Ka band?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

1beertap

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
OBX, North Carolina, USA
Is there going to be a receiver to be made for Ka band reception? Also, I know Ka band LNBs are very expensive in the tune of $2000-$3000 US dollars, will/are the prices going to come down? Lastly, I thought this band was used for LRIT type weather satellites such as GOES 13 (replaced GOES 12). Apparently, I'm wrong since I see LyngSat list some of the satellites as having Ka band transponders. Could someone clarify Ka bands use with FTA reception?

Isn't DirecTV using Ka band for some of their signals these days? If so, I'm willing to bet that their LNBs don't cost over $2000.

It would be interesting to see what types of signals are up on that band in the clear.

The receivers can be the same as the LNB down converts the frequencies to the same range.

Like the Ku-band the Ka-band has different segments, I believe the DirecTV LNB is only capable of the lower segment (or one segment) and they also use some kind of band stacking which would be annoying for FTA receivers.
I have read that there have been Ka-band feeds (on the higher segment) on Atlantic satellites.

This thread has more related information: DirectTV Ka LNBF specs?

Last edited:
Xplornet/wildblue transeiver lnbs work too for receive. You findthem cheap on xraigslist or kijiji. They req 30v though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts