KTLA in LA Finally in HD

southcoastHD

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
California
KTLA the Los Angeles CW is finally aboard in HD. Tuned in today at 4pm PDT and there it was on 6310. Just in time for the Lakers v Clippers game tonite. Now all we need is KCAL for the balance of the local NBA in HD

So even though I pay for and receive KTLA I can't have it in HD?

You're paying for an out-of-market Superstation channel that is only available to you as part of SHIVA, then, SHIVRA. I don't think it would be legal for Dish to provide to you the HD feed of a superstation, as the law stands now. You are getting what Dish promised you: an SD Superstaion channel from L.A. While providing the HD feed would take up valuable HD bandwidth on an ConUS transponder, if Dish could offer it within the law and at the right price for them, they would offer it. Contact Dish and let them know how you feel about it.

I asked about this a while back, but does that mean in February the Superstations will no longer exist?

DishSubLA

KTLA5HD is already taking up conus space. DISH just isn't letting the Super subscribers receive them -- KTLA, KWGN (conus), and WPIX (spotbeam) -- in HD. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're paying for an out-of-market Superstation channel that is only available to you as part of SHIVA, then, SHIVRA. I don't think it would be legal for Dish to provide to you the HD feed of a superstation, as the law stands now. You are getting what Dish promised you: an SD Superstaion channel from L.A. While providing the HD feed would take up valuable HD bandwidth on an ConUS transponder, if Dish could offer it within the law and at the right price for them, they would offer it. Contact Dish and let them know how you feel about it.

Aren't these channels already up and on the bird taking up space. All I would be doing would be tapping into the existing feed, they don't need to take up more bandwidth to give me access.

Yes! True, KCAL 9 would be great, and KCET 28, at least, to represent the 4 PBS stations here.
How are the OTA signals for these stations at your house? Where I live, the KTLA digital signal is in the low sixties on my 622's signal strength meter. It is watchable most of the time, but not always. Its strength may increase after the demise of analog next February.

KCAL is in the high sixties at my house and watchable about 95% of the time. KCET is around 100 so of course is always strong and clear.

I live very close to the mountains, so I get shadowing for most stations from foreground ridges. People at the far end of my block get very high signal strength from almost every LA station.

I've been mulling over subscribing to the package, but a few things are standing in the way. One big one is HD (I now have KWGN in HD locally) but wonder if the next HD move is the Superstations package. Also are the Dodgers still on KTLA?

Aren't these channels already up and on the bird taking up space. All I would be doing would be tapping into the existing feed, they don't need to take up more bandwidth to give me access.

I should state that I forgot that the HD locals in L.A. are on ConUS transponders, but that is beside the point. It may not be LEGAL for Dish to provide any of the Superstations in HD to those out of the local DMA.

Can you guys tell me how you know the signal strength? It's been so long since I've had to resort to OTA broadcasts I barely remember how to hook up an antenna. I'm a Dish newbie, live in SD (92082), and desperately want KCAL. Please help.

How are the OTA signals for these stations at your house? Where I live, the KTLA digital signal is in the low sixties on my 622's signal strength meter. It is watchable most of the time, but not always. Its strength may increase after the demise of analog next February.

KCAL is in the high sixties at my house and watchable about 95% of the time. KCET is around 100 so of course is always strong and clear.

I live very close to the mountains, so I get shadowing for most stations from foreground ridges. People at the far end of my block get very high signal strength from almost every LA station.

If I recall correctly KTLA is already at full power for their digital channel. Out here in Moreno Valley I receive it at nearly 100%, so the problem may be your location. The one channel that I know for sure is not at full power is KCOP.

Can you guys tell me how you know the signal strength? It's been so long since I've had to resort to OTA broadcasts I barely remember how to hook up an antenna. I'm a Dish newbie, live in SD (92082), and desperately want KCAL. Please help.

There are many people in the San Diego area that can pick up the LA stations from Mt. Wilson, but it depends on your location. Start by checking at antennaweb.org for antenna recommendations. You will definately need a high-quality outdoor antenna.

KTLA in our Area should be HD

In our area (The Santa Barbara DMA) we receive KTLA on Channel 252 as long as you get locals(we dont have a local CW).Technically shouldnt we get KTLA in HD if we have an HD subscription.Possibly we have to wait for are Locals to go HD.If you live in this area please contact Dish and request,the more the better.

If I recall correctly KTLA is already at full power for their digital channel. Out here in Moreno Valley I receive it at nearly 100%, so the problem may be your location. The one channel that I know for sure is not at full power is KCOP.

I cannot get KCOP in at all, do you get it at all? How do you know when the stations are going at full power?:confused:

In our area (The Santa Barbara DMA) we receive KTLA on Channel 252 as long as you get locals(we dont have a local CW).Technically shouldnt we get KTLA in HD if we have an HD subscription.Possibly we have to wait for are Locals to go HD.If you live in this area please contact Dish and request,the more the better.

Again, it may not be LEGAL for Dish to provide any of the Superstations in HD to those outside the local DMA. SHIVRA expires some time in 2009 (I think; please correct me on that), so in the re-authorization process (re-write of the law--Congressional hearings, etc.) satellite will have the opportunity to address the Superstations in HD, but look for the NAB, as usual, to do all it can to prevent it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts