L618 fixes The Beast in 1080p!

Menu 6, 3, Analysis, HDMI Test, then look at the info 2 screen on the Disp. Info.
I checked that out and mine says:

Supported type: 1080i, 1080p60, etc.

Doed that mean that I can't view "The Beast 1080p"? Because I can't get the normal download to work. It tells me that I have to download a different version of the episode. My TV does not do 1080p/24Hz.

I was hoping the L618 would fix The Beast in 1080p for me, but it doesn't look like it did - unless I'm doing something wrong. I even tried a prior download of an episode - but it was downloaded the same way the the message prior to download about the format maybe not being compatible.

Thanks for your advice anyone...

Doed that mean that I can't view "The Beast 1080p"? Because I can't get the normal download to work. It tells me that I have to download a different version of the episode. My TV does not do 1080p/24Hz.

I was hoping the L618 would fix The Beast in 1080p for me, but it doesn't look like it did - unless I'm doing something wrong. I even tried a prior download of an episode - but it was downloaded the same way the the message prior to download about the format maybe not being compatible.

Based on the test your TV does not support 1080p/24 and that is what the show is delieverd in. There is nothing you can do (well almost nothing short of buying an external scaler)...

That said my TV also does not support 1080p/24 either BUT...and here is the part that will have you going HUG?!?!....I get the option to play it anyway and it does.
Obviously not in 1080p/24 but in some fall back resolution. WHY you dont get THAT option is the real question at this point.

Last edited:

Nope, you're out of luck if your TV won't do 1080p 24. Maybe they will change this in the future, who knows.

1080p24 versus 1080p30 or 1080p60 will obviously produce the smallest file size out of the three with the highest quality. If you had files for all three formats that were the same size, the 30 and 60 versions would obviously have to give up something to get to that file size.

Most new 1080p TVs can probably support 1080p24 (it might convert it to the TV's native format, but it will accept the signal) ... I don't see Dish moving from this format for a while.

Can you get a BluRay player to send a 1080p24 signal to your TV? If it can, and it works, your TV accepts a 1080p24 signal ... if this is the case ... then there is hope that Dish can "tweak" their code that figures out what your TV can do to hopefully someday include your TV ... if such is the case, I would definitely send a support email in to Dish giving them your receiver and TV details.

Based on the test your TV does not support 1080p/24 and that is what the show is delieverd in. There is nothing you can do (well almost nothing short of buying an external scaler)...

That said my TV also does not support 1080p/24 either BUT...and here is the part that will have you going HUG?!?!....I get the option to play it anyway and it does.
Obviously not in 1080p/24 but in some fall back resolution. WHY you dont get THAT option is the real question at this point.

Nope, you're out of luck if your TV won't do 1080p 24. Maybe they will change this in the future, who knows.
Thanks guys - I thought so. And thanks for the "HUG" Paradox ;)

I DO get the option to watch it in a different format - and I've watched one of the episodes prior to getting tht L618 software, but I had been hoping L618 would allow me to get it in actual 1080p. Oh well, no biggie. 1080i looks great on my TV.

1080p24 is the preferred format for HD movies.

This is the format that Blu-Ray uses for 1080p movies because it almost perfectly synchronizes with the 24 fps of motion pictures and there is no need for 3:2 pull down or any other trickery.

I forsee this as being around permanently for movies, they will never go to 1080p30 or 1080p60 for movies because it will need so much more processing to convert it from film to digital format.

Beast episode 108

1080p/24
ViP722
compatible formats lists correctly
unplugged for 20 minutes
HDMI
picture is great
no sound.

bruce

Guys I have a Sony KDL-40XBR4 that would not ever play any of the HDPPV movies that were offered in 1080p and I had basically given up. Then a week or so ago, I googled the issue and found someone on the AVS Forum that said that most of the Sony's would work with 1080p/24, only if Motion Enhancer is set to "OFF". On my set, this is found under Settings/Video Options/Off. It worked like a charm for me, so try it and hopefully your 1080p Sony will play Dish's 1080p offerings.

Guys I have a Sony KDL-40XBR4 that would not ever play any of the HDPPV movies that were offered in 1080p and I had basically given up. Then a week or so ago, I googled the issue and found someone on the AVS Forum that said that most of the Sony's would work with 1080p/24, only if Motion Enhancer is set to "OFF".

One had NOTHING to do with the other. The software update from Dish is what fixed the problem of you not being able to download the 1080p content, and you completely misunderstood what was being written in AVSForum.

What they were talking about on AVSForum was how to get your 120Hz set to display 24Hz content with a 5:5 cadence. Turning off the motion enhancer is how you do that. THAT DOES NOT CHANGE WHETHER YOUR SET ACCEPTS 1080p24 SIGNAL. IT ALWAYS DID.

Sorry, I was hoping to help anyone else who had been frustrated by owning a Sony HDTV that knew it was capable of 1080p24 to find that a lot of the problem was possibly a setting in the setup. I replied to this thread thinking that some of the Sony owners might have hoped that the L618 software update would fix them when the fact is that it would not accept the 1080p24 handshake without turning off the Motion Enhancer. I know how happy it made me, and I would love to make someone else's day with that bit of information. I find out so much useful information from those that share things like this on this forum, but your reply seemed a little harsh.

...a little harsh.
You could prove him right or wrong by simply turning it back on and trying it again. (Unless you already know)

There could be two things going on, or maybe one. L618 software update and the motion enhancer on your Sony. I'd be interested to hear if turning it back on makes it unable to display the 1080p from the satellite. Please let me know.

Thanks. I have a Sharp Aquos and it won't do 1080p either way from the satellite receiver.

Here is a quote that I found that turned me on to trying this on my Sony XBR4. I had tried numerous times with every new software update and could never get my set to accept the 1080p/24fps handshake until I turned off the Motion Enhancer. BuddyBoy hit it right on the head that this setting being turned off allows the set to correctly handle the 24fps input from Dish. Once I turn it back on, it will not pass the 1080p/24fps test.

"According to Sony's website the following W and Z series flat panels use the exact same 120Hz Motion Enhancer technology as the XBR4 and XBR5 displays. To learn more about this 5:5 pulldown technology click on the following review of the XBR4 Sony display.

http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldisplays/907sonyxbr4/

As soon as a professional review is published on the W and Z series that mentions the 1080P/24 feature and how it works the link on the main page will be updated. For now one can read the XBR4 review to see how the 120HZ feature works.

Sony KDL-52W4100 (1080P/24 correctly refreshed at 120HZ when Motion Enhancer is turned off)
Sony KDL-46W4100 (1080P/24 correctly refreshed at 120HZ when Motion Enhancer is turned off)
Sony KDL-40W4100 (1080P/24 correctly refreshed at 120HZ when Motion Enhancer is turned off)
Sony KDL-46Z4100/B (1080P/24 correctly refreshed at 120HZ when Motion Enhancer is turned off)
Sony KDL-46Z4100/S (1080P/24 correctly refreshed at 120HZ when Motion Enhancer is turned off)
Sony KDL-40Z4100/B (1080P/24 correctly refreshed at 120HZ when Motion Enhancer is turned off)
Sony KDL-40Z4100/S (1080P/24 correctly refreshed at 120HZ when Motion Enhancer is turned off)".

Again it works for my Sony and maybe it will help other Sony Bravia owners that have had problems with the 1080p/24fps offerings from Dish Network. I'm sorry if my previous post was off topic, but I know that any of the software updates were not working for me until I made this setting change. Thanks!

I have a Sony KDL-46V3000 and I've had the Cinemotion turned off for a while because it actually screwed up the ESPN ticker. 1080p24 did not work for me until L618.

Oh ok. I've got a TH50-PZ700U. Maybe it does not support the right 1080p.

...Can you get a BluRay player to send a 1080p24 signal to your TV? If it can, and it works, your TV accepts a 1080p24 signal ... if this is the case ... then there is hope that Dish can "tweak" their code that figures out what your TV can do to hopefully someday include your TV ... if such is the case, I would definitely send a support email in to Dish giving them your receiver and TV details.

I've got a TH-65PZ750U and the HDMI test says 1080p60. However, I was able to download and watch The Beast with no problems, so does that mean my TV was able to deinterlace the 1080i to 1080p or was it 1080i? Also, I have watched BluRay movies so is my TV able to display 1080p24 or what? I have a 622 but replacing it with a 722 tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

If the HDMI test does not come back with 1080p24, then the version that you watched would have been the 1080i version.

If the HDMI test does not come back with 1080p24, then the version that you watched would have been the 1080i version.

Thanks, theoak. So, is the bluray I see on my TV displaying 1080p60, and if so, would the bluray display a better quality 1080p24 picture if I had a 1080p24 capable TV?

Thanks again for the help.

Some blu players have a setup mode where you can choose what is getting sent to your TV. You can test your TV that way. Each blu player is unique, it would be hard for me to say what the blu player ends up sending to your tv.

One thing to keep in mind though is that the Dish HDMI test still needs some tweaking as there are reports of folks having 1080p24 tvs and it still does not work for them. If your blu player allows you to test the modes and it does play in 1080p24, your TV obviously supports 1080p24, unfortunately Dish's HDMI test does not and until Dish fixes that you will be stuck with 1080i :(