Ku Lnbs for BUD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tjstar

Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
I believe I need to change my Ku lnb and am looking for advice as to which ones are better than others. I have a 10 foot mesh Dish ( mesh is small enough) with Chaparrel corotor II c/ku feed horn. I bought a Coolsat 5000 receiver a few months back and it is not a clone. I use my uniden SQ 590 to move dish and change polarity. I have owned a BUD since the 1980s and was watching the old ku band years ago. Lighting got my old Ku lnb so I had not used it for years. Then I bought the CS receiver and I bought a used Aspen 770 ku lnb that I found. It does bring in stations but only brings in a couple Transponders. My Satellite Finder shows that the signal fluctuates a good bit which I am not sure that is normal. I have aimed my dish to many times to count and do not believe that is the problem. I do not have any problem bringing in C band and Know it is easier to get. The only thing I can think of is to change the Ku lnb and was looking at a Eagle Aspen .6 db or Astrotel .5 db ku lnb and have thought about getting the BSC621 so it could change the H & V polarity and I would not have to Skew the signal through my uniden receiver or atleast I believe that is the way it would work. Any suggestions on which lnbs are better than others .........I am looking at lnbs under a 100.00 dollars. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
thought about getting the BSC621 so it could change the H & V polarity .........I am looking at lnbs under a 100.00 dollars. Thanks
There are reviews in the review section (I didn't look)
There are two models of the BSC621
I have only seen one competitor, the GEOSATpro.
And you're right. $100 should get you one delivered, and maybe installed. :cool:

I use the Eagle Aspen .6 db LNB with my Co-Rotor II and have had good success with it.

I also currently have a 10' mesh BUD but am going to change it out for a less wind stressed 7.5' Perfect 10 dish. You can see the 10 footer and how it is mounted in my avatar. The only problems I have had with the KU part of the signal is when the wind blows and the old 10 footer has structural sway that loses the signal.

Other than that the Eagle Aspen has worked well for me.

I use a CalAmp .6 on one and a Toshiba .7 on another BUD. One has been around since the late 80's and the other since the early 90's. I would match either and even give odds on them outperforming any lnbf I've seen, especially the ones I've used.

Al

The top of the mast is currently about 20' from the ground.

When I put in the replacement dish, I am going to chop off about 18" from the top of the mast, and the replacement is a 7.5 footer which will bring the total height down about 3 feet.

Here is a pic of the current dish from the roof level.

prime-v-offset.jpg

Here is a pic of the replacement dish.
p10-75-2nd.jpg

It has a polar mount that is not in the center like those mentioned above.
p10-polar-mount-hh.jpg

I have sanded all the rust spots and have repainted this dish in preparation for installation just as soon as the weather breaks for real.

Cool, you should move that to the "Big Dish's" post and we could have a going picture library in a thread, specific to big dishes, which should then be made a sticky :D

Anyway, I have that same exact dish, that a family member let me take down last week. Im going to post the pics, when I get to taking them. I'm also treating the rust with multiple treatments of rust remover. The actual pole mount suffered the most. I'll say how I ended up taking it down, because I couldn't reach it, in the other thread when I post the actual dish pictures. Need to replace all the bolts, because 80% of them just twisted off, even with WD-40 and Nut Buster.

Attachments

• DSCN0371.JPG
    DSCN0371.JPG
    639.6 KB · Views: 153
its something else to put a dish on a high pole. best of luck lol i was fighting mine all day one day finally got it before dark lol

Cool, you should move that to the "Big Dish's" post and we could have a going picture library in a thread, specific to big dishes, which should then be made a sticky :D

Anyway, I have that same exact dish, that a family member let me take down last week. Im going to post the pics, when I get to taking them. I'm also treating the rust with multiple treatments of rust remover. The actual pole mount suffered the most. I'll say how I ended up taking it down, because I couldn't reach it, in the other thread when I post the actual dish pictures. Need to replace all the bolts, because 80% of them just twisted off, even with WD-40 and Nut Buster.

I've Seen That Dish Before! ...lol just kidding

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)