LAST LAUGHS - 4DTV Extinct In STYLE

Status
Please reply by conversation.

litew8

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
United States
Well, here we are - 4DTV inching closer to extinction! I'm sitting here in (LITERALLY) a "BLIZZARD": CONSTANT 50++ MPH WINDS (hilltop/pinnacle) with sleet/snow... watching my 4DTV WITHOUT any interruption of audio/video!

Merry Christmas all!

Somebody sound the bugle.

Last edited:
Well, here we are - 4DTV inching closer to extinction! I'm sitting here in (LITERALLY) a "BLIZZARD": CONSTANT 50++ MPH WINDS (hilltop/pinnacle) with sleet/snow... watching my 4DTV WITHOUT any interruption of audio/video!

Merry Christmas all!

Somebody sound the bugle.

That's C band for you. Not like the Little Silly Dish. Try telling that to the masses though.

Same "no problem" notation for DSR-410 on C-band dish! Have had up and running for a week now. Pleased to have simplicity. Put the 922 in "mothballs" but may put it back as mover-only (offline where the LNB is concerned.) Nice having zero interruptions and independence from the mainstream suppliers!

But Directv has 99% signal reliability in clear weather!!!

I have one big beef with DirecTV, Rainfade. Everytime a heavy storm rolls through here with red showing up on the radar knocks it out even on my 90cm pointed at 101. I watched C band it a hell of a lot worse weather than what knocks Direct out and it worked flawless. If SRL and Skyvision can ever get the channels on the combo feeds some how that I have with Direct... Pizza will be history here. Bottom line ku sucks in bad weather no two ways about it.

we had a blizzard yesterday yet my Directv kept trucking along with signals above 95...including 2 100's

blizzard as in 22 inches of snow and 40+ mph winds

we had a blizzard yesterday yet my Directv kept trucking along with signals above 95...including 2 100's

blizzard as in 22 inches of snow and 40+ mph winds

Were getting 40 to 50 mph winds right now with blowing and drifting snow. The 90cm was covered with ice and snow and only a point or two less in quality. I just came in from outside and had to scrape the ice out of the dishes except the bud and shovel snow. Man it's cold out there. I think my Direct problem is when the clouds get saturated with moisture. I can't control that. Getting back to C band it don't care if the clouds are filled or not. I always laugh because the quality always stays at 99 on the 4D. If the Hits stuff really expands I will probably dump Direct when the contract ends. I will scale Direct back big time soon as the 1 year teaser is done and pick up bud subs. Plus in the summer with the storms here c band rocks :)

There IS a "dolby digital" light on the front that is on, I'm using analog audio, and the rear panel has a couple RCA jacks as I recall that are NOT analog use. (mine's in a rack now, so I don't have it handy) but...does that help???

Yes. For some reason I had my understanding backwards. Dolby Digital is a higher quality than 4DTV's Dolby Pro-Logic.
What's going to happen to the sounds if the 4DTV is converted into a DSR410?

It'd probably be better to buy the DSR410 instead of converting the 4D I'm thinking.

Last edited:
Yes. For some reason I had my understanding backwards. Dolby Digital is a higher quality than 4DTV's Dolby Pro-Logic.
What's going to happen to the sounds if the 4DTV is converted into a DSR410?

It'd probably be better to buy the DSR410 instead of convert the 4D I'm thinking.

Since my 4D was for subs, (and PBS) and I have the luxury of a second dish for FTA I didn't want to wait for the conversion, and bought a used 410. SRL is NOT charging activation fees, but you may want to do a "master reset" before calling for activation. My unit was locked in on the 500's and 600's in channel range, but reset made it work fine. And, if you are using LNBF newer unit, rotate it 90 degrees, or "no signal"....

I'm pleased with the unit, the guide being nearly identical, and the SRL service as always. It's also easy to sell to others! And, after January 4th, we get the "pick 10" and maybe other things...if the rumors on this site (and the hints) come true.

...and the saga continues.......

Well my experiance with problems with the pizza pan is bad lnbf, bad mounting of dish, or tree in the way. If you have a good install. I never was effected by anything. Except sunspots and coudy days. I think the last one I had a pizza pan it had a bad lnb but it only acted up when it was really cloudy. It was a pre-existing dish on the house i was moved into. But the installer wouldn't do anything about it since the tests came out okay. I called an compalined. They told me I should have not signed off on the install. That I should have demanded a lnbf replacement or dish. Josh

I'm told it's the band not the lack of dish size that causes fade. So if that is correct, even a 10 foot pointed at 101 for DirecTV will get fade in bad weather and Ka for HD would be worse.

This is why HITS moved the W5 channels back to C-band after being on Ku for a little while, I assume many cable companies complained about weather fade.

I noticed that the W5 power seems to be a bit higher than other C birds too (or my dish is just better aligned in the middle of the arc). Should stay working in a blizzard if you have a dish heater.

Ku has rain fade even on 15 foot dishes. Why do you think HITS abandoned Galaxy 16 ku. Pizza being at DBS frequency's and ka band too make it worse. C band just keeps going and going and going....

I really hope that we can get HITS to allow us the get the SES-1 channels somehow. C band IMHO is still better than any DBS service on ku band.

KU regularly goes out on my well tuned 10' when it rains....KA band has a shorter wavelength and would be even worse.
Mom has HD Directv and her's goes out in bad weather despite the signal levels being quite high when you check the percentages. I installed her slimline 5 ku/ka band swm dish and it does lose signal in bad weather.

The only way c band will lose signal in bad weather is if snow collects on the dish. it does take a lot of snow depending on the FEC of the signal you are receiving to take it out.

4DTV Online, nice site TvroPro! So there's been a discovery in not having to brick the 4Dtv in order to get W5 next year?

Does the "fix" also protect the ability to get things like Nebraska Educational TV while still accepting the W-5 stream, or will we have a functional dish mover with W-5 Reception only? That's the one thing I've missed somewhere along the line in all the discussions. Thanks for all the hard work on the project thus far!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts