KNDX Fox - Bismarck, Minot DMA is without FOX

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dhageremtp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
North Dakota
RIGHT BEFORE FOOTBALL SEASON TOO!!!! :mad:

DISH Network is attempting contract negotiations with Prime Cities, the owner of your local FOX station. The broadcasting company is demanding DISH Network pay an outrageous rate increase of more than 500% to continue carrying the station. DISH Network has made every attempt to come to a fair deal and even offered to pay the same rate as its competitor. However, Prime Cities has refused all offers and, as a result, is blocking your channel from you.
This is compounded by Prime Cities recently informing DISH Network that it is unwilling to do business with DISH Network because a "cable company" is willing to pay a premium for KNDX FOX-26 not to renew with DISH Network. An exclusive deal would be a violation of the Federal Communication Commission's requirement to negotiate in good faith.
It's disturbing that Prime Cities' President, Mr. Tupper, has blocked popular FOX programming for customers in Bismarck while he watches the same programming from Hilton Head in South Carolina, unaffected by these negotiations.
We will continue to attempt negotiations with Prime Cities and are hopeful we will be able to reach a fair deal soon.

Contact FOX: Prime Cities President, John Tupper - JTupper@Kepper-Tupper.com
KNDX General Manager, Gary O'Halloran - garyo@fox26.tv, 701-355-0026

this is the standard press release from dish regarding locals
until they give some actual numbers you have no clue what that 500% is
is it 1 penny to 5 pennies? 10 cents to 50 cents? who knows

dish does not like locals.
they dont mind dropping channels

oh btw, directv has minot locals in hd

this is the standard press release from dish regarding locals
until they give some actual numbers you have no clue what that 500% is
is it 1 penny to 5 pennies? 10 cents to 50 cents? who knows

dish does not like locals.
they dont mind dropping channels

pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaase..Dish has more locals than directv

pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaase..Dish has more locals than directv

any info to prove it?
dish says theyhave locals sometimes and dont
example: my dma
dish claims locals. they bring one out of market network that the dma does not have.
they do not have any other channels. just that one
is that local coverage? its over 150 miles away.

Not True......Directv has the Bismarck Locals not the Minot Locals. Plus Directv doesnt have any local fox for western ND.......
Dish Carries:
KBME - PBS 3
KBMY - ABC 17
KFYR - NBC 5
KXMB - CBS 12

Minot Locals:
6 - KSRE - PBS satellite of KFME ch. 13 Fargo
10 - KMOT - NBC semi-satellite of KFYR-TV ch. 5 Bismarck
13 - KXMC-TV - CBS
14 - KMCY - ABC satellite of KBMY ch. 17 Bismarck
24 - KXND - Fox satellite of KNDX ch. 26 Bismarck

Bismarck Locals:

3 - KBME-TV - PBS satellite of KFME ch. 13 Fargo
5 - KFYR-TV - NBC
12 - KXMB-TV - CBS semi-satellite of KXMC-TV ch. 13 Minot
17 - KBMY - ABC
26 - KNDX - Fox

DirecTV has not ever carried the Bismarck FOX affiliate. The problem is Prime Cities and its relationship with FOX. FOX wants a cut from what local affiliates take in. Some groups have signed onto that and some haven't. The FOX affiliate in Boise recently switched affiliates because the network is getting tough on affiliates that aren't playing ball.

Its a real pain in the ass. My grandmother back home in MT has D* and they give here the Minot/Bismark locals except no Fox. She was actually looking at switching to E* for this reason. Now I guess it is a moot point.

Here is the email sent from KNDX:

Dear DISH Customer,

The Dish Network has provided some misinformation. We have not broken any
laws and DISH knows it. We are in good faith negotiations with DISH today as
you read this.

When the Big Elephants in Business start bumping, it's the little guys like
us that get trampled in the grass.

The Billionaire owners at Fox have imposed a fee on the satellite companies
through us. The Billionaire owners at DISH know this, and they are trying
to blame us by mischaracterizing the fees we have to pass through that go
directly to Hollywood. The local NBC, CBS and ABC stations will also have
to pay these fees to their networks and they will have the same trouble we
are having when their current agreements expire.

DISH asked us to take a 90% reduction in the net fees. We were being asked
to pay Hollywood to subsidize DISH's $20 billion balance sheet. After the
satellite industry obtained the rights by government fiat to program local
stations' signals, the number of customers they attracted grew from six
million to thirty million. They paid less than a fraction of a penny per
day for our signals. The Networks noticed this and woke-up to the reality
of how they were giving away substantial value. The new demands from the
Networks are less than 10% of what DISH has to pay for ESPN and it's still a
bargain for DISH. Nevertheless, it's a free country and DISH can yell and
spin the facts all they want.

There isn't a lot we can do about. We are just too small. Visit our
website, Fox 26 Bismarck, ND > Home for more information and updates.

Very truly yours,

Gary O'Halloran
General Manager/Owner

It is still my opinion that the satellite companies should not have to pay the locals a single penny to rebroadcast them, as they are helping the locals get viewers who can not pick up their signal otherwise. Satellite companies are helping the local channels reach their viewers at no charge and actually foot all the bill to rebroadcast everything.

By more people being able to watch it means higher ratings and higher ratings = higher ad revenue for the stations.

I dont get why the stations fight the satellite companies so hard, they should be working with them... not against them.

It is still my opinion that the satellite companies should not have to pay the locals a single penny to rebroadcast them, as they are helping the locals get viewers who can not pick up their signal otherwise. Satellite companies are helping the local channels reach their viewers at no charge and actually foot all the bill to rebroadcast everything.

By more people being able to watch it means higher ratings and higher ratings = higher ad revenue for the stations.

I dont get why the stations fight the satellite companies so hard, they should be working with them... not against them.

iirc the locals can demand to be carried, altough it may be sd only at the sat companies discretion.

as i agree with you in theory, it really works both ways
if the sat company carries the locals they may get more subscribers because of it
using my dma as an example, d* carries, e* does not. people are more likely to go with d*
the stations can use this with e* as a negotiation tool to be carried

DIRECTV does NOT carry either of the two Fox affiliates (KXND and KNDX) in the Bismarck-Minot-Dickinson-Williston DMA.

DIRECTV offers the Bismarck stations representing ABC, CBS and NBC in MPEG4 HD (only) and the PBS channel in MPEG4 SD. CW is imported in SD from Washington DC.

DIRECTV Local Channels and RSNs

This example does not support the mdram's claim.

On the other hand, this clearly doesn't excuse DISH from carrying LIL in the DMA.

i thought i said i could be wrong, an now it shows i most likely am
but i still cannot verify on directvs website

but i still say d* is more local friendly then e*

It is still my opinion that the satellite companies should not have to pay the locals a single penny to rebroadcast them, as they are helping the locals get viewers who can not pick up their signal otherwise.
If Mr. O'Halloran is to be believed, the money is going to Fox as opposed to the affiliate. The affiliate benefits mightily from higher viewership so I'm sure they're not losing sleep over it.

i thought i said i could be wrong, an now it shows i most likely am but i still cannot verify on directvs website
You offered your claim VERY matter-of-factly and it was hogwash. That DIRECTV's website isn't working for you doesn't change the facts.
but i still say d* is more local friendly then e*
It is a matter of perspective. Where DIRECTV carries locals, they often carry more stations than DISH Network does. OTOH, DISH Network offers channels many more DMAs than DIRECTV does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts