Kmart Not Exclusively Supporting HD-DVD Format

chicagofilms

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Statement from Jonathan Magasanik, Vice President and General Merchandise Manager, Home Electronics, Sears Holdings

HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill., Nov. 2 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- There have been numerous statements in the media today, attributed to Toshiba, indicating exclusive support for the HD-DVD format in Kmart stores. These statements are false. Kmart intends to support both the HD-DVD and Blu-ray platforms, and has no plans to support either platform exclusively.

About Kmart

Kmart, a wholly owned subsidiary of Sears Holdings Corporation (Nasdaq: SHLD), is a mass merchandising company that offers customers quality products through a portfolio of exclusive brands that include Jaclyn Smith, Joe Boxer, Martha Stewart Everyday and Route 66. For more information visit the company's website at Consumer Electronics | Clothing from Levi Strauss Signature & Jaclyn Smith | Home Decor Ideas from Martha Stewart Everyday | Kmart.com or the Sears Holdings Corporation website at http://www.searsholdings.com."

True in a way. They will continue to sell the PS3. However, they will not be carrying standalone players.

"As for the rest, here we go: "Konbei" writes that I'm mistaken that Kmart will exclusively sell HD DVDs, saying they "came out today and said they are not exclusive." I spoke with the company this morning for clarification: The company has decided to push HD DVD players this holiday shopping season, but will continue to sell Sony's SONY CORPSNE 49.54 0.44 +0.9% NYSE Quote | Chart | News | Profile | Add to Watchlist [SNE 49.54 0.44 (+0.9%) ] PS3 with a Blu-ray player inside. As far as offering a standalone Blu-ray player on Kmart store shelves? Nope. At least not yet. If/when prices for Blu-ray come down Kmart may offer a standalone unit. But Kmart, the company tells me, is looking for value for its customers and right now, that means HD DVD."

Blu-ray Vs. HD DVD Battle Turns Into Your Email "War" - Tech Check with Jim Goldman - MSNBC.com Fourth paragraph

S~

The RAIN MAN said it best "K-MART SUCKS".When i think of home electronics the first thing that comes to mind is K-MART:rolleyes:I guess no blue light special on HD DVD players

Look for it on BF. I expect them to do the same as Sears. A3 < $169. Of course BB, CC, Frys, WM will probably do $99.00.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)