Last post on Dishnetwork

bobd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
MINNEAPOLIS MN 55418
Dropped dishnetwork for time warner cable. Price wise they are about the same for what I will watch. Basic and standard is 46.95 plus 3.95 for movie pack which includes 7 encore channels both east and west coast feeds fox movie ifc sundance and movieplex. That is 18 channels for 3.95 My hdtv is cable ready which means I have a cable card slot the card only costs 1.75 per month. The upconversion of the tv is great I watched espn2 drag racing this sunday and I thought I was watching espn2hd it was that good. Less wires now in back of the tv with the cable card. Time warner also gives me in Minneapolis discovery hd theater and tnt hd for free they only charge for inhd inhd2 hdnet hdnet movie espnhd. With dish on the old hd pack I watched mostly tnthd so this is a plus for me. The sd channels and analog ones look real good with the cable card and the cable clear that come built in the tv. After four years with dish I do not miss my satellite now the change over to cable was a good experience I started out with dish never had cable only had free rabbit ear tv back then. MY hdtv is a Toshiba 62HM94 I really like this tv with my cable now. Any body out there with a hdtv with cable card should give it a try good luck to all of you guys bobd.

You are lucky to have a good cableco. I daresay most of us do not. Every place I have lived had a terrible cableco. And my in-laws are trapped by a cableco with only about 45 channels. No sat LoS.

Wow. Until recently the cable in our area was an old style A/B system with 26 channels. The system has been since updated to modern standards. That's why many in our area have dishes.

navychop said:
You are lucky to have a good cableco. I daresay most of us do not. Every place I have lived had a terrible cableco. And my in-laws are trapped by a cableco with only about 45 channels. No sat LoS.

I had Time Warner in Syracuse, Ny and I thought it stunk! The quality is crap and nothing compared to Dish. The converter boxes are outdated and their HD is a joke as their only channels are Discovery HD, TNT HD, INHD, INDH Movie, and ESPN I believe. Maybe they have added more recently. They do give you the locals which is a plus but not worth it to me as I still get a better picture of my locals in HD with my antenna in the backyard and no UPN HD or FOX HD either. I am glad to hear that Time Warner is better in your neck of the woods because its far from it here. Plus they charge you $7 PER box PER room. So for the same setup that I have with Dish it only costs me the extra $5 for another box but with Time Warner it would cost me and extra $21 to cover 3 rooms. Their prices just keep going up and up, but so do Dish's. However, Dish has far more HD content which is why I moved.

I think it sometimes depends on how far away you are from the Cable Head End. I am 2 1/2 miles away and most of the Cable Sd channels look better than the Dish Digital channels.

I'm researching the switch to cabel also. I just dont think its right to be forced to pay extra for the Voom channels just to get UnvHD & TNT under the new Dish Metal HD packages.

Voom requires their package be part of the basic HD offerings of any of their providers. That's why Dish no longer offers a Voom-less HD pack.

It's about as fair to pack in Voom in HD as it is to pack in ESPN, etc in programming packages that those of us with no interest in sports sub to. Or any channels of no particular interest to folks that sub to any given pack. Probably 100% of us have channels in their chosen packages that we NEVER watch.

i like the menu a lot better on dish than time warner digital cable. and last time i checked time warner doesn't have espn2hd. espn2 is great for college football weekday games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts