kinda cool new feature on 722k

the mack

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
HOCKEYTOWN
not sure if it is a new feature with the 722k's new L751 firnware or not as it is the first time I saw it last night, but a storm was coming through and I lost 129 due to rain fade,and the receiver said "HD signal lost, switching to SD duplicate channel" and automajically switched to the SD duplicate.....pretty cool,although the SD duplicate lost signal a minute later, but cool none the less.......

glad someone else noticed. now i can talk about it. works real good if you have a setup like mine. one dish pointing EA and another at 61.5 as the storm moves across the sky, i switch from HD to SD and back to HD. Never lose the actual program.
Love it!

I probably already know this answer (NO!)

Is it smart enough to use this feature while recording or buffering, or do you end up with it throwing the buffer away multiple times as with an intentional channel change?

If you were recording, it should be possible to continue recording. The question is, will it merge the (2) recordings into (1) ? :D I imagine you'd end up with a 14-minute HD version and a 50-minute SD version. Better than nothing....

If you're not watching live, it's just not technically practical.

...but a storm was coming through and I lost 129 due to rain fade,and the receiver said "HD signal lost, switching to SD duplicate channel" and automajically switched to the SD duplicate.....
Will it later pop up a message saying "HD signal has been re-established. Would you like to switch back ?". :)

Well, my useless opinion, the software "ought" to be smart enough to handle it.

Instead of throwing the buffer away with a channel change, it should just be a one-hour (or two-hour, even better!) continuous buffer per tuner that keeps on going. It takes some amount of effort to reset and flush the buffers and start it over from the beginning of the file; just continuing to write to the same place in the buffer file "ought" to be easier.

If that were done, you would have the following new features they could brag about:
- able to rewind prior to any channel changes on the current tuner up to an hour (or two) back; i.e. "what was that interesting thing I saw 30 minutes ago before I changed the channel? oh yeah, there it is."
- A recorded event on a channel that experienced the problem discussed in this thread, where the HD channel faded and the receiver automagically switched to the SD channel, would still be a single event in the recordings list.
- If somebody accidentally changed the channel, you don't have to panic realizing you just lost the buffer. You just miss whatever happened while it was on the wrong channel and can still rewind if you want to.

Dang, looks like the 722K one-upped Hopper! I wonder if the next Hopper update (supposed to be a couple of weeks) will include this...

Couldn't it be possible to switch to another sat that also has the same feed if you had a set up as such. I know on my set up some channels are on more than 1 sat in receive. I switched from the 72.7 feed to 119. I think this could be done

No, the user can't (easily) switch satellite feeds. The recommended method around here is to cover the LNB you don't want to use with something like aluminum foil :D

Couldn't it be possible to switch to another sat that also has the same feed if you had a set up as such. I know on my set up some channels are on more than 1 sat in receive. I switched from the 72.7 feed to 119. I think this could be done

What method did you use to switch?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)