L3.55 for ViP 622 DVR

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
03/09/2006: 1512 Software Version L3.55 for ViP 622 DVR
Effective Friday, March 10th, Engineering plans to spool the FULL PHASE of software version L3.55 for the ViP 622 DVR receiver. This is primarily a non-forced maintenance release available at ALL satellite locations.
At this time L3.55 will be the valid software version for the ViP 622 DVR.

Do we have release notes?

I sure hope it fixes the bottom line being cut off in my Guide. Other than that, my 622 has been perfect. Hope a software update doesn't "cause" any problems.

canondave said:
I sure hope it fixes the bottom line being cut off in my Guide. Other than that, my 622 has been perfect. Hope a software update doesn't "cause" any problems.

Probably won't fix that

The problem is more widespread than the 622.

It does it on the 622, 211, 411, even the Expressvu 9200 (942)

So I think it is a CORE firmware problem.

It only does it in 'Extended guide' mode, ie, widescreen.

RandallA said:
03/09/2006: 1512 Software Version L3.55 for ViP 622 DVR
Effective Friday, March 10th, Engineering plans to spool the FULL PHASE of software version L3.55 for the ViP 622 DVR receiver. This is primarily a non-forced maintenance release available at ALL satellite locations.
At this time L3.55 will be the valid software version for the ViP 622 DVR.

Do we have release notes?

Okay, my 1st time newbie question (forgive me) :) - will my 622 automatically download this update? Or will I need to do something?

"will my 622 automatically download this update?" Yes, your receiver will take the update automatically.

BTW, does anybody know how to turn off software upgrades with the new ViP receivers? The old receivers had the option for system upgrades, "Ask before downloading" and "Without my permission". I don't see it in my 211 and don't see it either in the 622 interactive menus.

Last edited:
Release Notes Yet?

I'm going to force a reboot to see if i get it now. Do you have any release notes or know what it will fix (hoping audio sync issues... that's a huge issue IMHO!) It's still not listed in the tech portal

Last edited:
philhu said:
Probably won't fix that

The problem is more widespread than the 622.

It does it on the 622, 211, 411, even the Expressvu 9200 (942)

So I think it is a CORE firmware problem.

It only does it in 'Extended guide' mode, ie, widescreen.

Wow I thought this was just overscan issues on my set, and assumed even more so after I saw it on the 622 and 411. But I admit I didnt check it outside of Extended Guide format.. Interesting..

There is a new feature in it, which will give you an automatic "HD Favorites List"

By pressing select a few times you will see your now have an automatic favorites list which contains ONLY the HD channels you subscribe to (including your HD locals) :)

Kirby Baker said:
Wow I thought this was just overscan issues on my set, and assumed even more so after I saw it on the 622 and 411. But I admit I didnt check it outside of Extended Guide format.. Interesting..

I almost freaked when I first saw the guide on mine. When I bought my TV three years ago I spent HOURS adjusting the over-scan and geometry to get it as perfect as I could. I was thinking "Oh no, not again!":D

Scott Greczkowski said:
There is a new feature in it, which will give you an automatic "HD Favorites List"

By pressing select a few times you will see your now have an automatic favorites list which contains ONLY the HD channels you subscribe to (including your HD locals) :)

Select or guide?

Sam

Overnight

Well,
My 622 downloaded the new software overnight - as i'm now on 3.55 as of waking up. :D

Don't notice much - but the "HD Channel" list is now there as was previously mentioned.

When you hit Guide - you can change between "All Channels", "Subscribed Channels", and "HD Channels" by hitting Guide subsequent times.

After having DISH now for 1 week - i'm VERY happy.

3.55 downloaded last night...I didn't notice the ALL HD Guide Listing until I read this...very cool since I had already used up the other six: All chan, All sub, Me, Wife, Kid, Movies. The only problem is I can't remove some of the useless OTA channels that aren't even HD....all the stupid weather subchannels and six uselss PAX digital channels (don't even broadcast in HD).

Anyway, ALL HD is still a nice little feature that add to the DishHD experience.

I don't want to jinx this...

I have the l355 now (overnight it came in) so far I've been watching Conan O' Brian (which I record off my OTA NBC Channel) and there have been no audio sync Issues.

This OTA NBC station seemed to have the most problems with the audio sync issue (over optical)... I even skipped forward and back numerous times and it's still in sync!

I wonder if they fixed the audio dropouts problem (over optical). I'll keep you all updated on that.

Now if my local NBC could fix their low level audio broadcast issues... (I hate having to crank up the volume when I watch NBC and when I watch my CBS i have to turn down the volume a lot, they broadcast their audio level way too high!)

update: it still looks to be a little off sync (better than before though)... to be fair, this was recorded a few hours before the software update... so i'll try tonight again with SNL to see... I'll probably unplug the receiver, and let it sit for a few minutes then plug in again.

Also they fixed the Press Select To Continue bug... that one drove my wife crazy! That's probably why they skipped a version number... ;) LOL

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)