[langtitle=da]HR22 dish aiming trouble.[/langtitle]

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

doingitwell

Original poster
Dec 27, 2010
northwest
[lang=da]First let me say HI to everyone, first time posting.

I have a question please, I recently moved and I'm aiming up my HR22 receiver and dish, it's the older 18" model, anyhow I'm having a tough time. In the past I've always used my old DRD-222RD receiver to aim the dish as it works fast and is very simple. Well, after I moved I forgot my older receiver so I'm trying to aim it with the HR22, its a PITA. I can't even get a "chirp" of a signal sound. I access the setup, then dish pointing, then view signal strength/signal meter(s) and I can't get locked on to save my life.

If it helps I had the setup working just fine at my previous residence.

Any help would be appreciated.[/lang]

Last edited:
[langtitle=da]HR22 dish aiming problems[/langtitle]

I have a question please, I recently moved and I'm trying to aim my HR22 receiver and dish, I'm using the older 18" dish, I'm having a tough time aiming the dish. In the past I've used my old DRD-222RD receiver two aim the dish as it works fast and is very simple. Well, after I moved I lost my remote for my older receiver and I can't access the dish aiming menu without it. I thought about programming my RC64 remote to operate the older 222RD but don't know if that will work so I'm trying to aim it with the HR22, its a PITA. I cannot even get a "chirp" of a signal sound. I access the setup, then dish pointing, then select the signal strength/signal meter(s) and I cannot get locked on to save my life. Does the HR22 operate similarly to how my other receiver does in regards to dish pointing?

Any help would be appreciated.​
[/lang]

I have a question please, I recently moved and I'm trying to aim my HR22 receiver and dish, I'm using the older 18" dish, I'm having a tough time aiming the dish. In the past I've used my old DRD-222RD receiver two aim the dish as it works fast and is very simple. Well, after I moved I lost my remote for my older receiver and I can't access the dish aiming menu without it. I thought about programming my RC64 remote to operate the older 222RD but don't know if that will work so I'm trying to aim it with the HR22, its a PITA. I cannot even get a "chirp" of a signal sound. I access the setup, then dish pointing, then select the signal strength/signal meter(s) and I cannot get locked on to save my life. Does the HR22 operate similarly to how my other receiver does in regards to dish pointing?

Any help would be appreciated.​
[/lang]

Kind of hard understanding your post, I think your trying to set up a HR22 with an old 18" dish.

If thats the case .... are you wanting to get HD with this set up, if so, it's not gonna happen, you need to upgrade to a Slimline dish, a wide variety available.
The 18" doesn't see thew sats that the HD programming is on (99 and 103 sats.) The 18" sees the 101 and with a LNB upgrade, would see the 101, 110 and 119, which won't help if HD is the object.
You SHOULD be able to lock on the 101 and get the channels that are on the 101, most of the core programming is on it, in SD only.

[lang=da]Jimbo, thank you for the post. I agree, my post was kinda questionable. No need for HD and yes I'm running an old
school dish with the HR22. My problem is, I've never had to aim the dish using this receiver. In the past I've always used my DRD-222RD because of the ease I've always had with aiming. Does the HR22 operate in the same manner? I mean, when I use the 222RD and just slowly sweep the area of the sky of where the 101 or 110 satellite is I get audible tone within 10-15 seconds, it really seems to process the signal quickly.

Hope this helps with my confusion,[/lang]

I tried to run it last night with the RC64, no luck. I'm picking up a universal RCA remote on the way home so I'll hopefully
have myself covered. I would rather just use the HR22 but I'm unsure if it "aims" up like the older receiver does.

I tried to run it last night with the RC64, no luck. I'm picking up a universal RCA remote on the way home so I'll hopefully
have myself covered. I would rather just use the HR22 but I'm unsure if it "aims" up like the older receiver does.

You should be able to set up the 18" with the HR22 the same way you have previously, seeing your not looking for any HD, you need to lock on to the 101 sat.

That's my problem Jimbo, I can't seem to align the dish using the HR22. With my older receiver I can have a 80plus signal within minutes of starting. I messed around with the HR22 last night for I bet 15 minutes and can't get any tones or signal strength to show.

That's my problem Jimbo, I can't seem to align the dish using the HR22. With my older receiver I can have a 80plus signal within minutes of starting. I messed around with the HR22 last night for I bet 15 minutes and can't get any tones or signal strength to show.

Go out and set it up so your signal is good using the older recvr, then come in and connect the HR22, run in the menus the "Repeat Sat Set Up" when your in there, make sure it's set fir the correct dish, it's probably looking at the Slimline as a default because thats what it is designed for, change it to 18" and run thru the set up and see if that helps you.

The newer receivers do not have an audible indication, so you need to have someone watch the signal strength screen or bring the receiver and a portable TV to the dish location. Installers use a special meter for aiming, but with patience you can do it without one.

Wanted to give an update to my OP, bought a universal RCA remote last night, fired up my older receiver, went to the dish and within 30 seconds had tone and then another minute I was at 85%. Problem solved for me. Now I bought a new TV
and am going to get the slim dish to get the HD. Also, I goofed in my original post, I have a R16-100 receiver and not the HR22 I had thought...brain fart I guess.
So, any suggestions of what dish to get for the R16?

And thank you all for your help with my previous problem.

For hd you want a Slimline dish. The lnb comes in several types. A single wire into the house is called a SWM type. It allows you to use one wire to a dvr and still be able to use both tuners. They can be SWM3 or SWM5. The 3 sees the 99, 101, and 103 satellites. The 5 adds the 110 and 119 satellites. The biggest use for the 119 is to get local sd channels, if your area gets them from 119. Many get them from 101 and therefore only need the SWM3. You can check at LyngSat - Lyngemark Satellite to see where your sd locals are. If you already have at least two cables into the house you can use a standard SL3 or SL5 lnb.

You seriously need to have DIRECTV send someone out to install a complete HD setup for you. The R16 will work with any dish, but it will never give you HD.

Self-installing is overrated.

R16 will work fine on an 18" dish and will gain no benefit from a ka/ku (slimline).
If you decide to go HD, then don't even bother with the self install.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts