Jynxbox Ultra HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

V_H

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
Looking for a FTA/OTA combo receiver I found a new candidate, the Jynxbox Ultra HD. Looks like a very interesting box but I have never heard of Jynxbox before. Have any one here got any experience with this receiver especially with the ATSC tuner?

Didn't look too bad on the initial specs but very pricey. The S2 Fta module is extra and looks like the OTA module was too. Without those you've got a DVB receiver that you could get used for pretty cheap elsewhere. That's my 2 cents worth anyway

I was just reading about this also, and it is a little un-clear, but like Blind said it appears you have to get the OTA and S2 card extra. By the time you do that you will have a big investment in a receiver, that may or may not work right.

One of the advertised tuners is listed as a turbo 8psk. This looks to be a eye patch crowd STB, so be aware of the operational differences for FTA useage...

It looks like the DVBS2 tuner is a different product. One might try the optional S2 tuner a see what signal types it will support. Can the S2 tuner receive MPEG2/4, DVBS/S2, QPSK/8PSK/16PSK/etc?? Does the ATSC tuner option support EPG? CC??

A lot of questions. Be interesting to learn what it can do!

Last edited:
Also appears that only one 'option' is able to be installed. ATSC or S2, not both, at the same time.

From what I could figure from the Ebay store, it comes with a QPSK module. He offers the ATSC and the DVBS2 modules $30 each. No specs on the tuner modules I could find. For all of it would be $235. A real "Pig in a poke"

Got one with an ATSC tuner for $219 shipped. Not bad at all. For some reason, receiver with ATSC tuner cost a lot more than one without.

Ordered it this morning and got tracking number already so it is a viable Christmas present for my father as long as when I install it for him I mumbled something about slow shipping. Maybe for good measure I'll blame the striking stevedores or China.

Or junx box. Guess Jynx is no worse a name than the "slime" tire gauge I got at WalMart.

slime-tire-pressure-gauge_things-keep-your-glove-box.jpg

One of the advertised tuners is listed as a turbo 8psk. This looks to be a eye patch crowd STB, so be aware of the operational differences for FTA useage...

It looks like the DVBS2 tuner is a different product. One might try the optional S2 tuner a see what signal types it will support. Can the S2 tuner receive MPEG2/4, DVBS/S2, QPSK/8PSK/16PSK/etc?? Does the ATSC tuner option support EPG? CC??

A lot of questions. Be interesting to learn what it can do!

The only thing I heard so far from other discussion forums is that there is NO EPG on ATSC channels. As you suspected, this STB is aimed at the satellite piracy market so as other receivers of this type, they will have their hands full just to keep theft of services operational.

From what I could figure from the Ebay store, it comes with a QPSK module. He offers the ATSC and the DVBS2 modules $30 each. No specs on the tuner modules I could find. For all of it would be $235. A real "Pig in a poke"

Please be aware that satellite piracy retailers are now referring to Turbo 8PSK modules as a "QPSK module" in order to try and protect themselves legally. So in this case, the unit actually comes with a Turbo 8PSK module ready to steal Dish Network and Bell TV programming and they are forcing people who want to legitimately use this unit to receive either DVB-S2 or ATSC signals to pay extra for the additional modules. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi V_H. Out of curiosity I googled the Jynxbox. Found a thread on another sat forum about this rcvr.
I found several threads in other forums one mentioned that the box run cool. That clinched it for me. I don't like receivers with those tiny 20mm fans but was afraid that it would over heat. The guy mentioned problem pvr functions but that is OK because we would never use that features.

I like the fact that it comes with an IR extension cable and can be wall mounted. Putting it behind the TV is going to make a nice clean installation.

The only thing I heard so far from other discussion forums is that there is NO EPG on ATSC channels.
That's not a problem for us because the local ethnic channels that we cared about have none or very basic EPG information. Each half hour block would have a "news", "music", "drama" etc. which may match what they are actually broadcasting. The satellite channels have no EPG at all. When I first read about people here recording shows I wondered how they are doing it. I thought they looked up the schedule online, set the recording by time and rename the file to something meaningfull afterward. Then I realized that some satellite channels actually have EPG data.

Please be aware that satellite piracy retailers are now referring to Turbo 8PSK modules as a "QPSK module" in order to try and protect themselves legally. So in this case, the unit actually comes with a Turbo 8PSK module ready to steal Dish Network and Bell TV programming and they are forcing people who want to legitimately use this unit to receive either DVB-S2 or ATSC signals to pay extra for the additional modules. :rolleyes:

Hopefully the Turbo 8PSK tuner is complete compatible with regular DVB-S with extra capability to decode the Turbo 8PSK signal. My Sonicviews 8000HD came with a 8PSK module and if I scan using the "external" I still get all the channels. It default to external and I have to remind myself to switch to internal because it get a slightly higher S & Q.

Yes I have heard around too. I have seen a lot Bins fixing stuff to try to do better the features. I wish to see how works to real FTA signals on KU/C Band.

Well all I can say is let us know how it works..It would be the most expensive Fta receiver that I ever purchased...Think I'll stick with my Micro Hd and my Tv set with it's OTA tuner.

Not a good day. Got my receiver today. Opened it up and installed the ATSC tuner. Since I have not run cable to the new location yet, I borrowed the connections of another receiver in the same room. Unplugged the EBox Stealth, a Coolsat 8100 clone IIRC, and plugged in the JynxBox. Only the settings for DTV shows up, nothing for satellite. Open the box up and swap the tuners to see if it is a problem with the slot. That did not fixed anything. Googled and try to find an updated firmware from the JynxBox web site but did not find any download link. Downloaded it from an unofficial site and this enabled the dual tuner.

Now that the settings for satellite shows up, I try to set it up but there is no satellites listed. Googled again and do a Factory Reset for the satellite list to shows up. After a couple of false start, I got the satellite and DTV channels scanned in. After I deleted all the unwanted channels, the box suddenly rebooted by itself. After it came back up, I changed the channel and it rebooted again. Had enough fun for the night I figure I'll try again tomorrow.

Unplugged everything, plugged the Ebox back and the box is dead. It was jinxed. Opened it up and saw that the power supply board got a bulging electrolytic capacitor. Hopefully replacing the capacitor will bring the box back to life. All in all, not a good night. Hopefully the new year will bring better luck.

I'd send that right back to where I got it for a full refund. I'm completely new to FTA and picked up a microHD, it's plug and play not plug and play around.

Junk box. Some sellers around us tryed to dump some on us for $75 usd with the full it will get "free" playboy hbo ect..

looked at the main page and its a pos rip of ruku and some ruku links still worked at the time. Now they have a better box in under 6 months?

And now a android box that started shipping in november but mid december they make a better android box and will be on sell soon?

Run away hard and fast.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)