Laptop too cheap to ignore

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Well I finally bought a laptop. I have been resisting buying one for a long time. Never have been able to justify it in my mind, especially since I could build desktops for a lot less.

Well I was in Best Buy, and they had some starting at $399. Previously I had decided I would never get a single processor machine again, way too slow, the antivirus and windows backgroup stuff takes up a whole processor, so 2 is what you really need, 1 for what you are doing, one for whatever else is going on in the background. Finally there were dual processor units for $399. I guess they finally ran out of the Celeron Ms.

Well I really did not buy the $399 one, but got a $449 one instead. The extra $50 got me 1GB instead of 512 and Vista home premium instead of basic. Also the $399 was closeout on the display unit, $449 was a brand new unit in still sealed box. Best Buy of course wanted to sell me the 3 year warrantee (comes with 1 year) for $249... I declined, seemed pointless to pay more than 1/2 the price for the warrantee. If it breaks, I guess I will be buying a newer faster cheaper one with my $249.

It is a Pentium T2080 processor, they dug the Pentium name out of retirement. It is really an original Core Duo processor (32 bit, not Core 2 64bit). Only thing I would have like to have had on it would have been 64 bit support.

Now I have to find stuff to do with it. Which is the main reason I never bought one before, is that I have 2-3 computers at a time at my desk. I had always just borrowed my Dad's old laptop on trips for surfing. Now I guess I will take my laptop instead.

Finally laptops are getting down to the affordable price. When you consider it is dual processor at 1.73Ghz, 1MB of cache, 1GB of memory, 80GB disk it is not even crippled.

just remember, laptops uh don't go in your lap. Some research has shown that the heat from laptops directly on your lap instead of on a table or something can actually cause sperm to die and/or mutate!

It is just amaizing to me how much movement there has been on laptop pricing over the last year. I guess they have decided that since laptops are becomming more popular than desktops that they better come out with cheap ones for the masses. Seems like decent laptops were always $1500 before 2006, they broke $1000 and now $500.

Prices are dropping, I think, in part because with Iphones and similar gadgets coming in to the market, laptops are going to be old clunky things in the not so distant future.

Sounds like a good deal. I need to get another laptop for my research assistants; might check into Best Buy to see what they have.

Prices are dropping, I think, in part because with Iphones and similar gadgets coming in to the market, laptops are going to be old clunky things in the not so distant future.

Do you think lap top will be out of fashion soon.Then which instrument will fill its space.can you prdict the future.

$399 is a great deal, heck $1k on something comparable to my desktop is a good deal but that wont be happening for a bit longer though they are close.

The nice thing is that the dual core systems are fast enough for most things if you get 2GB of memory they are nice and responsive. I put 2 gb in, the bad thing was I had to take the 1gb out, $85 upgrade. About 20% of the machine cost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)