GEOSATpro JUST TRIED NEW HD

T4Runner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 3, 2010
37.0N 119.5W California
Bought a $40 160GB Western USB 2.0 HD on EBAY, and plugged it into my MICROHD tonight. Immediately ready to go. I did nothing but plug it in. Recorded a couple shows and works fine. Fits my needs. Now I don't have to constantly delete the flash drive I was using.

Recommend this small HD (small to today's standards) to anyone wanting the convenience of recording during the week and watching on the weekend.

Model Number

Bought a $40 160GB Western USB 2.0 HD on EBAY, and plugged it into my MICROHD tonight. Immediately ready to go. I did nothing but plug it in. Recorded a couple shows and works fine. Fits my needs. Now I don't have to constantly delete the flash drive I was using.

Recommend this small HD (small to today's standards) to anyone wanting the convenience of recording during the week and watching on the weekend.

What is the model number?

Does it have external power?
I know folks who have tried portable drives and have done damage to the Micro.....you need external power for the drive

No external power. It runs on the USB only. Is damage associated with long term power needs of the external Hard Drive? It runs so smoothly, I would hate to see it crash. I did not check the power requirements, but it must be minimal on a small HD like this?

There is a white LED in the back that is on constantly, unless recording, as I notice when recording it blinks. Other than that it just keeps on ticking...

Scott blew the port on his Micro by doing that (not using an external powered drive).....maybe SatelliteAv can confirm

I've been running a Western digital 300G Mypassport with power from the USB port. If the MicroHD USB port and the hard drive are built to spec. It shouldn't be a problem.

The problem is that we don't KNOW the power consumption of the WD 160G drive, because it's not on their website, not even in the Legacy section.

I suppose the bare drive would have it written on it somewhere, but you don't know how much the controller adds.

Some portable USB hard drives current draw exceeds the USB protocol rating. These portable drives are typically provided with a cable that has a second USB pigtail for connection to a second USB port or an USB power supply. If the drive was provided with this 2nd USB pigtail, assume that the manufacturer recognizes that the device requires more current than a single USB port can provide. Always connect this pigtail to a second USB source.

If the current draw of the drive exceeds the USB current supplied by the microHD, the drive will either not spin up to speed, will not be recognized as an available drive, or be unable to support reliable recording and playback.

To date, we have received no confirmed reports or RMAs of the microHD with a failed USB port.

An update after using the $40 160GB HD this week....

The clock is accurate so the recording time is accurate. The little (I mean little..) WD 160GB hard drive is recording all the premier TV shows I want this week, and the MicroHD is telling the dish to move to do its part.

Life is good when electronic equipment works like its supposed to. And it is reasonably priced.

This is the best combination of size and cost For two units I could imagine.

i am using a wd300g on the usb. thats the only power it has. also have a 1t drive i want to try out there also. the tech said it only uses power when it writes or reads. can't confirm that but i think that is the way the hd drive is. charlie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts