Laptop Harddrive in destop

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hbk409

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 12, 2005
LI,NY
I have a laptop that died about two years ago, however about a month before it died I upgraded the harddrive to a 120GB drive. Is there anyway to take it out and install it in my desktop?

Fry's and other places sell a hard drive adapter that allow you to use the laptop drive in your desktop. 44 pin to 40 IDE adapter. But I never seen a bracket that will allow you to securely mount it in your desktop.

yes, there are a few options. Either an external enclosure that will turn that HD into a portable HD, with a USB connection, or you can find an adapter to convert it to IDE and fit inside your desktop.

I picked up one of those adapters for around $15 here locally, and I know the enclosures would be around 50.

so i got it in the mail today go to hook it up, I have a seagate harddrive and instead of having the pins stick out like on most hard drives they are actually enclosed in plastic? see pic

Attachments

• IMG_0522.JPG
    IMG_0522.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0523.JPG
    IMG_0523.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0525.JPG
    IMG_0525.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 168
ok there was and an adaptor on the laptop hard drive i was able to pull off, and put the adaptor plug the covertor I purchased into the laptop. however when I went to hook it up to my desktop the adaptor that has 1 too many pins, the middle pin that is normal out, is there. So I cant attach it to an ata cable.

You should be able to just break the pin and connect the cable. I'm looking at my adapter and it doesn't have that pin in the middle but I've seen some that do. Either you find an IDE cable that has an opening for that middle pin or just break the middle pin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)