Larger dish to face huge test this evening.

MattP-bgsu

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Well, I'm all ready for fight night. Friends from work are all set to come over, and it's supposed to rain. Go figure. I just recieved a dish upgrade a week ago, and it hasn't rained until now, so I really hope that it is going to help with my once horrible rain fade problem. I will fill you in tomorrow.

We've had the 29" oval dish for a long time now. We have not had one glitch since the install. Though, we have not had a great deal of rain since it was installed either.

Seems like locals come in better now too.

Love the new 29!

MattP-bgsu said:
Well, I'm all ready for fight night. Friends from work are all set to come over, and it's supposed to rain. Go figure. I just recieved a dish upgrade a week ago, and it hasn't rained until now, so I really hope that it is going to help with my once horrible rain fade problem. I will fill you in tomorrow.

I got the upgrade a few weeks ago (probably the same as yours) but I still do get rain fade. I even tried repeaking - and in SE South Dakota I still only get a signal strength of 84-85 (no diplexor).

I emailed Wilt, and recieved a call from Prostar about the service call within 4 days. I had to delay the service call for 5 days, waiting for my day off (not taking off time for them) and that was that. So, technically I waited for about 9 days.

Radar looks bad, which figures. Oh well. If it rains hard enough, they can't blame it all on voom. They have direct or dish network and have had rain fade issues also.

I've had Voom since March or so, and was wondering if I should have gotten the new oval dish. I haven't yet. Do I need to call customer service?

stucky_boss said:
I've had Voom since March or so, and was wondering if I should have gotten the new oval dish. I haven't yet. Do I need to call customer service?

This is not the new oval 36" inches yet. This is an upgraded dish he got for his rain fade problem.

Sean Mota said:
This is not the new oval 36" inches yet. This is an upgraded dish he got for his rain fade problem.

On a related note (an im still a n00b here so I dont know alot about the upgrades), is the upgrade going to be a special dish and if so will voom provide it? I have a elliptical direcTV dish right now and was going to sell it once voom gets installed (next tues) but if it will work with the new voom and they dont give away the new dishes' I think it would be a good idea to hang onto it ;)

I haven't chipped in on this problem in a while. I live in South Florida and the rain fade positively sucks. I have a 24" dish I purchased myself. Signal strength is always 96 or 97 in good weather. Makes no difference - minor showers or heavy clouds to the east knock it out. Fortunately, storms in South Florida (the normal daily type) usually fly through so it isn't usually out more than 10 to 30 minutes. Still, it's nuts. Just wait for a tropical wave or depression - I'll be out for days. (Don't even think of mentioning a hurricane).

The Voom elliptical dish is going to be at least double or 2.5 the size of the DirecTV oval dish. This is because Voom has to use a satellite that is broadcasting in FSS.

The DirecTV oval dish is way, way too small.

The Voom dish will be the size of a super dish almost.

jagouar said:
On a related note (an im still a n00b here so I dont know alot about the upgrades), is the upgrade going to be a special dish and if so will voom provide it? I have a elliptical direcTV dish right now and was going to sell it once voom gets installed (next tues) but if it will work with the new voom and they dont give away the new dishes' I think it would be a good idea to hang onto it ;)

another quote "In addition, on April 23, 2004, we entered into an agreement with
SES Americom, Inc. to lease 13 transponders as of October 1, 2004 and three
transponders as of January 1, 2005 on its Americom-6 satellite, which is located
at 72(degree) W.L. In certain circumstances we have the option of leasing three
additional transponders commencing on or prior to January 1, 2006 and five
additional transponders commencing on or prior to January 1, 2007. We intend to
use this transponder capacity to significantly increase the number of high
definition and standard definition channels we offer our subscribers beginning
in October 2004 when the lease commences. Because of the proximity of the
Americom-6 satellite to our existing Rainbow 1 satellite, which is located at
its 61.5(degree) W.L., our subscribers will be able to access the signal from
both satellites with a single elliptical satellite antenna that will be
approximately 35" wide by 20" high. This antenna is larger than the
approximately 18" antenna we have installed and are currently installing for our
customers. We expect to begin installing the new antennas before the October,
2004 transponder lease commencement date. We will offer a free switch over of
existing customers to the new antennas on a phased basis when they are
available."

Sean Mota said:
...We expect to begin installing the new antennas before the October, 2004 transponder lease commencement date. We will offer a free switch over of existing customers to the new antennas on a phased basis when they are available."

I suppose this will start in about 2 weeks ;-)

Dish passes test with flying colors! Constant rain here in NW Ohio, but never a flicker. I was taping the ppv for a friend, so this is the first time I had checked sat. strength (normal 96-97) and it's 92. By the way it's still raining, not too heavy but very steady. Before I would say this kind of rain would have dropped me into the 70's. Overall extremely happy, and glad that Williams won the bout. The ppv really needed that last shot in the arm.

What size dish, Matt?

Voom is going to install, what I gather, is a 30" Aug 5. I had real problems recently with drops and pixing, which is real curious. I watched the fight tonight and not one problem. Changed channels and all are dropping and pixing???

My understanding is the 24" does not really provide an increase in gain. Its primary design is to see more than one bird; similar to the Dish500.

Hell of a fight, eh?!! Felt bad for Tyson but glad the underdog won. Williams was tough. My heart goes out to both of them.

bradley said:
What size dish, Matt?

Voom is going to install, what I gather, is a 30" Aug 5. I had real problems recently with drops and pixing, which is real curious. I watched the fight tonight and not one problem. Changed channels and all are dropping and pixing???

My understanding is the 24" does not really provide an increase in gain. Its primary design is to see more than one bird; similar to the Dish500.

The 24" and 28" dishes that have been shipping are meant to increase gain. They are slightly oval but taller than they are wide, and are not the oval multi-sat dishes that are promised. Those dishes will be much wider than tall and will provide gain as well.

Still - even with my 28 incher my signal is not sufficient to overcome rain fade. At one point Voom had promised that they would do something with the sat signal to increase the signal strength. When will this happen?

I just had upgrade 24" dish installed a week today and it does increase gain. I haven't had any rain fade problems with the new dish. It's rained in NE Pennsylvania two times in the last week.

Mine is 24" also. Ironically, a severe thunderstorm came through after the fight, and I lost signal while watching Signs on Starz. I don't blame it on the dish, extremely hard rain with hail and lightning. Fyi, my signal dropped to 55 during the downpour, and I lost picture at that time. It was only for about 5 min. then it went into the 70's and I got my picture back. I consider this good news since I used to drop to zero during even moderate rainfall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)