LA Locals Going Spot Beam TONIGHT

Are there another way to get those channels? I mean other system or satellite...

Thankyou !.... This is a national tragedy

So upset with Dish Network !

alcotv,

Welcome!

I wouldn't exactly call it a national tragedy when it is ILLEGAL for Dish to sell the LA networks to ANYONE outside the LA area. But to answer your question, DirecTV still offers these nationally to QUALIFYING subscribers.

Hall,
I'm not too sure about Denver nets moving. The Denver TV market is enormous and extends well outside the spot beam. Now, how long the "favoratism" to the networks will go unchannelged by one of the "minor" stations in the Denver market is another question. :)

Attachments

• Denver.gif
    Denver.gif
    46.7 KB · Views: 149
Having "moved" to NY looks like I am going to have to "move"again. lets say i was in the city of Temecula California about 10-15 miles inside the range for LA locals. And about 10-15 miles out of the range of where I would qualify for San Diego Locals. If San Diego was in a spot would I be able to receive them if I "moved" there......

With then being Distant Networks they HAD to be on Conus beams or they would not be Distant Networks. :)

No suspect timing.

A distant network station is any network station that originates outside of your local area. As long as you are in the footprint, are eligible and aren't dealing with E* - KPIG, the ABC affiliate in Hooterville could be a DNS for you if your DBS decided to offer it. Spotbeam or Conus are not part of the definition.

A distant network station is any network station that originates outside of your local area. As long as you are in the footprint, are eligible and aren't dealing with E* - KPIG, the ABC affiliate in Hooterville could be a DNS for you if your DBS decided to offer it. Spotbeam or Conus are not part of the definition.

Not likely to be very distant if not on ConUS beam though.

If you really want distant nets, write your congressman and have the law changed, so that anyone can subscribe to any network. Remmeber the networks lobby is very strong in Congress. So, it would have to be an uprising by the people(that's us) to get the law changed. Let's get going with those letters. It's time the local stations learned what competition is. I am tired or them prempting network programming all the time.

alcotv,

Welcome!

I wouldn't exactly call it a national tragedy when it is ILLEGAL for Dish to sell the LA networks to ANYONE outside the LA area. But to answer your question, DirecTV still offers these nationally to QUALIFYING subscribers.

Hall,
I'm not too sure about Denver nets moving. The Denver TV market is enormous and extends well outside the spot beam. Now, how long the "favoratism" to the networks will go unchannelged by one of the "minor" stations in the Denver market is another question. :)

Since I see Denver being mentioned, it reminded me of something. I was on a Carnival cruise to the Bahamas last week. Looks like they were using E* for their sat service, and the big 4 we got were from Denver. Perhaps they'll keep one city on ConUS for situations like this (cruise ships, airlines, etc), who knows.

While plans may exist, now that I think about it.. it is unlikely that they have the bandwidth to do any of this right now. They also do not have any satellites going up in the near future that will sort EXTRA Ka bandwidth as well (E11 will not be spot). I would say that clearly too many people "MOVED" and they wanted to make a point of stopping this via an example! Dish does not have the ability to cut all conus Nets out right now I do not think. Althought, I have been wrong before! ;0

-B

If you really want distant nets, write your congressman and have the law changed, so that anyone can subscribe to any network. Remmeber the networks lobby is very strong in Congress. So, it would have to be an uprising by the people(that's us) to get the law changed. Let's get going with those letters. It's time the local stations learned what competition is. I am tired or them prempting network programming all the time.
Strong is an understatement.

Unless you can offer something as equally compelling as the millions of dollars worth of premium air time each affiliate makes available to each congressional candidate running for re-election every 2 years, you have no chance.

The aggregate of all those affiliate stations across the country is collectively served (read controlled) by the NAB. Therefore anybody that runs for office and needs campaign air time is vulnerable to their influence.

I would take an uprising somewhere on a scale of that against prohibition to possibly counter the power currently held by the NAB over congress.

I would take an uprising somewhere on a scale of that against prohibition to possibly counter the power currently held by the NAB over congress.
Wait until the digital conversion takes place.:eek: Then there may be enough unhappy OTA viewers to mount just such a campaign. Still, in the mean time, send those letters. Congress hates to receive letters from unhappy sheep, I mean voters.:D That reminds me that I have to respond to a letter from my Congressman. He just doesn't get it yet.

Strong is an understatement.

Unless you can offer something as equally compelling as the millions of dollars worth of premium air time each affiliate makes available to each congressional candidate running for re-election every 2 years, you have no chance.

How about if E* made its air time (where cable channels normally insert local advertising) available for political ads at a very favorable rate?

I'd swap an E* ad hawking pay-per-view events or cc autopay for a political ad if distant networks was available. Heck, they could sell the time ON the distant network channels!

Apparently S F and Atlanta are staying as conus feeds and are available via an independent agency, (with DISH's blessings) therefore not being in violation of the court order, ordering DISH to stop selling distant signals

I jus went there (www.callnps.com), clicked on the link that said something like "Distant Networks" and apparently they offer a DISH approved solution to the distant network problems.

That reminds me that I have to respond to a letter from my Congressman. He just doesn't get it yet.

You mean that the assistant to the staffer of your Congressman doesn't get it yet.

Watch the coverage of a committee meeting in Congress (channel 210 or 212) and you will see people sitting behind the Congressmen. Those people are the ones who write the bills and deal with issues.

Congressmen and Senators only have time to plan their next campaign...

Apparently S F and Atlanta are staying as conus feeds and are available via an independent agency, (with DISH's blessings) therefore not being in violation of the court order, ordering DISH to stop selling distant signals

I jus went there (www.callnps.com), clicked on the link that said something like "Distant Networks" and apparently they offer a DISH approved solution to the distant network problems.

I might suggest that MexicoPete change his moniker to Rip Van Winkle. This new DNS service to which you speak has been talked about here for the last three weeks with hundreds of posts.

Welllllll my L.A. Locals are gone dammmmmmm
That means I will have to get the San Francisco stations or Vegas or Reno if on Conus and hope they don't go away....
Now I can go with Directv but you need a phone connected to the Receiver from L.A. and I am out of luck with that since i am from Nyc....
Also I can go with Starchoice from Canada and get the Washington States and detroit,buffalo Locals.....
I have a 10 foot dish and was getting the Denver 8 Locals and I was not going to renew on 12/27/06.....But I guess I will have to go back and my Denver 8 for another year.............I do miss my L.A. Stations with L.A. Live and the car chases......JohnnyT

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts