KUIL?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Couldn't even get KUIL today, lost my channels this morning and had to rescan everything, but that one didn't scan in when I hit AMC4. Have to try later.

Still no joy here in SE Ohio. Oh well.

WHAT can you get with two rectangles? Oops, starting to rain here. I got to find my pizza bread so I don't get wet like Mr. Lobster. :eek:

A week ago Kuil-TV was broadcasting strong and I was receiving the signal around 93% quality using my Coolsat 5K and a 76cm dish. But it was always a difficult channel to receive due to the fact of the very low symbol rate that many FTA receivers have problems with. I still can not scan in two of the channels from Satmex 5 at 116.8W with symbol rates of 1562 and 1954. On the 3rd of March I tested the effects of solar radiation on the signal for Kuil-TV when the sun aligned behind 101W AMC4 and posted the test results in a graph in the (FTA Shack section) entitled "Solar Outage it's time!". Of all the channels on most of the satellites Kuil-TV seemed to be affected the most by the solar radiation, also by rain or heavy cloud cover.

When this thread was first posted I tested Kuil-TV and could not pick up any quality on transponder 11706V, but it was also raining that day. Yesterday and today it is still overcast here but the quality for Kuil-TV is showing between 63 and 64% and that is the threashold level for my Coolsat. Every once in awhile I get a few pixels on the screen but that's about it. However I have noticed that this channel over the past several months will drop out to these low levels, then a few days later it will be back up to 93% quality. So all I can say is cross your fingers and just hope it returns.

only two years ago . . .

I remember reading Iceberg's post on receiving KUIL on a small dish and really getting excited! - :cool:
That inspired similar experiments by many of us.

First they lose their programming, and now their signal . . .
What the #@() happened?

I'm confused relative to what is so interesting about KUIL? I've never watched it, and figured it had the same programming as other FOX channels. Plus any channel with that small of an SR can't be very good quality.
So why is it that so many people seem to be interested in receiving this channel?
Just curious.

I'm confused relative to what is so interesting about KUIL? I've never watched it, and figured it had the same programming as other FOX channels. Plus any channel with that small of an SR can't be very good quality.
So why is it that so many people seem to be interested in receiving this channel?
Just curious.

Amazingly to me Kuil-TV video quality wasn't that bad.

Why are we interested in receiving this channel, simply because we can! That is; for some this is a great hobby and we try to push it to the extremes and test to see just what can be captured and viewed legally with the smallest dish possible. I for one am always scanning for new channels and testing different dishes, receivers and see what effects the sun has on satellite broadcasts or reflected interferences.

To boring to set down and watch much TV, experimenting is much more entertaining. Channels like Kuil-TV provide the challange to this hobby.

I tried around Noon Eastern with out any luck. :mad:

Because of KUIL, I am a member of this forum. I had just got my first Satworks and KUIL was on AMC 6. I got up one morning and it was gone, I was heart broke. I typed KUIL into Yahoo and found this site. It told me that KUIL had moved to AMC 4. With that valueable information secured, I joined this site. It's the thrill of the hunt that turns me on. Just for the record........the incompable ICEBERG was the poster. Thanks Tony!!!!!

Why are we interested in receiving this channel, simply because we can!

When KUIL was a FOX afiliate I used to watch it frequently during football season. Between the FOX stations on 101W, 123W and my local OTA signal I usually had some nice NFL options.

Consolodating replys....

Why are we interested in receiving this channel, simply because we can! That is; for some this is a great hobby and we try to push it to the extremes....

That part I understand. I've tuned it in dozens of times just to make sure that I could if I needed to, but never watched it for more than a minute or two.

It's just that TVRO is a game of signals coming and going, and we usually accept it when channels go away, but this one seemed to get more than the average attention, when there are other similar channels with the same content. I just thought that it might have some unique programming on it.

I tried around Noon Eastern with out any luck. :mad:

:flag: UNITED STATES AIR FORCE 1970-1974:flag:
3708 BMTS, FLT 1462 (ATC), Lackland AFB, TX

351st Security Police Squadron (SAC), Whiteman AFB, MO

4683rd Security Police Group (ADC), Thule AB, Greenland

The Thule AB Greenland caught my eye. Had to look up where it was. My father flew B-17s in WWII, and on his way home had to fly into Buie West 1 in Greenland. He said that landing was more scary than the bombing missions. I thought maybe Thule was BW1, but I see Thule is way further north. Neat.

When KUIL was a FOX afiliate I used to watch it frequently during football season. Between the FOX stations on 101W, 123W and my local OTA signal I usually had some nice NFL options.

Yeah, that's pretty much 50% of the reason I got into TVRO, ie to watch NFL (the other 50% is PBS). Luckily MY team is in the AFC, so most of the games were on the CBS HD feeds. I subscribed to NFL Sunday Ticket, but only had to resort to that ONCE this past season.

I tried around Noon Eastern with out any luck. :mad: ...
I'm now getting KUIL. Quality is in the mid 30's and the picture and sound are fine. :)

One thing I noticed is that it took about 20 seconds for my receiver to realize it had a signal coming in. If you're moving your dish, you can pass right by it without knowing. So I peak the signal on a good TP, then switch it over to KUIL's and wait.

Just curious.
I was wondering the same thing. But I was curious to see if my BUD could pick it up with its mediocre KU band performance.

As to the picture quality -- it is very good. The SR of a transponder seems to be proportional to the number of channels on it. The more channels the higher the SR.

Now I have a question: Why do some network affiliates put their station on satellite instead of (or in addition to) a conventional broadcast tower?

I
Now I have a question: Why do some network affiliates put their station on satellite instead of just the conventional broadcast tower?

depends on the company

KUIL is a sister company of KVHP which is the Fox broadcaster in nearby Lake Charles, LA. In fact at one point KUIL was a subchannel on KVHP.

KUIL was created for advertising and to show Cowboy games (KVHP shows Saints games)

as to why its on satellite? Probably because it is classified as low power so the cable companies nearby cant get it OTA (or get it good enough) so satellite works better.

Equity does it on G18 because they do everything in Little Rock instead of at the station locations....and because most of the stations they own are either LP stations (as classified by FCC) or at lower power (WMQF in Marquette is a good example...the analog tower is at 500KW versus a full power UHF of 5000KW)

Thanks for the explanation, Iceberg.

So it's the best solution for them to use satellite (they can centralize operations or get their signal to the cable company). Its a good deal for us too!

for Equity or KUIL?

KUIL I dont have the actual info since they are low powered but most of the stations are based in Port Arthur/Beaumont (the towers) and have to cover the northern part of the DMA (the towers are in the southern). All are full powered but KUIL so I think to get maximum cable coverage they have to be on satellite. We were worried once they lost Fox that they might lose satellite coverage but they are still (from what we've posted) there

Equity is due to the reasons I posted above. They do everything in Little Rock. Some areas they might have a small sales office (I think here in Minneapolis they have one for WUMN Univision) but the main reason they are on satellite is due to the cable coverage issue. I know WUMN is on a lot of cable companies (replacing the national Univision station) in Minnesota but they are very low power (1000 watts on VHF 13) so I can get them somewhat clear 20 miles from the tower but cable companies want something clearer. So they get the feed via KU or C-Band

Last night I try to pull in KUIL-TV, and just barley locked in at 38 to 41% Percent.:(

There are very broken pictures and the most of time no picture at it all.

As for the rest of other stations on AMC-4 they are coming in at 80 to 100 $ percent.

The 3ABN is a blowtorch same goes for RPTI they just max out my signal meter!!:eek:

Maybe KUIL-TV might have a uplink problem on their end?

Why are we interested in receiving this channel, simply because we can! That is; for some this is a great hobby and we try to push it to the extremes and test to see just what can be captured and viewed legally with the smallest dish possible. I for one am always scanning for new channels and testing different dishes, receivers and see what effects the sun has on satellite broadcasts or reflected interferences.

To boring to set down and watch much TV, experimenting is much more entertaining. Channels like Kuil-TV provide the challange to this hobby.

YES! Because it's there!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was a tech for AT&T. They had a large cable outage at 2AM one night. I was hanging out in the headend and decided to go help out on the phones. Stoner dude called in and wanted to know if there was a sun outage. I told him no it was a moon outage. He said, "wow man a moon outage, far out" and hung up.

I found it

Got KUIL back tonite, after trying the Detailed scan on this Icon (forgot it had that-2mhz steps) but the signal and quality is all over the place. Clear weather here so I guess there's trouble elsewhere. Signal goes from 38-50 bouncing around ,and quality from 40-44-50...picture still tears and breaks up some. Tyra is not one of my fav shows anyway lol. Other channels o n AMC4 come in 'like a high wind'.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)