L.A. HD Networks on 129 - Spotbeam?

superharo

Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew if the Los Angeles HD Networks on the 129 bird are being transmitted via a spotbeam satellite or are they conus? I'll be taking my receiver up to Northern California for a few months and was hoping I could bring them in when I travel up there. I do have the vip receiver.

Thanks Folks.:)

superharo said:
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew if the Los Angeles HD Networks on the 129 bird are being transmitted via a spotbeam satellite or are they conus? I'll be taking my receiver up to Northern California for a few months and was hoping I could bring them in when I travel up there. I do have the vip receiver.

There are no HD locals on spotbeam.

man i wish...

the spotbeams have such a high signal, i wish all the HDs were spotbeams... 129 needs help, i'm calling out my installer again (90 day warranty) to complain about low signals on 129 i want to see if he can peak it better (maybe this time his meter will have 129 programmed in it).

superharo said:
Hi,

abricko said:
the spotbeams have such a high signal, i wish all the HDs were spotbeams... 129 needs help, i'm calling out my installer again (90 day warranty) to complain about low signals on 129 i want to see if he can peak it better (maybe this time his meter will have 129 programmed in it).

Tell me about it, I have had them out 2x to readjust it and finally talked them into installing a 2nd dish, which they are supposed to do tomorrow.

OK, I'm just posting this to slow the flood of questions in the vein that have been popping up...please don't take offence.

1)The bird at 129 has no spotbeams. Period.

2)From the information those of us out of the loop have, it would be impossible to have spotbeams at 129 without designing and launching a new bird, THEREFORE...

3)There will likely never be spotbeams at 129...if there ever are, we will know about it WELL in advance, THEREFORE...

4)Most of the HD locals at 129 are there temporarily. Echo X at 110 will be the eventual home for most HD locals, as it has spotbeams to burn (and was pretty much designed with HD locals in mind), THEREFORE...

5)129 will likely be the home of NATIONAL HD only.

However, we can assume that at least a few markets will remain available nationaly as "distant HD locals". We can also assume that LA will be one of them. So LA may wind up staying right where it is. We don't KNOW, but it's a good bet.

M Sparks said:
OK, I'm just posting this to slow the flood of questions in the vein that have been popping up...please don't take offence.

1)The bird at 129 has no spotbeams. Period.

2)From the information those of us out of the loop have, it would be impossible to have spotbeams at 129 without designing and launching a new bird, THEREFORE...

3)There will likely never be spotbeams at 129...if there ever are, we will know about it WELL in advance, THEREFORE...

4)Most of the HD locals at 129 are there temporarily. Echo X at 110 will be the eventual home for most HD locals, as it has spotbeams to burn (and was pretty much designed with HD locals in mind), THEREFORE...

5)129 will likely be the home of NATIONAL HD only.

However, we can assume that at least a few markets will remain available nationaly as "distant HD locals". We can also assume that LA will be one of them. So LA may wind up staying right where it is. We don't KNOW, but it's a good bet.

Thanks for the post Sparks...Your post cleared up quite a few questions that had gone unanswered in another thread that I had started...

A couple questions though...

Echo X at 110? I take it this is a sattelite to be launched in the future? If so, is there an ETA for launch?

These spotbeams on the Echo X bird, they will most likely reach well beyond the actual DMA that they are intended to cover, correct? If so, is there an estimate as to how far the beams might reach?

Tx again for the informative post :)

guffy1 said:
Thanks for the post Sparks...Your post cleared up quite a few questions that had gone unanswered in another thread that I had started...

A couple questions though...

Echo X at 110? I take it this is a sattelite to be launched in the future? If so, is there an ETA for launch?

These spotbeams on the Echo X bird, they will most likely reach well beyond the actual DMA that they are intended to cover, correct? If so, is there an estimate as to how far the beams might reach?

Tx again for the informative post :)

Echo X is already launched, and tested. And is presently moving to its 110 location

As of Today, it's at 122:

http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/echo10.html

Cokeswigga said:
Echo X is already launched, and tested. And is presently moving to its 110 location

As of Today, it's at 122:

http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/echo10.html

Ah..I see..Tx alot for the info..

So basically if Im planning on getting DISH and pulling the old "move" trick it sounds like Im best off waiting and seeing how things shake out once that new bird at 110 is operational...

After reading the 211 bug thread I realize I need to wait for all the problems with that box to be addressed first anyways..

M Sparks said:
4)Most of the HD locals at 129 are there temporarily. Echo X at 110 will be the eventual home for most HD locals, as it has spotbeams to burn (and was pretty much designed with HD locals in mind)

Uh, OK please explain something - knowing full well that ALL SD local markets that are currently on 105, 121 AND all of the secondary locals on the wings, are moving to 110 (or in some cases to 119 spots), just where IS all the bandwidth coming from for HD locals as well? I don't think it has THAT many "spotbeams to burn" :confused: :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts