Latest project AMC6 fixed dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Here's some pics of my latest project, a bigger dish fixed on AMC6 c-band for NASA.
Had a 7.5 Winegard that I used the mount from, to make my motorized primestar setup, no really easy way to use the dish without a mount. So it sat in pieces behind the shed for nearly a year. I rounded up a spare polar mount from a friends defunct Sami 10' last fall and it was laying on the ground too, unused so I said Why shouldn't it work?
Flat piece of 1/8" steel I had left, just drilled holes to hold it onto the flat front parts of the polar mount, after drilling out the bolt pattern on the dish's center piece (bolts go all the way thru it, helps hold it together along with the bolts in the ribs of the dish). It was amazingly easy, the old polar mount had 4 tabs sticking up from it, but with the curvature of the winegard, they didn't stick up far enough to require me taking them off. It wasn't really meant to track, but apparently it does track the arc some, I know I started on AMC3 with it, just guessing, and motored east until I had signal strength. Scanned, and had NASA again, much better than my little 5' Wilson that I had been using. Signal quality went from about 12% to 38-40% ! Was quite pleased, and the lizards who live under it were too, they now have bigger shade when they need it, and more dish to crawl on when they need heat, lol.
One of the little gray buggers in the middle of the last shot, hard to see though.

Attachments

• 3sm.jpg
    3sm.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 224
  • 4sm.jpg
    4sm.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 217
  • 6sm.jpg
    6sm.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 8sm.jpg
    8sm.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 207
very cool!

by the way...what size dish? I couldnt figure out the size. you mentioned a 10 foot and a 7 1/2 foot but it sounds like you used the parts for that.

Nice Turbo....:up

How much dynamite does it take to blast a hole to plant a pole? :eek::D

That's a LOT of rock. :(

Anole's gonna complain about the size of the pictures...at his age they have to be BIG.....LOL

j/k Brother Anole...:D

Darned right !
I never did find Waldo in the last picture.
After all, are we looking at dishes or reptiles? - :D

Great work, grafting together all the spare pieces.
If you're just wanting a fixed dish for NASA, I guess you're done.
However, if you want to get the thing tracking the arc, it shouldn't be difficult.

I'm reminded of your old thread where you strapped a 1m Primestar (?) to a BUD mount 'n motor.
That was great fun, too!
Very creative.

A true SatGuy! - :up

He's there!

Anole that little gray fence lizard was just posing but my cheapo camera can't focus very close, lol. I found 2 of them under that new dish this afternoon, I piled the rocks up under it last year so they could have a place to hide on the 95degree days.
The smallest one will actually come out when I walk up, and watch me. If I don't drop a big wrench down there close by, anyway.
Stogie you are right about the holes, hole punch/drill and sledge hammer, railroad bar and lots of sweat. But by golly when I get one, it usually don't move, haha. Doesn't take a lot of concrete either!
Ice, the new dish is the 7.5 size Winegard, it was left over from last year's motorized primestar project that Anole remembers. I modified the mounting ring/polar mount from it to put the 1m on. So then I had a good C band dish with no mount, but I wasn't needing it then so I didn't care. Now, it has a purpose again.

Well done, turbo! I have an oddball 8' perf dish of unknown lineage that I didn't get a mount with, and a couple of spare Unimesh polar mounts that are begging for a project like this...hmmmmmm. :eureka

Ground around here is just like yours, makes a feller really do some thinking about LOS and location before he breaks out the pick, rockbar and posthole diggers. ;)

oh ok...didnt know you were using the 7.5 footer

by the way on a same topic (burying dishes) I have to laugh because I had a spot to bury a dish. In front of our townhouses we had these "hitching posts" that we yanked out last Saturday. What did they leave?

4 foot deep holes that were for a 6x6 timber.....and I thought "motorized dish in the front of the house"...which got quickly shot down by the association when I brought it up. I guess being the president I dont have all the pull ;)

Good job. Your final signal isn't bad for NASA. Those signals run a little lower than others on AMC-6. My 10' gets high 60's on the pansat 9200HD. The pansat has a poor tuner.

I haven't checked the signal level of NASA on my 7.5'. I do watch NASA on the other dish sometimes.

Nasa on both ends

Since I cut down a big cedar last year I can get NASA on AMC7 now, with my 10' dish, at about the same signal numbers.
Phlatwound, you can make just about anything work with enough engineering , lol.
I would think most any polar mount would work, using my method, as long as you can get a flat piece of steel mounted to the front of it. Or figure another way out to fasten the dish to it, if it won't attach properly. Might take some mods to the elevation and declination angles to track correctly, but for a fixed dish it was easy.

Nice work Turbo:up

It's always a pleasant sight to see a C band dish going up.

We can almost see the other dishes in pic 2, how about a pic from the front of the line up?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts