Keep blowing diseq switches

Status
Please reply by conversation.

schlever

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Regina, SK
For whatever reason I cannot keep a diseq switch for more than a few days before it goes bad. The latest one I just installed has all new coax, a new ivacom quad and a new micro hd. The only thing that hasn't changed is the motor. I even put it in a weather proof box this time! I hook it inline after the motor. It sees the linear just fine, but never the circular or second sidecar linear?

Any ideas?

Equipment (ie reciever) through the house wiring. Dish, coax, etc was ground to a separate rod, but come to think I haven't checked it since i had some landscaping done

Never ground to a separate ground rod. Only have one ground or bond the rods. Separate ground rods are dangerous and will cause more problems that having no ground.

Likely a grounding voltage potential as pointed out in previous posts.

always had a rod at the dish and tie other components to it.... ground block, DiSEqC etc . but never receivers.
what brand are these DiSEqC switches ?
good luck

I have a grounding block where the coax comes into the house.
Some people ground the dish and lnb also,to me that would set up a ground loop condition and should be avoided.
In the olden days receivers had a 3 prong power plug and the chassis was earth ground.
With 2 prong power cord receivers a grounding block is almost a must.

For whatever reason I cannot keep a diseq switch for more than a few days before it goes bad. The latest one I just installed has all new coax, a new ivacom quad and a new micro hd. The only thing that hasn't changed is the motor. I even put it in a weather proof box this time! I hook it inline after the motor. It sees the linear just fine, but never the circular or second sidecar linear?

Any ideas?

Are you hooking or disconnecting your coax cables with your receiver plugged in? If so, this may have caused it.

Another possibility is that your motor is sending "dirty" power from its LNBF port and burning out your DiSEqC switches. Try bypassing the motor for a few days to see if your switch still survives.

I've got at least 6 diseqc switches that have port 1 bad. No reason, just they don't last. Some switches lasted up to 2-3 months, others only weeks or days.

Have been running with one using ports 2 thru 4 with 22khz switches after the diseqc now for more than a year. Haven't had problems with 'blowing' any other ports.
Q I have is why only port 1 going bad??? No motors, just LNBF's, G-box.

If you are running the motor thru the switch that may do it. May sure that the switch can pass 500ma. I use a heavy duty Chieta 4021 which easily handles my Stab 90HH motor. The cheap 2 dollar switches will fail!

Port #1 is the default port for when no switch is defined. Port #1 is typically the port to fail for all of the reasons noted in other posts.

Move the ground block away from the dish and install at the point of entry to your home and connect the ground wire to the structure's ground. The switch failures are likely to decrease or cease...

The only one that I had crap out on me, it was port 3 that went. Not sure why, but the one I replaced it with has been fine for about 4 years now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts