Kansas City, MO, ATSC 3.0 TV stations now using QAM256 encryption

Route66Fan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 7, 2019
Missouri
Just noticed that the Kansas City, MO, ATSC 3.0 TV stations are now using QAM256 encryption. Can confirm that my HDHomerun 4K Connect did receive an update & can still pick them up.

Attachments

• Untitled4.png
    Untitled4.png
    668.8 KB · Views: 179
  • Untitled5.png
    Untitled5.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 171
Reactions: comfortably_numb
The signals of Kansas City's CBS, ABC, MNTV & CW affiliates are now being encrypted with DRM. The other ATSC 3.0 signals, in KC, are still in the clear.

Attachments

• 2023-05-15 23_19_49-HDHomeRun Config GUI.png
    2023-05-15 23_19_49-HDHomeRun Config GUI.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 128
The signals of Kansas City's CBS, ABC, MNTV & CW affiliates are now being encrypted with DRM. The other ATSC 3.0 signals, in KC, are still in the clear.
and the real reason broadcasters lobbied so hard for ATSC 3.0 now becomes clear, and it had nothing to do with providing a better service to the consumer. Shame on the FCC. :mad:

• Love
Reactions: FTA4PA
As of late here in northern cali they switched to Dolby vision on Kntv nbc affiliate. I have a nextgen tv so it receives it but it is very dim and cannot find a way to adjust to a brighter picture. Also i hear that nextgen is working with some of the stb companies to certify them to Nextgen.

ATSC 3.0 DRM currently works on TVs that have an ATSC 3.0 tuner. It is the set top ATSC 3.0 boxes that currently can not decode the ATSC 3.0 DRM broadcasts. Silicondust is working on their box to receive DRM broadcasts. Zapperbox may need to exchange their existing units. Tablo has delayed their launch of ATSC 3.0 boxes to allow DRM to work. It seems that broadcasters want to restrict internet sharing of their broadcasts. Plus they can place limits on recording their broadcasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now having a nextgen tv i can see why they are doing DRM. As 3.0 astc antennas were put up during the HDTV transition. So all it took was a flip of a switch to broadcast Nextgen Tv. Now as of March 27th Nextgen first aired here in S.F. Bay area. It was picked up as 1080p reception and just a few weeks ago they made 1 station Dolby Vision which is copyrighted and has to be on a certified labeled STB or TV. So that is why they are using DRM. SIlicone Dust has to pay Dolby Labs in order to use Dolby Vision terchnology. The Networks do not want to charge for free tv they are protecting new technology.

Reactions: dweber
The Networks do not want to charge for free tv they are protecting new technology.

I have a little something you might be interested in buying. It allows you to traverse bodies of water without a boat and without getting your feet wet.

Reactions: Mochuf