Just Wondering!!!

If you are happy with what you have by all means don't upgrade. Hopper has lot of nice features but its also costs more. The DVR fee is $12 plus $7 per Joey.

Reactions: navychop
I posted this in another forum, but I will post it here:

The Hopper is the best DVR out there. Period. The following features make it worth going through program disputes (which most are temporary):
1. Built-in Sling
2. Wireless transfer to Kindle or iPad (and other devices) - I use this feature constantly. I love being able to have movies to watch while traveling. My wife will download a show to watch when we have to drive long distances. It is a great feature.
3. Auto-hop - I wish they would extend this to other channels, but not likely. We will wait until the next day to watch most shows just because of this feature.
4. PTAT - The fact that every show for all 4 major networks are recorded makes it almost like on demand. I don't watch as many shows as my wife, so this is something that she puts higher than me on the list. But the fact that I don't have to worry about conflicts to record any network shows is a huge advantage.
5. External Hard Drive - I know that this is available for past DVR's for Dish (not sure about DirecTV or cable), but what I like about Hopper is that I can have two hooked up at one time. Also, the fact that I have over 400 movies recorded on my EHD's will help me get through any dispute.
6. Whole home - Hopper is a TRUE whole home DVR. Unlike others that say whole home, but only support up to 4 TV's. I have 6 TV's hooked up to the hoppers and if I actually wanted to pay for it, I could have had 9. My youngest son (9) records cartoons on their Hopper upstairs, but can watch them on the downstairs Hopper. I loved how they are linked together. Related to this is the fact that I can pause something in one room and continuing watching in another room. (I know that other whole home DVR's do that too, but it is very easy with the hopper.)
7. Game Finder - This is absolutely awesome for college football and basketball.
8. Home Media - Can watch movies that are on my computer.
9. Conflict Handling - When there is a conflict, the hopper will bring up all of the recordings that conflict so that you can choose which one to change.
10. Social Media app - Can view twitter while watching a game.
(and added since last post) 11. Netflix on the Hopper.

Since it was brought up and I've been thinking about upgrading to the Hoppa:

3 TVs
2 Used Constantly on a daily basis
The other used regularly but not as much and rarely during primetime
With OTA and picky viewing habits PTAT is not something I have to have, but since I've never used it my thoughts could change once I tried it out.

What type of setup would yall suggest?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 TVs
With OTA and picky viewing habits PTAT is not something I have to have, but since I've never used it my thoughts could change once I tried it out.

2 HWS, 3 Joeys.

3 TVs

2 HWS and 1 Joey OR 1 HWS, 1 Super Joey and 1 Joey - First gives you separate DVR's for the two watched constanty and gives you 6 tuners. Second connects all 3 TV's together on same hopper and gives you 5 tuners. Second is cheaper.

I wouldn't suggest 1 HWS and 2 regular Joeys. That only gives you 3 tuners. It would save you $3, but you will soon discover the money is worth the extra tuners.

I misread it as 5 tvs. The post just after mine I agreed with. Typically, I would say go with the SJ before the second HWS, however, depending on your viewing habits, it may be worth it. I am one of those that would rather the 2 HWS myself. But I am not a normal situation.

2 HWS gives you more tuners, but doesn't give you the pure whole-home experience. You can't see EHD's from both and you can't pause from one hopper and resume on another. You can watch anything recorded on one hopper on the other hopper though, so you do still have a partial whole-home experience. Plus it is more expensive.

I guess we could ask an additional question. What are you wanting out of your setup exactly? Do you want to be able to adjust timers from any room in the house? Additional harddrive space? Safety in case one goes down?

I guess we could ask an additional question. What are you wanting out of your setup exactly? Do you want to be able to adjust timers from any room in the house? Additional harddrive space? Safety in case one goes down?
Timer flexibility is key so is sling.

HD space isn't too big of a deal as I delete DVR stuff as soon as I view it.

And if you ever do need more space, just buy an external hard drive. I would also go with 1 HWS, 1 Super Joey and 1 Regular Joey.

Reactions: ChadT41
I had two of the original hoppers with the usb ota tuner on both of them. I traded in my two hoppers this last spring for a hopper with sling and a super joey . I also bought an I-pad mini from Amazon for like $242.00 . Now I have the ability to transfer my shows from my hopper to the I-pad and watch shows while I am at work doing nothing. With three people in our household the present setup works well. So the hopper in the living room with an hdmi splitter so I can watch the same thing in the computer room directly behind the living room. I have the super joey in the master bedroom and a joey in my 14 year old son's room. I also have a second joey in my computer room so I can watch something different if my wife is watching something else in the living room. I just change my tv input. I find with the PTAT feature , takes care of most timer issues or conflicts . It is like having a 4 tuners in one anytime of the day or night . I have to set up duplicate timers for certain shows I like so I can have them ready for my mobile transfers to my I-pad. But all in all I love my Hopper setup and I really am getting my use out of my account. I only wish I could watch my DISH anywhere account anywhere ,but where I work I get the bare minimum wireless internet and it is blocked for video by the site.

I believe Dish Anywhere uses the home network while you are at home if you watch off of one of the tuners on your tablet/computer/phone. That would be an alternate way of not having to pay another Joey fee for those that may not use another room all that much or want something convenient. You could even stream it to a television if you connect it with an hdmi cable or perhaps stream it through a chromecast..

I believe Dish Anywhere uses the home network while you are at home if you watch off of one of the tuners on your tablet/computer/phone. That would be an alternate way of not having to pay another Joey fee for those that may not use another room all that much or want something convenient. You could even stream it to a television if you connect it with an hdmi cable or perhaps stream it through a chromecast..
or through Apple TV if you have an iPad or through Amazon Fire TV if you have a Kindle HDX.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts