Ku LNB orientation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

esteveW

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Western WA
I have my solid 3 meter BUD set up and all seems to be working well on the C band. I'm finding almost all the satellites on the list(s). However, I haven't been able to get a single channel on Ku band.

I have a Corotor II Plus with an Eagle 770Ku, digital grade LNB. I have been suspecting that the LNB might be defective so I just took it off to verify the spec. etc.. Noise 0.6 dB, Input freq. 11.7 - 12.2 GHz, Output freq, 950 - 1450 MHz.

However, . It has a square base but I now notice rest of the housing isn't semetrical. It kinda tapers off more on one side. This may not mean anything but when I look down the feed opening I see that there is a small brass button on one side. I assume this is where the signal is picked up (for lack of a better descriptive term). I could try it in the other 3 positions, but it isn't easy to install and remove on the top rung of my ladder. (easier to ask those who know;).)

Before I order a replacement, I need to know and check out, which way this LNB should be oriented on the feed horn elbow. I'm pretty sure I remember how it was positioned when I took it off.

Does it really make any difference.:confused:

If I should replace it, what make/model should I use. I want to continue to use this Corotor II Plus since it is the only C / Ku feed horn that will fit my Button Hook without modification.

Any comment or suggestion will be appreciated.:D

Steve

I just reinstalled the Ku LNB on the feed horn elbow and found that the mount bolt holes are not equally spaced and the best I could do was rotate it 180 deg. . I'll try test it this evening and see if that makes any difference.

I doubt it but it doesn't cost $45 to experiment.

Steve

If you're using an analog receiver there's not much up there on KU. But if you're using a FTA digital receiver there's a ton of channels on KU.

Steve,

Just looked at my spare Co-rotor II, and yes, the Ku LNB only fits one way (well, two if you rotate it 180 degrees, lol).
Is this a solid metal dish?
If so, you should be able to pick some Ku channels.
I have an old 12' aluminum mesh dish (that was damaged enough to be replaced by
my neighbor's insurance company) that will pull in Ku channels with the Co-rotor that
is on it. I did have to replace both of my LNB's to get it working (they were taken out
by a near lightning strike).
If your dish is fiberglass, it should work, but depends on the mesh inside the fiberglass.
Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement Trinity,

My dish is solid aluminum and if all else fails (this economy), I can sell if for scrap and make a house payment. really heavy gauge.

It is in near perfect condition. Surprisingly, since it was only 20 ft off a rural road.

I'm going to order a replacement DMS Int. model ASC511 for $29 and change.

I'm optimistic.

Steve

My 10' mesh sami gets better signal on ku with the corotor and a norsat ku lnb than my 90cm solid with an invacom lnbf.

A big dish that is not warped and properly tuned will be super on KU especially a solid aluminum dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)