L2.37 Software Update for Models 522 & 625

Dish Network, you have an opportunity to thoroughly test your new MPEG-4 recievers that you are coming out with before releasing it to the public in mass.

Paradox-SJ said:
Thats kind of funny as the very same bug with the very same work around is in the 942.

I have a brand new 522 that I have not even opened yet waiting/debating if I should even bother. I got it to repalce my 508 which is 'reliable' but now I am not so sure

Wow.. mine has the worst problem that I have yet encountered and its running 236. Mine misses timers, they don't show as being skipped for any reason, and if I'm home and catch it "missing" the event, the thing won't even let me start it manually. I press the record button, tell it OK and the record light never turns on. I can switch to another channel other than the one the timer is set for, and it will record fine.

I also noticed today when i fast forward on the DVR sometime the program info box pops up. What a pain in the but.

davemanfl said:
I also noticed today when i fast forward on the DVR sometime the program info box pops up. What a pain in the but.
On our TV2 (with the UHF remote) this program info box used to pop up all the time. I'll bet it's because whatever code is normally sent to display this is what you get when your remote's signal didn't quite make it through intact. I guess you'd call this an "unintended default". I think every button we've pressed on the TV2 remote has resulted in a program info popup at some time or other.

I readjusted the antenna on the back of the 522 with the wife's help to get best signal transmission. We've also learned that a certain place in the room where TV2 is located just seems to be a radio dead spot. We now use the remote with our arms stretched straight up in the air, with the remote pointing at the ceiling. Looks dumb, but gives us about a 98% successful transmission rate. Those program info popups are now very rare.

haertig said:
We now use the remote with our arms stretched straight up in the air, with the remote pointing at the ceiling.
Sounds faintly reminiscent of the past... you could also try wrapping aluminum foil around the end of the remote, hold it high in your left hand, hold a straightened out wire hanger in your other hand, while leaning and raising your right foot, and slowly twist and bend around until your friends tell you the signal is good. :)

TuxCoder said:
Sounds faintly reminiscent of the past... you could also try wrapping aluminum foil around the end of the remote, hold it high in your left hand, hold a straightened out wire hanger in your other hand, while leaning and raising your right foot, and slowly twist and bend around until your friends tell you the signal is good. :)

Or you could just extend the UHF antenna with some RG-59 coax to a location nearer the room where you use the RF remote.

closed captions

The new software causes closed captions to disappear when you use swap in single mode. This was verified on three local sets - 2 different 522 receivers. We've reported the problem.

Pepper said:
They were never missing. It was an imaginary fix.

Did you have audio drops with 2.36? I watched at least a dozen hours of TV without one, and it is rare that I go just one hour without a drop with 2.37.

Sapient said:
Did you have audio drops with 2.36? I watched at least a dozen hours of TV without one, and it is rare that I go just one hour without a drop with 2.37.
I'm still on 2.36. Just as many audio drops as I've always had. 2.36 did absolutely nothing for my 522. It changed the system info screen so it always interrupts the signal with an undesired "check switch" - but that's about all. From what I've read here, 2.37 is nothing to get excited about either. I'd just as soon go back to 2.35. I think I was happiest even before the 2.xx days. NBR doesn't work that well for me (misses recordings all the time) and I seem to remember the greatest stability back in the 1.xx days. Maybe this is just wishful dreaming on my part. Truth is, this thing has never been all that stable. Just different problems to have to deal with every new release. My early days with the 522 where I was optimistic that they would fix the problems are long gone. I've now resigned myself to "It is what it is, and it won't be getting any better". I thought the people that had this attitude back in my early days were just overly critical and pessimistic. But not any more. The 522 used to be the flagship, so there was still hope it might be the first to get the fixes and enhancements. Now it's been replaced by newer models, and so is destined to share the same underwater graveyard with other abandoned flagships.

Well, I am just really surprised that you guys did not see an end to audio drops with 2.36. I watched enough that I don't think it could have been dumb luck.

I concur with you haertig that there is no reason to be hopeful about things being fixed, even though I don't have the problems that some do.

Weird. I'm still at 2.35. I watched the recorded finale to "Everybody Loves Raymond" last night and the audio drops were worse than ever. More than five or six in the half-hour segment. Lots of jittery video, too. I hope that doesn't mean the hard drive is dying after just three months.

Funny the 942 is rock solid in comparison to the 522 and the menus guides etc are similar. You would think that they could both receivers to work more alike. I would think that adding hd to the mix would have overloaded the box but it works great. Now the sd version of the same box doesn't work. That really makes no sense. :confused:

Why does this happen?

I have two shows set to record tomorrow at the same time. There are no other timers that will be running within an hour of these programs' beginnings or ends. Yet the 522 will only let one record because of a timer conflct with the other. Why?

Sapient said:
There are no other timers that will be running within an hour of these programs' beginnings or ends. Yet the 522 will only let one record because of a timer conflct with the other. Why?
Are you setting the timers from TV2? Something scheduled while using TV2 will not flip over to TV1's tuner even if that tuner is available. At least they won't flip with the way I have things set: Dual mode, default tuner enabled to TV2. Schedule from TV1, and TV2's tuner will be used if necessary. Schedule from TV2 and the only tuner you can schedule to is TV2. It will never use the TV1 tuner.

Audio Drops

How are you guys seeing these audio drops?
I've had my 522 for a while now with no audio drops.

Do they just occur when you record and playback? Or do you see them during normal live viewing?
I mostly watch live and can't say I've had any audio problems.

Now with my 510, I have seen audio sync loss when playing back a show recorded in DD 5.1.
That was weird as the analog signal would be fine but the dolby digital signal would loose sync unless I pause and then play.

Never seen this on the 522 however.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)