KII Pro DVB-S2 box?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
What would be the advantage of the S912 over the S905 for media playback or DVB-S2? I went with KII Pro as there is currently 3rd party option for Android firmware , (somewhat bleeding) LibreELEC support and the KII pro is only ~70 dollars.

Last edited:
What would be the advantage of the S912 over the S905 for media playback or DVB-S2? I went with KII Pro as there is currently 3rd party option for Android firmware , (somewhat bleeding) LibreELEC support and the KII pro is only ~70 dollars.

The S912 is an 8 core compared to the 4 core S905. It also supports the V8/V9 codecs. It also comes with the new Kodi 17 and latest Android. To be honest, i don't use the android portion, i have it boot directly into KODI. I have yet to find a Android/DVBs2 that i like.

s912-and-905x-specification-difference.jpg

I use both the S905 and S912 as KODI boxes for my networked movies. They play the HEVC h.265 codecs perfectly.

Has anyone ever used an S905 box directly with a USB DVB-S2 tuner? I know you can put Linux on them, but information on other hardware support seems to be pretty sparse.

TVHeadend is relatively easy to use once you're past the initial learning curve, but it's getting started that is difficult. It doesn't help that most of the instructional pages and videos are for either older versions, which can be quite different from the current version on some screens, or are for picking up FTA in some place in the eastern hemisphere, which is different enough from the FTA that we know and love that it can get really confusing.

The biggest part of the hurdle is getting TVHeadend to find and recognize your tuners; once you have done that you are halfway there. Then basically you need to create one network for each unique LNB output, by which I mean if you have a dual-output LNB the two outputs count as one "unique" output since they both see exactly the same channels. Then you have to assign a network to each tuner or DiSEqC switch position. And so on - it's basically trying to make all the parts fit together so that the tuner knows which dish/LNB to use for any given signal. In my experience, you have to create every mux manually if you want them to work, though maybe that's changed in the latest version. Also keep in mind that TVHeadend won't even offer some options until you have set previous options that suggest you might need them. And if you make a change and it doesn't look like it "took", either you forgot to click the Save button or link, or in a few cases you may need to refresh the page in your browser.

Try searching on something like "TVHeadend Libreelec DVB-S2 North America" without the quotes, or some similar variation, and maybe you will find something useful. The trick is to find instructions that have all those things in common - they are for TVHeadend running in Libreelec, as used to receive DVB-S2 in North America. You can try substituting Openelec for Libreelec, or DVB-S for DVB-S2, etc. but hopefully you'll find something specific to this part of the world.

KII Pro arrived. Hope to have time this weekend to setup and see what a 4k feed looks like.

Reactions: iBoston
I couldn't resist the temptation and plugged it in although not yet connected to dish. Looks like most Android S905 boxes with app for S2. I installed latest version of LibreELEC for KII with support for internal tuner on SD card and KII boots up fine. I installed TVheadend and PVR client add-ons so I'm ready.... for hours of wasted time ;)

Reactions: catamount
Installed the version of LibreELEC for the KII but and required add-ons for DVB-S2 but using Kodi for FTA satellite receiver is far from simple. There is a lot to configure and I'm not anywhere near to being able to try it out. For North American FTA, using Kodi wouldn't be my first choice no matter the hardware platform. I may switch gears and try out the 3rd party Android firmware.

Reactions: Shicks4
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts