saw an installer ever again until I upgraded in February 2006 to accomodate an HDTV and four other SDs (before I had cable on other TVs, DirecTV on a SD television). In that first month of HD/upgrade service, I had an installer out to my house three more times by early-March 2006. A couple more calls, without paperwork, a new receiver in December 2006 to replace the defective H20 -- and this week, after a call to DirecTV, another installer will come out.

What will change?

That, most certainly, is what I'm asking myself. Well, a lot of folks are enthusiastic it'll get better. And part of me agrees. But, you know -- my life doesn't revolve around DirecTV and I do not want this continue any longer. Ongoing problems are what it's been -- and I have had more than enough of [DirecTV's] "ongoing problems."

What is? What I just said about the problems?

Reading this and other boards, not sure how someone can so "so many problems" is an exageration.

In fact, name a board with a D* forum that doesnt have a thread dedicated to people being tired of hearing others "complain"?

This board didn't Until NOW !

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)