SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
Well, we have one in the other forum areas, so why not here? I'll start:

Last: The Last Witch Hunter

First movie I've watched in HDR. Looked stunning. Movie itself was just so-so.

Next: Hitman: Agent 47 or Maze Runner/Scortch Trials

S~

Reactions: charlesrshell
Last: Hitman: Agent 47

Movie was nothing new. Seemed like every Statham movie. UHD picture was spectacular.

Next: Maze Runner

S~

My FIRST 4K movie is here but I still don't have a way to play it yet because my Samsung 8500 player is still back ordered. :(

I decided to get Chappie, for two reasons, my 1080p version got broken by the grandkid so I needed to replace it, and the movie is said to be true 4K with no 2K production steps. I'm sure once the player gets here, I'll be ordering more.

In the Heart of the Sea, rented it on Vudu because I was curious what a UHD movie looked like on Vudu ( the Netflix stuff looks great ) and wanted to hear Atmos for the first time, movie looked and sounded great but the movie itself not so good, very boring.

Last: The Maze Runner

Not bad. Overall PQ and AQ was pretty nice.

Next: Scorch Trials

S~

I just bought two-
Chappie and Sicario

Chappie is REC 2020 and it looks like Sicario is Rec 709. Both have HDR.

Getting the proper color gamut, HDR, for these new UHD disks is not easy. It's a whole new learning curve and the equipment is still awkward to operate.

But once the correct settings are done for each program / title the visuals are stunning.

The Revenant wasn't full True 4K but it was a good story. My wife liked it and insisted we watch it twice. :)

I also decided to buy Salt as I liked it years ago when it came out. The movie has better detail and better HDR than The Revenant but Salt was also remastered with full 4K processing. There are very few movies that have such great pixel definition as so many UHD are really 2K masters.

gadgtfreak- On your LG TV did you notice a strong bluish look to most of the snow, except a few scenes in bright sunlight?

There are some known color mapping issues between the Samsung K8500 and the Sony 665ES in BT2020 and while I have most corrected with lots of tweaks, that title still had an over abundance of bluish coloration of the snow. iphone camera shot.
IMG_0264.JPG

Got the replacement copy of Gods of Egypt in and it is a great 3D movie. The image quality and depth is one of the best I have seen. I think these conversion 2D to 3D companies are really figuring it out.

Plus, when upscaled to 4K by the Sony Realty Creation, the 3D detail is really impressive.