Keep favorite channels up all the time

jak834

Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
Madison, WI
New to the forum....Just switched from Directv to Charter because of huge price drop. Trying to find my way on Charter. I've marked about 80 channels as my favorites but do I have to load my favorites whenever I turn on system...no way to have my favorites come up by default?

New to the forum....Just switched from Directv to Charter because of huge price drop. Trying to find my way on Charter. I've marked about 80 channels as my favorites but do I have to load my favorites whenever I turn on system...no way to have my favorites come up by default?
I see a comment that you used to be able to do this several years ago under menu-settings. No one knows if this is still possible somehow with the current system?

I had the Cisco/SA box for a short while and never figured it out either.

Due to many deficiencies in Charter's box, I ended up going with Tivo and their Roamio.

I had the Cisco/SA box for a short while and never figured it out either.

Due to many deficiencies in Charter's box, I ended up going with Tivo and their Roamio.
So I have read a bit about the World Box. Is that actually going to happen anytime soon and will it be an update that will be comparable to the Tivos?

Don't know a lot about the World Box but Charter tend to move either slow or slower so I don't expect the world box anytime soon in my area (CT).

Pretty sure if you have one of the ARRIS or Pace boxes with iGuide SW (blue) you cannot have it default to favorites like with DirecTV and DISH. You have to press FAV every time you open up the on screen guide..... Charter's set tops are way way behind the competition in every. Your probably best to try to get a TiVo Roamio as you may be waiting years for the Worldbox to ever become available.

Pretty sure if you have one of the ARRIS or Pace boxes with iGuide SW (blue) you cannot have it default to favorites like with DirecTV and DISH. You have to press FAV every time you open up the on screen guide..... Charter's set tops are way way behind the competition in every. Your probably best to try to get a TiVo Roamio as you may be waiting years for the Worldbox to ever become available.
Thanks a lot. I kind of got that feeling and you put it very clearly. So to get TiVo you need their box and pay them and then you need the card from Charter for a couple of dollars a month? Anything else needed to get going? Does it pay to get a used TiVo?

Thanks a lot. I kind of got that feeling and you put it very clearly. So to get TiVo you need their box and pay them and then you need the card from Charter for a couple of dollars a month? Anything else needed to get going? Does it pay to get a used TiVo?
That's correct, Charter charges $2 mo. for the CableCARD that goes into the TiVo. You probably will need a tuning adapter connected as well for any channels that are transmitted via switched digital video (SDV), Charter provides these for no monthly charge by request. Both the CableCARD and Tuning adapters can typically be picked up at your local office. The hardest part is usually the initial pairing and authorization of both, but after that they usually are rock solid -- sometimes it "might" take several calls to find a CSR that is familiar with CableCARD's. 1-888-487-7959 is supposed to be the direct number that gets you to the "special" department that handles CableCARDs.

Yes, in most cases it's always better (Cost $$$ wise, anyway) to get a used or refurbished TiVo with Lifetime service if you can, otherwise there is a $14.99 mo. charge for the TiVo service. They just released a new model (TiVo Bolt) which will include the first year of service then it's $150 per year or $14.99 mo. You can also get TiVo Mini's for additional rooms and they are $150 each (or less used on eBay etc.) but no ongoing monthly charges on Mini's, they connect to the main TiVo over the existing coaxial cable via networking technology known as MoCA and can access any live or recorded show on the main TiVo as well as access all the streaming services and apps that the main TiVo has. The Mini's do not need a CableCard either as they borrow/use tuners when needed from the main TiVo box.

Unfortunately, the great offer (discussed here) for a TiVo Roamio refurb with Lifetime service included for $300 (or brand new for $100 more) just ended days ago... :( The offer had been running though since early August. However, I would definitely recommend checking TiVo's outlet section and eBay.

I hope this helps! :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)