L751 on 722K

I had to disable the timer to watch the Olympic ceremony. It would be annoying to have my 722k cut off 2 hours into a 4-5 hour broadcast.
My first thought was, there's rarely ever any show that last 4-5 hours, so reducing the standby timer isn't a big deal. But 2 hours ? A football game is always over 2 hours, isn't it ?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I have never understood why dish has their receivers go to standby in the first place. Based on reports I have read there is very little if any power savings by doing so. I have had mine disabled from day one. However, in spite of that they still seemed to go to standby mode anyway. Another thing I wonder about is, since the universal fix for so many of Dish receiver problems has always been to "Unplug" your receiver, why don't they install a hard on/off switch on the front panel where it is easy to get at? For many of us who have their receivers in an entertainment center along with other equipment, finding the right cord to unplug amongst the forest and tangle of cords is no easy task. It would seem more useful and logical to install a switch which would kill all power than a routine which goes into a fake sleep mode!

In my long experience with Dish, it seems the reliability of their receivers is inversely proportional to the number of bells & whistles they add with each model. By that reasoning the Hopper must be a nightmare of biblical proportions! So if you want more tuners, it may be better to get a second 722K, you might be lucky and get one or 2 that have no problems. We have two 722K's which in effect gives us 4 satellite tuners and 4 OTA tuners and even at that we still sometimes get conflicts.
One of them is more than a year old and has had zero problems, can't say the same for the other which is on a 3-4 month replacement cycle. Maybe all of the refurbished ones are all just defective receivers they just keep recycling. They probably need to scrap the lot of them and send out new ones for a while.
Michael

I believe standby mode's main function is reduce HDD wear.

As for an on/off switch, a) users would turn their DVRs off and then complain that shows aren't being recorded and b) how often does someone have to do a hard power reset ? A few times a year ? Anytii one would have to, it's for something out of the ordinary. Companies don't design for exceptions, they design for normal operation.

I believe standby mode's main function is reduce HDD wear.

Do you know for sure it shuts off the hard drive, that's fine if that is the case, but I've never heard that

As for an on/off switch, a) users would turn their DVRs off and then complain that shows aren't being recorded

Well it could be placed in the front panel compartment with the door on it, or on the back where you could reach it. Now if the reset button which the 722k now has is as effective as cutting power to reboot the receiver, then the CSR's should be told to instruct to use this. It seem most of them don't know it's there.

and b) how often does someone have to do a hard power reset ? A few times a year ? Anytii one would have to, it's for something out of the ordinary. Companies don't design for exceptions, they design for normal operation.

On one of my receivers it at least biweekly. The other receiver once in over a year! Both receivers were originally new (not referbs) and I had no problems in 6 months then a power surge wiped out one of them and Dish replaced it, with a referb of course, and then the problems began. With the exception of the recent problem of freezing and rebooting it is a different problem each time. Both receivers live in the same entertainment center and the environment is the same both receivers. One is a constant source of trouble and the other hums along happily with no problems! It's a mystery to me!
Michael

Poor training. The vast majority of receivers don't have a switch or button to use so they don't remember this about the 722k (?).

I like having Dish again. I just wish Dish would put out a 6-8 tuner version of the 722 or 922 dvr 4 all customers.

I'm not trying to be a smart a$$,but Dish does have a 3 tuner version,it's called the Hopper. I think that Dish will be centering their new/future receivers/DVR's around the Hopper/Joey. I do wish that they would integrate legacy ViP receivers into the Hopper/Joey whole home system.

The HDD doesn't spin down in standby mode. It always runs the same. There is a reset shut off switch on the 722k. It only turns the power off when holding it down.

Correct .If the Hard drive shut down in stand by, it could not record in standby. Which it does. I always thought it was a screen saver. Of sorts