Ka band on big dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

colbec

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
Eastern Ontario, Canada
There was a news item the other day (sorry I forget what channel) where someone was setting up a Ka band system on C-Band size dishes to deal with the increased flow of data from satellites related to weather etc.

Round here the Ka band for internet is famous for being spotty, disappearing when a cloud wafts by or on a foggy morning.

So the question arises, if you put a Ka lnb on a solid 14 foot dish would that make your internet comms more reliable, or do you still have to mount the dish in cloudless AZ or on top of a mountain?

It prob would if you could set it up properly. Down here, we're not supposed to mess with the transmitting stuff, only the receive-only systems. FCC regulates all that and requires certification of some type for installers who do
systems that transmit to the sats. (unless yours is a downlink only internet system) I'm sure the Canadian govt has a similar department to oversee that issue in your country too.
I worked with the installer who did my satellite internet, when I had it, to see what all he did, there's tests that have to be done to be sure the system isnt' putting out spurious signals that could interfere with other xmit/rec sites, etc. Worked well , for the dinky little dishes they use, until it rained. It actually worked better in light rain than the tv-dishes the pay-systems use though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)