LA HD outside LA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

panchopantera

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2004
If my service address for D* is in Los Angeles but live in the southeast, what HD channels would I recieve if i sign up for HD programming, assuming I switch to the correct dish/LNB? I know of course that if I change the service address to where I live that would work, but there are other issues that might prevent me from doing this...

Could you please let me know if ABC, FOX, NBC, CBS and some movie channles (HBO, HDNet, etc) would work in HD? I've read somehting about switching some HD channles that are currenlty not spot beammed to spot beamed in 2007...

Thanks for all your help.. I would not want to go all the way for HD (including new TV) and then find out that I can only recieve one channel...

If your service address is LA then you will get ABC CBS NBC and FOX in HD over satellite. Currently these stations are on a CONUS (continental US) beam primarily for DNS Subs. I don't know how long this will last, as D* is moving all network HD over to MPEG 4 and Spot Beam sats. For now, you will receive the "4 majors" from LA + HBO, HDNET, ESPN, ect. with a receiver located anywhere in the US.

Thaks a lot.... in this situation, which dish should I use?? the 3-lnb of the 5-lnb dish?
Thanks again.

I would still get the 5LNB, because MAYBE somewhere down the road you MIGHT decide to change your service address to your actual location and then you are already to go. You likely can get the 5LNB from somewhere at near the same cost as the 3LNB so why not just have it already? You will still be able to get everything else and older non-MPEG4 receivers will work with it so just have the dish future-ready.

You can use either dish to pick up the LA Network HD channels, along with the other MPEG-2 HD channels. However, if you can I would go with the 5 lnb dish, as this will support the rolling out of new MPEG-4 national HD channels next year.

The only question is do you feel comfortable doing this install yourself, as it is more difficult than the 3 lnb dish. Using a DirecTV authorized technician may not be a good option, as they could report your name and service address to DirecTV. Then your "moving" action could be discovered and you would lose LA distants.

Thanks very much... I'll go ahead and get the Slimline 5lnb dish.
As for the install, I don't know if it is substantially more difficult than the single LNB ones (I guess it is..)... I've had DTV since 1997 and I have always done the dish installs myself (more than 10 times.. plus friends) but obviously just one sat...
Do you think that it would be very very difficult to install myself??
Thanks again..

no; but I am sure someone will post some crap-engineered way (or adapter) to attempt it although not advised or correct and only asking for headaches; just used the actual mast designed for it.

Can you mount that slimline using the same J-mount as the phase 3?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)