KUIL-LP (AMC 4 @ 101w) to drop Fox affiliation

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Interesting... I wonder how that technology works... They (apparently) can't use MPEG-4 (not part of the ATSC standards, or is it now?), that would really help with the quality issue.

A station in Alexandria, LA broadcasts CBS and NBC, both in HD, on their OTA signal. They look horrible! I'm glad one of my affiliates isn't doing that.

Harmonic Inc. |Press Release

Here is the original press release about the equipment and the station.

I don't go down to the ranch house as much as I used to. My mom spends more time up here now. It's been a few months since I watched those channels but they looked good showing the World Series and regular CBS primetime HD back in October.

I'd have to see it with my own eyes....but if broadcasters have bandwidth issues with taking a 1080i signal and combining it with 1 or 2 480i signals, I can't see how they can jam a 1080i and 720p in the same carrier. It's still MPEG2 no matter how you look at it.

Bad news, as it looks like KUIL is 100% moving forward as an independent. Just got this in the mailbox today.

Yes, we are moving forward with branding KUIL as an independent station. We do not as of yet know if this will affect KUIL’s placement on cable and satellite systems. As I learn more about the transition, I will definitely keep you updated. Thank you for your email and viewership.

so other than 2 hours a night and sports they dont have to change anything....all their syndicated stuff probably is contracted through KUIL, not Fox

so other than 2 hours a night and sports they dont have to change anything....all their syndicated stuff probably is contracted through KUIL, not Fox

Pretty much, excpet that is what was compelling about the station. Furthermore, the advertising revenue from the primetime programming and sports tends to pay for the quality of syndicated programing so suddenly the syndicated programming could become less compelling...

Here is the original press release about the equipment and the station.

It sounds like they are taking two high bitrate HD feeds (and one SD) from their networks and recompressing them at a lower bitrate in order to shove more "HD" into the same bandwidth. Just like the little dish guys have been doing.

DVD (480P) max bitrate is 9.8Mbps, typical average is maybe 5-6Mbps. Yet a 480i, a 720P, and a 1080i signal are all transmitted in 19.39Mbps?

Hopefully this "High Resolution Standard Definition" doesn't become the new OTA practice.

KLAB channel 5 in Alexandria, Louisiana (also a small marked) has been doing NBC on the main channel and CBS on the sub channel, all in 720 HD for a while also. When able to view the skip, picture quality is quite good also. I was really impressed.
As a side note, KUIL parent Bluebonnet has filed the application for the CP for the digital companion channel 43 for the LP analog channel 64. With the economy like it is, and the loss of major network programming, we all are anxiously awaiting what the programming choice is to be...

They're gonna be called "The U"
FOX 64 to drop affiliate in New Year >> www.beaumontenterprise.com - Local

The current FOX 64 channel hopes they have something U want.

On Jan. 1, Time Warner Cable's Channel 11 will cease broadcasting as a FOX affiliate and will become THE U, short for the channel's call letters, KUIL-TV.

THE U will expand their program line-up with sitcoms like "Scrubs," and the addition of more community service and Lamar University produced shows, according to Elias.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts