Keeping receiver on 24/7/365

sam_gordon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Lexington, ky
I've got a 211k that I'm keeping on ALL the time. Even with the "power save" DISABLED, the receiver turns itself off. It SEEMS to do it after downloading new software. Is there any way to prevent that (or have it automatically come back on if the upgrade requires a reboot)?

No, the receiver is set to receive a daily download. It updates the software and the program guide. Older models didn't have this and subscribers were infuriated by not having video when the receiver was forced to download the info while trying to actually watch something. Putting the receiver in standby mode also prolongs the life of the receiver, it's better to not leave it turned on.

I have read in another thread that some receivers has a bug in the latest software that prevents it from turning off and some complain that it does something to their recordings at the time it shuts off.

Turning "off" the receiver has little or nothing to do with receiver life.

These receivers really do no turn off, DVR's stiill have HDD spinning and can record when turned "off". That is really the only moving part in the soup, the electronics will go until they fail, on or off (which is a very long time).

Many have tested these receivers and find they use about the same amount of current whether "on" or "off", since "off" does not really mean off.

If you have a timer that overlaps the scheduled update time it is supposed to defer and update after the timer finishes.

It does help to turn the receivers to update the software and to build the guide everyday. Don't turn it off and you will have no up to date guide and problems will multiply ,especially on dvrs.

After it's on too long and you hit the guide, it will try to download it. While doing this, you will not be able to view any programing. I am trying to understand why you want it on for such a long period of time especially since it is not a dvr.

After it's on too long and you hit the guide, it will try to download it. While doing this, you will not be able to view any programing. I am trying to understand why you want it on for such a long period of time especially since it is not a dvr.
Not making sense to me either.

Newer receivers will update themselves overnight then go into standby, oldies like 301 only update when in standby, but I never turn mine off, except every 2-3 months just to download any updates.

I switch from directv and I thought that having my 722K "turn off" itself at night would bother me but it's not a big deal at all - just extra select button press.

I wish the fan would shut down when the 722 sits idle. It is noisy enough to be annoying when the room is quiet.

I am trying to understand why you want it on for such a long period of time especially since it is not a dvr.
It's to monitor a SINGLE channel. That's why the guide doesn't matter. Never changing channels. It confirms that the Dish signal for this channel is working. That's it.

Think you may be out of luck then, no way to disable the nightly download. You can pick the time for the download, then use auto tune to turn the receiver back on. Which channel are you monitoring? Is it an HD channel? Is it an OTA channel?

I think if you have a timer scheduled during the nightly download it won't run, you could try make a 24 hour repeating event or try scheduling the event for a couple hours with the scheduled update time in the middle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)