Kenny Rogers --- Cheater? YES/NO your opinion...

People are getting bent out of shape over nothing. There are literally 100+ baseballs used in an average game. I doubt even the most clever cheater could hope to doctor more than a couple dozen balls. From the useless Internet trivia archives:

"Ten to twelve dozen balls are delivered to the umpires by the home team prior to each game. Before the game, the sheen is rubbed off the balls with a special mud MLB purchases. These balls are to be used for the game. It's not unusual for 100+ of these balls to be used in the game. On a velvety cool Friday evening at PNC Park, the Pirates and Brewers used 104 balls, which is about 15 fewer than in a typical home game, according to Pirates equipment manager Roger Wilson."

Ok, it looks like the MLB is cheating by rubbing off the sheen with a special mud.:)

"Before the game, the sheen is rubbed off the balls with a special mud MLB purchases."

I remember watching a documentary somewhere (Natl. Geog. maybe) where they showed how it's done. The mud is a special mud that's found only in one geographical area.

The thing is that what Rogers had in his hand wasn't mud or dirt.

okay let me ask this question to all the I'm on kenny's side, Why did his story change from I didnt even know it was there, to oh well its the mud that I use to rub on the balls every game? also why is his story the only one that has NO ONE approaching him about the "mud" on his hand...also when was the last time you saw flat shiny mud?

Here is the rule and I have a question for everyone supporting Rogers:

"Rule 8.02 of the good book (baseball's official rules) forbids the pitcher to "Have on his person, or in his possession, any foreign substance. For such infraction of this section (b) the penalty shall be immediate ejection from the game."

Did he have a foreign substance in his hand? Yes or No answer.

I would also add that the second baseman has to touch the base when making the pivot to throw to first on a double play. The rule is clear. The actual interpretation as seen in MLB is more like "in the general vicinity of second base". So the issue of immediate ejection is problematic.

But back to the point. I think that Rogers just took a page out of old Gaylord Perry's book and is messing with the minds of the Cardinals batters. He wants them wondering what is on his hand, what kind of nefarous pitches are being thrown rather than stepping to the plate with the clear-minded confidence necessary to hit good big-league pitching.

Here is the rule and I have a question for everyone supporting Rogers:

"Rule 8.02 of the good book (baseball's official rules) forbids the pitcher to "Have on his person, or in his possession, any foreign substance. For such infraction of this section (b) the penalty shall be immediate ejection from the game."

Did he have a foreign substance in his hand? Yes or No answer.

No one, at least me, is not saying it wasn't illegal... I am saying AGAIN, IF La Russa had asked the umps to check Rogers, they would have and thrown him out, but the opposing manager has to ask, the umps cannot do it without beeing asked ... It's entirely possible that St. Louis did not know anything about the stuff on Rogers hand until FOX your hometown announcers team, brought it up, YES they saw it in previous games but they were games done by FOX.
It was not obvious till the cameras zoomed in on it.

La Rusa is a joke. He worried about swapping spit with Jim Leyland instead of protecting his team.

He barks about how he hates anyone messing up fair competition and how he wouldnt support one of those circus like inspections of the pitcher and yet he ALLOWED Rogers to pitch with that gunk on his hand.

(btw what exactly was he talking to the umpires about on the first base line if it wasnt about Rogers)

This is a great big MLB cover up. LaRussa and Leyland should be ashamed.

If Im Cardinals ownership Im ticked off that my manager didnt have the stones to have Rogers checked.

La Rusa is a joke. He worried about swapping spit with Jim Leyland instead of protecting his team.

He barks about how he hates anyone messing up fair competition and how he wouldnt support one of those circus like inspections of the pitcher and yet he ALLOWED Rogers to pitch with that gunk on his hand.

(btw what exactly was he talking to the umpires about on the first base line if it wasnt about Rogers)

This is a great big MLB cover up. LaRussa and Leyland should be ashamed.

If Im Cardinals ownership Im ticked off that my manager didnt have the stones to have Rogers checked.

Why should Leyland be ashamed ?

Guys...by the rule...I think he DID cheat. But he washed the thing off by the 2nd inning and still made the Cards look foolish for another 6 innings. They had a chance to inspect him, they didn't and when he pitches in game 6...the Cards will be seeing ALL kinds of ghosts. Here his a guy that can barely throw through a wet paper towel and has a team as potent as St. Louis wondering if he is doctoring the ball.

Guys...by the rule...I think he DID cheat. But he washed the thing off by the 2nd inning and still made the Cards look foolish for another 6 innings. They had a chance to inspect him, they didn't and when he pitches in game 6...the Cards will be seeing ALL kinds of ghosts. Here his a guy that can barely throw through a wet paper towel and has a team as potent as St. Louis wondering if he is doctoring the ball.

So, ya think he's in thier heads ???

I think it would be funny if he goes to the mound in game 6 with a nail file and emory board or maybe a bottle of Vasaline !!!

So, ya think he's in thier heads ???

I think it would be funny if he goes to the mound in game 6 with a nail file and emory board or maybe a bottle of Vasaline !!!

Damn...LOL...that would be a huge bulge in his pockets and we ain't talkin' about a cup....:D

"hey Kenny...you hiding something or are you just excited about being in the World Series?" :D

Gaylord Perry used to go shake hands with the opposing team with vaseline smeared on his hands, on the day before his start. One of his teamates asked him if he was nuts, and his reply was that he wanted to get into their heads a day early. Great distraction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)